Prospect Info: LD Olli Juolevi - London Knights - 5th Overall 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Exactly. I don't know that i'd say you can't win a cup with a guy like Karlsson or a guy playing that way...Letang does verge on that type of play at times.

But as a whole, absolutely...it's about how quick efficient puck movement allows a team to play in "synergistic" units. It's what Babcock (best coach in the world apparently?) Team Canadas are built on.

Maybe this is nit-picking, I don't know. But you can win with guys like Karlsson, he is like a coffee. Even now you have guys like a letang that you mentioned, I think Keith has some of that in him, as does Doughty. All these guys can make a great first pass, but can also skate the puck. The key is having that ability but making the right decision on when to use it.

Joulevi has the tools to be able to do this, he just needs to develop it more. A lot like what others have said, and I think it was you he made the point be more assertive.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's going to be important that the coaching team/management challenges Juolevi, challenges him to take a more offensive role.
He's looked different in NA ice from what I've seen from him vs what he looked at the WJC.

He has more offensive potential than what he has shown in NA ice and I hope he gets challenged on that to develop into elite 2way D-player.
He has that potential but right now doesn't look like a prospect who's been asked to play that role.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's a young kid who just turned 18 a few months ago. He seems like a pretty confident guy but it's his first camp so he's probably trying to play a safer game right now. We'll have a better idea in a couple of years what his offensive upside is.
The level of poise he has and his defensive, skating and passing skills look to be already at a high level. It's impossible to project right now whether the offence will hit that same level.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
He's a young kid who just turned 18 a few months ago. He seems like a pretty confident guy but it's his first camp so he's probably trying to play a safer game right now. We'll have a better idea in a couple of years what his offensive upside is.
The level of poise he has and his defensive, skating and passing skills look to be already at a high level. It's impossible to project right now whether the offence will hit that same level.

Who else does this description match almost to a tee? None other than 19 year old Bo Horvat, another product of the London Knights whose defensive prowess had people overlook his high offensive potential.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who else does this description match almost to a tee? None other than 19 year old Bo Horvat, another product of the London Knights whose defensive prowess had people overlook his high offensive potential.

That's a great analogy!
As a development team the London Knights do an amazing job of teaching these kids to play responsibly in their own end of the rink. They've become a prospect factory.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cue the controversy.....if Juolevi is nearly ready for the NHL would you roll the dice if you were the Canucks, maybe trading Tanev as part of a package to the Jets for Jacob Trouba?....what a d-corps that would be!:handclap:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Cue the controversy.....if Juolevi is nearly ready for the NHL would you roll the dice if you were the Canucks, maybe trading Tanev as part of a package to the Jets for Jacob Trouba?....what a d-corps that would be!:handclap:

holy ****

edler trouba
hutton gudbranson
juolevi tryamkin

not gonna lie thats the best defense we have ever had or will have until edler swaps with olli. good god

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Pass on Trouba. I don't trust any young players from the Jets will ever live up to their hype. Remember when Zach Bogosian was going to be the best defenseman in the league?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pass on Trouba. I don't trust any young players from the Jets will ever live up to their hype. Remember when Zach Bogosian was going to be the best defenseman in the league?

Not a Trouba fan at all.. another one of those players I've watched and just don't get the hype past the edge he plays with.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Not a Trouba fan at all.. another one of those players I've watched and just don't get the hype past the edge he plays with.

the hype came from 10G 29P in 65 games 2 years removed from being drafted.....and the edge. he's stuck behind Myers and Byfuglien on the right side which has killed his numbers, but in the right situation those could improve enough for Kirk Overhardt to suck even more money out of the league......:sarcasm:

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa

According to Bob, they are asking for a lefty in return (otherwise they are stuck with high end righties). Edler won't be enough.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Trouba for Tanev? No thanks, and certainly not before knowing the price to re-sign him. I'm not a big fan of young players holding out to force a trade when the reasons are as tenuous as wanting to play the right side rather than left. If money isn't the issue sign your qualifying offer or a one year deal, go to training camp and wait for a trade. I can understand young players wanting to play and play his preferred position, but he is getting over 20 minutes a game and getting 2nd pairing PP time. Of course, he is an unsigned free agent so he is entitled to sit out and wait for a trade.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

personally would not to that deal Winnipeg would ask for us to Tanev. I would have moved Tanev for barrie I think we need a top 4 dman with more offensive upside or at least a bit of a threat on the point

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
holy ****

edler trouba
hutton gudbranson
juolevi tryamkin

not gonna lie thats the best defense we have ever had or will have until edler swaps with olli. good god

No it's not; it just looks good based on potential but has barely any NHL experience or proven players. Best defence we've iced was in 2011 with most of these players in their prime:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Rome - Salo
Tanev/Ballard/Alberts

Last edited:

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
No it's not; it just looks good based on potential but has barely any NHL experience or proven players. Best defence we've iced was in 2011 with all of these players in their prime:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Rome - Tanev
Ballard/Alberts

Blech....

Idk if it's just me but I like the look of Tryamkin/Pedan/Juolevi/Stecher/Biega hell maybe even Sbisa better than that 6-8

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Blech....

Idk if it's just me but I like the look of Tryamkin/Pedan/Juolevi/Stecher/Biega hell maybe even Sbisa better than that 6-8

Agreed, but a lot of it is having new and exciting prospects like Juolevi and Stecher that we simply don't really know much about in terms of NHL ability.
At the time, people were pretty high on Ballard even though he never really did much for this team (everyone just blamed AV for it). Rome was a plug, but he was a stable plug that could still throw some decent hits and stay in position. He was one of the better depth dman we've had in recent years.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Blech....

Maybe if you're projecting that list to what they're going to be then sure. That team also had a much better top 4 that they could lean on. Not taking into account age I'd take Rome and likely Ballard over most, if not all, of that list. I'd also take Alberts over Sbisa anyday.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
No it's not; it just looks good based on potential but has barely any NHL experience or proven players. Best defence we've iced was in 2011 with most of these players in their prime:

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Rome - Salo
Tanev/Ballard/Alberts

1994 was just as good. I can't remember the pairings, but...
Lumme = Hamhuis
Diduck = Bieksa
Brown = Ehrhoff
Hedican = Salo
Babych < Edler
Murzyn > Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad