Vancouver
GettyImages-512854590.jpg

Born May 5, 1998 | Helsinki, FIN
Height 6 ft 3 in (191 cm)
Weight 188 lb (85 kg; 13 st 6 lb)
Position Defence
Shoots Left

SDxfXPo.jpg

A competitive spark-plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman who can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blueliner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Well the last time we took a Knight over a top ranked offensive winger it turned out pretty well, hopefully this goes as well or better :laugh:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Initially I hated this pick, as the triple whammy of Dubois, Puljujarvi and Tkachuk going by the wayside clouded my judgment. I wanted a showstopper at 5 and the reality is, losing the lottery meant that wasn't going to happen this year (**** you Oilers.)

The thing that bothers me the most here is that Juolevi appears to have lower star potential than pretty much every pick selected around him, a likelihood made worse by the fact that our rivals were the ones scooping said players up. But nobody has a crystal ball and can predict who will turn out.

However, I'm a lot happier Benning went a safer route here rather than taking a risk, as Juolevi still has a lot of potential going forward. He could have just defaulted to his next highest ranked center, who was probably Logan Brown (which would have been a disaster.)

I'm interested to see how he does next season. More points should definitely be expected, despite losing Marner and Dvorak. He's also AHL eligible so that's also an option, though I don't know if he's physically ready for that yet.

Last edited:

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Super disappointed we did not end up with PLD.But the more i think about it,in 2 to 3 years OJ will be our #1 because this kid is the real deal.It would not surprise me if he makes our team out of camp,but it would not hurt him to go back to London either. It is what it is guys.This is probably the best thing for our defense because it will knock Sbisa down another notch and hopefully out of our line up.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well the last time we took a Knight over a top ranked offensive winger it turned out pretty well, hopefully this goes as well or better :laugh:

Technically both are Knights so we picked a Knight over another Knight :laugh:

Like I said before, I like Olli. I really wanted Dubois but I don't think this is a reach. Tkachuk is a very good player, he would have been good too but this sets us up for Hutton and Juolevi down the left for a long time.

Initially I hated this pick, as the triple whammy of Dubois, Puljujarvi and Tkachuk going by the wayside clouded my judgment. I wanted a showstopper at 5 and the reality is, losing the lottery meant that wasn't going to happen this year (**** you Oilers.)

I'm a lot happier Benning went a safer route here, as Juolevi still has a lot of potential going forward. He could have just defaulted to his next highest ranked center, who was probably Logan Brown (which would have been a disaster.)

I'm interested to see how he does next season. More points should definitely be expected, despite losing Marner and Dvorak. He's also AHL eligible so that's also an option, though I don't know if he's physically ready for that yet.

I think he definitely needs Junior next year and then AHL the next. I don't think he's ready for AHL travel, he's one year into his NA career, Edler won't be going anywhere soon so let the kid marinade a bit.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Do people not realize how hard it is to score 50 points for an NHL defender?
Juolevi is now Canuck property and the last 6-7 months of discussion has gone out the window. Anything is possible and likely achievable.

Before the draft: It was hotly debated who was the top defender in this draft, perhaps the biggest debate of this draft as there was a wide variance of opinions. Many agreed that this was not a strong year at the top for defender and because of that there are 3 strong considerations for the 1st defender.
After the draft: Juolevi was the unanimous best defender.

Before the draft: There are no clear #1 defenders in this draft - agreed upon by GMs and many scouts alike.
After the draft: Juolevi will be a #1 defender, there's nothing stopping him.

Before the draft: A lot of scouting publications had a clear top 3 and a solid 4-5 grouping including 2 forwards. A single publication had him 5th, the remainder had him 6-12.
After the draft: The obvious choice was Juolevi.

Of course that logical argument got me nothing but ridicule as most of you had convinced yourselves it was a clearcut top 5 when no scouts agreed with that premise.
Incorrect.

The Aggregate Google Spreadsheet of rankings

It is clear that the majority scouts agreed with that premise. It is clear that the Canucks scouts did not. That's the bottom line.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Remember being reminded very much of Provorov by Juolevi during his WJC performance. Commanding offensive zone presence and excellent transition, very neat passes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Juolevi is now Canuck property and the last 6-7 months of discussion has gone out the window. Anything is possible and likely achievable.

Before the draft: It was hotly debated who was the top defender in this draft, perhaps the biggest debate of this draft as there was a wide variance of opinions. Many agreed that this was not a strong year at the top for defender and because of that there are 3 strong considerations for the 1st defender.

Before the draft: There are no clear #1 defenders in this draft - agreed upon by GMs and many scouts alike.

Before the draft: A lot of scouting publications had a clear top 3 and a solid 4-5 grouping including 2 forwards. A single publication had him 5th, the remainder had him 6-12.

Incorrect.

It is clear that the majority scouts agreed with that premise. It is clear that the Canucks scouts did not. That's the bottom line.

Further to this, if the Blue Jackets do the expected.. where dues Juolevi slide to? Edmonton goes Sergachev, we go PLD, Calgary likely still goes Tkachuk. Does he fall to 9? Out of the top ten?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Further to this, if the Blue Jackets do the expected.. where dues Juolevi slide to? Edmonton goes Sergachev, we go PLD, Calgary likely still goes Tkachuk. Does he fall to 9? Out of the top ten?

I imagine Buffalo would have taken him at 8.

I still don't think it's 100% Edmonton wanted Serg, Chiarelli was high on Tkachuk as well.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He has the hockey sense to make the NHL but he needs more strength so I really hope the Canucks don't rush him and use him as a shiny new toy to lure in fans.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
So do you guys think he will go to Utica next season? He is eligible.

I kinda hope he does. Great way to learn.

Is that official?

I think it's too early to say. He's not ready right now at 180lbs. I suppose if he could add another 10lbs over the offseason he could play pro at 190. Probably better to give him another year of junior and a couple of offseasons to fill out.

Juolevi isn't likely to be a 50 point NHL guy but I think his ceiling is being judged unfairly compared to Tkachuk. Is Tkachuk likely to be Corey Perry? Are we ready to give a guy available at 5oa a likely top 5 winger in the world projection?

Tkachuk's ceiling is being compared to Juolevi's likely projection imo.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Is that official?

I think it's too early to say. He's not ready right now at 180lbs. I suppose if he could add another 10lbs over the offseason he could play pro at 190. Probably better to give him another year of junior and a couple of offseasons to fill out.

Juolevi isn't likely to be a 50 point NHL guy but I think his ceiling is being judged unfairly compared to Tkachuk. Is Tkachuk likely to be Corey Perry? Are we ready to give a guy available at 5oa a likely top 5 winger in the world projection?

Yeah he could end up as something special. Don't want to ruin it by rushing him too fast.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Is that official?

I agree with everything here. Tkachuk will be a very good player but if his ceiling was as high as some are saying he would have been ranked higher.

Olli Juolevi

Jun 25, 2016
Hamburg, Germany

Incorrect.

Tkachuk was arguably the consensus #5 pick for sure but was he the #5 pick for us? Can we build a team around Tkachuk? Is he going to significantly improve this team in 5 years?

I honestly saw him as a 2/3 line complimentary forward. Great if you have a #1C but otherwise doesn't create offense on his own.

I see Juolevi as a player that tries to play a game from 0-60 minutes with no mistakes. His vision and anticipation of where the play is going are strong assets to have. While a lot of people are pumping his tires the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, he's hopefully going to be like Hamhuis or Vlasic. A player that plays a fundamentally sound game that can punish the oppositions mistakes.

That's a hell of a lot better than drafting a 2/3 LW and unless you think Tkachuk can anchor a top line I'd rather draft Juolevi.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Edmonton would take Tkachuk
We take PLD
Clagary take Juolevi
Sergachev was never gonna cracked the top 6

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
So do you guys think he will go to Utica next season? He is eligible.

I kinda hope he does. Great way to learn.

Per Thomas Drance's Twitter:

"Linden says Juolevi wasn't on loan to London as Honka was. Will be subject to NHL-CHL transfer agreement."

So AHL isn't an option.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
It's a shame that Juoelvi can't play in the AHL, but the silver lining is that he is playing on one of the best Junior hockey programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad