LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
It's not some arbitrary bias you nerd. Big defensemen have gotten by on their size for much of NHL history, which is why plenty of guys still get drafted exclusively for their size. Players who are 6'5"+ get drafted way ahead of their talent level all the time. When you see a guy who isn't really good at any one aspect of the game, but is pretty tall, ranked in the first round, well, I've seen this movie before, man.

NHL scouting staffs are ancient. They don't adapt to anything. That's why Vegas plucked an elite team from the leagues leftovers; those guys were all poorly evaluated and utilized by their own scouting staff. That's why guys like Mattias Samuelsson keep going in the first round; cause they would have been great in the 90s.

Its not a bumper sticker. If you are a defenseman who doesn't put up points, you better be good tat moving the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining puck possession. If you're just "good defensively" all you're good at is giving up shot attempts. Useless.

Samuelsson does an excellent job at transitioning the puck out of the zone and excellent job of getting the puck from forwards before they can get strong offensive chances. He's not without ability to move the puck. Likely just maxes out as a 30-40 point guy in the NHL.

You're sterotyping Samuelsson. His size is an added asset, not a defining feature.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
It's not some arbitrary bias you nerd. Big defensemen have gotten by on their size for much of NHL history, which is why plenty of guys still get drafted exclusively for their size. Players who are 6'5"+ get drafted way ahead of their talent level all the time. When you see a guy who isn't really good at any one aspect of the game, but is pretty tall, ranked in the first round, well, I've seen this movie before, man.

NHL scouting staffs are ancient. They don't adapt to anything. That's why Vegas plucked an elite team from the leagues leftovers; those guys were all poorly evaluated and utilized by their own scouting staff. That's why guys like Mattias Samuelsson keep going in the first round; cause they would have been great in the 90s.

Its not a bumper sticker. If you are a defenseman who doesn't put up points, you better be good tat moving the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining puck possession. If you're just "good defensively" all you're good at is giving up shot attempts. Useless.

Tanev, Hjalmarsson, Vlasic, Slavin, Larsson....

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I think he's the second best player at defending right now from this draft after Dahlin. If a team really wanted to throw him into the NHL immediately, I think he could do the job that the 6D plug plays. I wouldn't do that because he has other parts of his game to improve, but he defends really well.

I hope your right about Samuelsson and Dahlin as the Sabres drafted both of them!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can you imagine a Samuelsson-Dahlin first pairing? Absolute monsters. Teams won't score on that pairing. Put them out in the playoffs for 25-30 minutes, and you'll shut teams down.

I've actually seen Dahlin play a lot on the right side. I wouldn't be so sure he plays the left side in the NHL. His playing style actually might do better on the right where he can cut inside.

And then to have Ristolainen on the second pairing shows Buffalo's depth. Pair that with a 1C on offense, and Buffalo has all the makings of one of the best teams in the NHL in a few years.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Samuelsson is quietly a great prospect, if defensive contributions matter in hockey anymore. I think he's a lock for the team this year, and he'll probably be the captain next year.

Reactions: Mitts888

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Samuelsson is quietly a great prospect, if defensive contributions matter in hockey anymore. I think he's a lock for the team this year, and he'll probably be the captain next year.

While I like Samuelsson as a prospect, I think those predictions are highly optimistic. Going straight from the NTDP to the NHL hasn't happened before, so to expect Mattias to be the first is a little unrealistic, IMO. And I think Eichel is probably slated as the Sabres captain of the future.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
While I like Samuelsson as a prospect, I think those predictions are highly optimistic. Going straight from the NTDP to the NHL hasn't happened before, so to expect Mattias to be the first is a little unrealistic, IMO. And I think Eichel is probably slated as the Sabres captain of the future.
I think he was talking about Samuelsson's role.on the US WJC team.

Reactions: Chainshot

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He will be an excellent defensmen at the junior and college level but he really needs to improve puck skills or he will fall the same fate to Steve Santini.

Samuelsson's a better player to begin with.

I think people are really starting to overrate this part of the game though. Skating is another one they make too big of a deal over. There are even more defensemen now in the NHL who quite simply cannot defend. Being able to defend is becoming increasingly valuable, considering a lot of "defensive defensemen" now aren't even defensive guys. They are players who don't have big offensive skills, so thats what they are branded now as long as they aren't disasters defensively, can skate and move the puck. Samuelsson doesn't have terrible puck skills. He can move the puck competently and he's not unable to handle the puck either, although its not a strength. I don't see this area as an issue.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Samuelsson's a better player to begin with.

I think people are really starting to overrate this part of the game though. Skating is another one they make too big of a deal over. There are even more defensemen now in the NHL who quite simply cannot defend. Being able to defend is becoming increasingly valuable, considering a lot of "defensive defensemen" now aren't even defensive guys. They are players who don't have big offensive skills, so thats what they are branded now as long as they aren't disasters defensively, can skate and move the puck. Samuelsson doesn't have terrible puck skills. He can move the puck competently and he's not unable to handle the puck either, although its not a strength. I don't see this area as an issue.

He is better but when a defensmen lacks puck skills they have tremendous trouble getting it out of the zone at the pro level and keeping it in the offensive zone. Santini is a tremendous defender without the puck but as I said in another thread, that is only half the defensive game, the other half is getting it up the ice.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I was shocked when Samuelsson made it past the top 20 picks. Great pick to follow Dahlin.

... and even more suprised when his teammate Adam Samuelsson (no relation) was passed over completely.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No, Mattias won't be an especially good puck mover. Maybe a tick below average at the NHL level, can be a little slow at times moving it, but he's a very smart player, so he can still make a read and he's not totally deficient with pucks. Pairing him with someone a little more adept in the entry/exit game will help. But if he was an especially good puck mover, he goes much higher.

I understand the need and want for players with puck skills, especially in the transition game, but what gets lost in the shuffle is that you can still be a positive effecter of the game without it (and I mean statistically, not just coach speak), though you need a lot going right. And Mattias has that. He's great at preventative defense keeping pucks out of his own end to begin with: he's adept in the cycle game and pinching so as to keep pucks in the offensive zone; his gaps are pretty tight; and of course he's a monster physically. To the puck moving point, Mattias is great at winning puck battles and being in sound position in his own end, so as to create CHANGES of possession. If he can't capitalize on them all, his teammates can help. That's just part of the give and take.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad