LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Ki
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
Kid is a physical beast.Just needs quicker pivot skating is fine.Perfect defender in our pipeline.Other than Borgen we have basically all offensive defence men in Dahlin,Montour,Risto ,Pilut.Prospects Bryson,Fitzgerald and Laaksonen all offensive first D.I remember when we drafted him Bodde Wilde was walking by sabre table and said'so you got your perfect partner for Dahlin'.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ki

Kid is a physical beast.Just needs quicker pivot skating is fine.Perfect defender in our pipeline.Other than Borgen we have basically all offensive defence men in Dahlin,Montour,Risto ,Pilut.Prospects Bryson,Fitzgerald and Laaksonen all offensive first D.I remember when we drafted him Bodde Wilde was walking by sabre table and said'so you got your perfect partner for Dahlin'.

Fitz is definitely more on the defensive end of things than the rest of the prospect set from my viewings, but yeah, there is a role for Samuelsson's style still. Hopefully he has a strong season at WMU and gets a bigger role on the U20 team as well.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Fitz is definitely more on the defensive end of things than the rest of the prospect set from my viewings, but yeah, there is a role for Samuelsson's style still. Hopefully he has a strong season at WMU and gets a bigger role on the U20 team as well.
Yes i agree with Fitz and knew you would pick that up lmao..Probably should have said toughness

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ki

Big, slow and dumb- is that the new trend by people on here? it used to be smaller skilled players were the ones getting overlooked, now we have flipped the switch and pigeonholed all bigger players, especially defensemen into this thought process.

Samuelsson was okay this year, nothing great but hardly anything close to the idiotic takes on here. The kid is STILL growing, and anyone who is under 6'2 simply does not understand the difficulties with growing into your frame and playing a sport at the same time. It is why Pronger and Erik Johnson took years to develop into top dmen...

For me, I look at Mattias as a player that can have a career like Derek Forbort but with a bit more skill. Can he be a Parayko out there?? I don't know, but I think there is enough there that we have seen that shows he is far more than a lumbering giant goof as was side prior. Somewhere between Forbort and Parayko is where this kid can be. His skating is solid for his size, his physicality and ability to clear creases is very good..he has some things to work on, but not sure what more people could want so far with a kid like this. He is maturing and performing at expectations, he has a solid shot to be a NHLer in 2-3 years (full-time)..anyone that has watched this kid can see the role he can easily carve out at the NHL level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just ignore that guy. I don't even see the posts, but I know already what it is. He's a big-time shill for Jeff Gorton.

This guy views Samuelsson as a threat to K'Andre Miller, so he's going to bash him. This is the same thing he did for Wilde. He bashed him because he viewed him as a threat. He was the expert on all the NTDP defensemen hours after the 2018 draft, despite having never watched any of them play. The same as the experts on certain players the day after they see the draft lottery results.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
For me, I look at Mattias as a player that can have a career like Derek Forbort but with a bit more skill. Can he be a Parayko out there?? I don't know, but I think there is enough there that we have seen that shows he is far more than a lumbering giant goof as was side prior. Somewhere between Forbort and Parayko is where this kid can be. His skating is solid for his size, his physicality and ability to clear creases is very good..he has some things to work on, but not sure what more people could want so far with a kid like this. He is maturing and performing at expectations, he has a solid shot to be a NHLer in 2-3 years (full-time)..anyone that has watched this kid can see the role he can easily carve out at the NHL level.

I think he'll be better than that. He's a great defensive player, and an above-average skater for any player. He's the type of defensemen that has the capability to be the best player in his own zone on his team. That probably won't be the case on a team with Dahlin, but he has top 4 potential because of how well he defends. I don't think he'll kill the transition and offensive game, but its not his speciality. He's bland with the puck. Not a great PP guy, although there's a chance he could be a 2PP player. I view him as a likely top 4 defensemen, and maybe an outside chance that he'll be an Ekholm type of player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Made the U20 WJSS summer cuts, one of 10 defensemen left in camp for the US.

And a little cyber ink from nhl.com:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for stealing our players USA. First wahlstrom and now samuelsson. Plenty of other examples too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The returners from last year are Farabee, Drury, Wahlstrom, Miller, Samuelsson and Knight. Goalies don’t wear letters. I doubt Wahlstrom or Miller are the captain. Maybe Miller wears a letter. It’s probably down to Samuelsson, Farabee and an outside shot for Drury. I’d guess Samuelsson is the clear favorite to be the captain of this years team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The returners from last year are Farabee, Drury, Wahlstrom, Miller, Samuelsson and Knight. Goalies don’t wear letters. I doubt Wahlstrom or Miller are the captain. Maybe Miller wears a letter. It’s probably down to Samuelsson, Farabee and an outside shot for Drury. I’d guess Samuelsson is the clear favorite to be the captain of this years team.

Given his history in the NTDP as a letter-wearer and him getting one at WMU for this upcoming season, seems like a solid chance he'll have one for the U20's. The comments I keep hearing and reading is about how much teammates like the guy, how people gravitate to him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I’ve been saying for a year and a half, Samuelsson is the captain this year. His teammates always mention him as the leader in the locker room of the teams he plays for, so this is not a surprise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As I’ve been saying for a year and a half, Samuelsson is the captain this year. His teammates always mention him as the leader in the locker room of the teams he plays for, so this is not a surprise.
https://mobile.twitter.com/usahocke...iframe/2/twitter.min.html#1209559997895626754

Not a surprise. It was always going to be Samuelsson or Farabee if he was made eligible. They were always the two leaders of the 2000s at the USNTDP. Farabee was the regular season captain and Samuelsson got the letter at the U-18's.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's already hit his point totals from last season in 11 less games. He now has 12 in 24 games, which for a defensive defensemen who isn't likely to ever be a big scorer is pretty good in his second season of college hockey.

EP labels him as wearing the "C" for Western Michigan, which I couldn't believe. There's no way that a sophomore is the captain of his team, but I checked the team website and he's wearing an "A", which is still pretty impressive for a sophomore. You rarely see that happen.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Made his NHL debut tonight. Didn’t stand out in a bad way. Pretty much all you can ask for in 14 minutes of TOI. He’s definitely not small...

He's a big young defensive d man. Looked comfortable during the game. He won't be in Rochester very long I'd suspect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had two assists yesterday, one of which he pinned Marchand to the boards very easily to start the transition out of the zone.

How’s he playing?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He had two assists yesterday, one of which he pinned Marchand to the boards very easily to start the transition out of the zone.

How’s he playing?
He's playing his usual game. Had some hiccups but for the most part has been sound defensively and has quickly moved the puck. No complaints, he just needs more experience to get more comfortable

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
He will play for a long time in the league. He is not the sexy offensive dman but is the dman every team realizes they still need. Big, strong, pins the man on the boards, clears the net, head man’s the puck. Very mature leader type player who will wear a letter. Has some offensive instincts as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He will play for a long time in the league. He is not the sexy offensive dman but is the dman every team realizes they still need. Big, strong, pins the man on the boards, clears the net, head man’s the puck. Very mature leader type player who will wear a letter. Has some offensive instincts as well.
As long as you can safely and competently move the puck with those other skills you are a long-term top 4 defender in this league, who will free up his partner to take more risks and be aggressive.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can't get past this guy, he uses his reach and stick so effectively.

I've been saying this since he was playing at the NTDP. His physical advantage was supposed to go away as he moved up. It hasn't. Some players have a physical advantage, even in the NHL.

Players try to skate past him, and he either pokes the puck away with his reach and stick or he pins them to the boards and/or legally interferes with them. Nothing has changed since junior hockey, except a few players can find a way by him now due to elite sense/skating/skill, but its still very few.

I saw someone recently compare him to Chara, and while I don't agree with the comparison, he can do some of the same things with how he takes a guy trying to get by him out of the play with sheer physicality/reach/his stick.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Love this kid. Thought he was great value at the time he was picked, just hard to miss when a guy is this solidly built, athletic and smart.

If he’s Tallinder 2.0, that’s exactly the type of defender the Sabres blueline has been needing in a bad way for a while now. I expect him to be an integral piece of that puzzle sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00