LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought he was bad today, like all the defensemen were. Top half of the first round player, in my opinion. Those who think the NHL is a video game probably won't list him in the first round, maybe not the second round, but defensive defensemen have a role in the NHL.

You aren't drafting him to QB the PP. He's not a plug, he moves well for a player of any height and can move the puck. The hands are bad, and there's absolutely no offensive flash, but he can definitely be a 20+ minute shutdown D who can give you 25-30 points. I don't see why not.

they have been bad all year, and by they I mean the US coaching staff. they have had no system in their own zone for months. I do not view the players at fault, I just think their system is terrible, if you could even call it that. I personally liked his game today, he did the little things when needed, he got caught flat footed once or twice, but outside of that he was engaged, physical, getting pucks to the net - not sure what else more you would want from him to be honest.

Bode Wilde, Mattias Samuelsson, and Ty Emberson are much better players than that shit defensive system has showcased this year. All three will be high picks based on skill and potential, I hope people aren't watching these games thinking this is all on the players...it isn't as hasn't been all year - Seth Appert and his NO defensive system per the norm. Talk to those that have watched this program for years, night and day with what has been going on in their own zone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
they have been bad all year, and by they I mean the US coaching staff. they have had no system in their own zone for months. I do not view the players at fault, I just think their system is terrible, if you could even call it that. I personally liked his game today, he did the little things when needed, he got caught flat footed once or twice, but outside of that he was engaged, physical, getting pucks to the net - not sure what else more you would want from him to be honest.

Bode Wilde, Mattias Samuelsson, and Ty Emberson are much better players than that **** defensive system has showcased this year. All three will be high picks based on skill and potential, I hope people aren't watching these games thinking this is all on the players...it isn't as hasn't been all year - Seth Appert and his NO defensive system per the norm. Talk to those that have watched this program for years, night and day with what has been going on in their own zone.

Samuelsson and Emberson looked really bad on the Lafreniere goal, I thought. He had a few poor clear attempts that I don't think were punished today. He also had a few bad plays in the offensive zone that ended good attempts for his team. The offensive zone plays aren't even that important because its not really his game, but I hold his defensive play to a much higher regard. I expect him to be the best player in his own zone player every game he plays. I thought he was outplayed in that regard by Smith and Byram. Of course he had a few nice plays because he's very good defensively, but I thought he could've been better today.

I completely agree though about the system. Appert makes these guys look so much worse than they are. I thought today was as bad as they've looked all season from the games I watched, maybe its just that the competition today was the best they've faced all season. I don't like the pairings either.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Samuelsson and Emberson looked really bad on the Lafreniere goal, I thought. He had a few poor clear attempts that I don't think were punished today. He also had a few bad plays in the offensive zone that ended good attempts for his team. The offensive zone plays aren't even that important because its not really his game, but I hold his defensive play to a much higher regard. I expect him to be the best player in his own zone player every game he plays. I thought he was outplayed in that regard by Smith and Byram. Of course he had a few nice plays because he's very good defensively, but I thought he could've been better today.

I completely agree though about the system. Appert makes these guys look so much worse than they are. I thought today was as bad as they've looked all season from the games I watched, maybe its just that the competition today was the best they've faced all season. I don't like the pairings either.

I thought Emberson got torched on that goal - I don't recall Samuelsson really being at fault there, but it was a hell of a move and finish regardless.

I just don't recall much that Mattias did that hurt the team today, and that is usually how he plays, steady and sturdy out there. I even saw him down low a number of times trying to generate a cycle along the wall which blew me away. I am not saying he had a great game, just thought he was solid and played his game. He was very noticeable all game to me, most of it in a positive way. But I honestly wasn't overly watching him today, he always caught my eye in a good way.

Bode Wilde was just on a mission out there, either to make a massive hit or try to skate through everyone. Wilde had a game that he has had 30 times this year - looked great at times, and other times was terrible. His biggest issue has always been and will always be that decision making. It is why I list him in every boom/bust thread. This kid has everything you could want in a defensemen, an elite defensemen...and then you see the ugly side, the side that could hold him back at the NHL level. I do like the Subban comp when it comes to talent/IQ - Wilde has that as well...I can easily see why a team would want Wilde as a top 12 pick, but beware, be very aware!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA U18 D corps looking, i say, ......overated right now

I don't think so. I think they are very poorly coached. The team has been having these defensive problems all season. Wilde, Miller, A. Samuelsson have all shown no development this season.

How can all of them be overrated? That doesn't make sense. It would make more sense if it was one or two of them.

Mattias has been the best defenseman through two games. He was very good today, and wasn't as bad as the other defensemen against Canada, although I didn't think he played well.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don't think so. I think they are very poorly coached. The team has been having these defensive problems all season. Wilde, Miller, A. Samuelsson have all shown no development this season.

How can all of them be overrated? That doesn't make sense. It would make more sense if it was one or two of them.

Mattias has been the best defenseman through two games. He was very good today, and wasn't as bad as the other defensemen against Canada, although I didn't think he played well.
I have been very critical of first year coach Seth Appert in the NTDP thread this entire season. While the U18 defensemen do have flaws that need to be addressed, these same players were not this bad last season playing under Danton Cole, who is now the head coach at Michigan State. I have never seen a talented major junior team give up so many breakaways and odd man rushes as this team, and nothing has been addressed as the season progressed. I really hope USA Hockey finds a replacement for Appert next season - - I do not want to see him ruining a new crop of players on the U17 team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have been very critical of first year coach Seth Appert in the NTDP thread this entire season. While the U18 defensemen do have flaws that need to be addressed, these same players were not this bad last season playing under Danton Cole, who is now the head coach at Michigan State. I have never seen a talented major junior team give up so many breakaways and odd man rushes as this team, and nothing has been addressed as the season progressed. I really hope USA Hockey finds a replacement for Appert next season - - I do not want to see him ruining a new crop of players on the U17 team.
He’s not a good coach going back to RPI. The USNTDP program succeeds more on the back of the elite talent they bring in than the actual coaching. I didn’t think Cole was very good either, but Appert makes him look great.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He’s not a good coach going back to RPI. The USNTDP program succeeds more on the back of the elite talent they bring in than the actual coaching. I didn’t think Cole was very good either, but Appert makes him look great.

I never saw RPI play under Appert, but their record was very underwhelming during his nine years there. I wondered if those RPI teams were this bad defensively, too.

Other than Appert, I have actually been impressed with the coaching of the NTDP teams during the program's three seasons here in Plymouth. The players seem in the proper position and try to make the proper play the vast majority of the time. Other people we have brought as guests made similar positive comments on the coaching, as well. That is one reason this U18 squad stood out as so bad to me.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I'm guessing lazy analysis.

How many games of him have you watched?
Any negative criticism and this is the response you get on prospects. You have to understand that people have different opinions. If we all had the same opinion, there would be no need to talk about prospects. You're just assuming he's lazy because he doesn't share the same opinion.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any negative criticism and this is the response you get on prospects. You have to understand that people have different opinions. If we all had the same opinion, there would be no need to talk about prospects. You're just assuming he's lazy because he doesn't share the same opinion.

Actually, no.

I usually would agree with what you are saying, but now it's popular to say any defenseman whose over 6'2 will be a plug bust. I see this said so often.

Reactions: kabidjan18

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Flyers pick at 19. I’ve heard his name mentioned quite a few times recently in association with that pick.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Actually, no.

I usually would agree with what you are saying, but now it's popular to say any defenseman whose over 6'2 will be a plug bust. I see this said so often.

Or maybe people just don't like defenseman in the new NHL who aren't capable of doing a whole lot. There's really not a whole lot of offensive in his game. He makes bad decisions in the neutral and offensive zone. He doesn't really make very good passes out of his own zone. He's had a lot of defensive lapses (as has the whole USA team in this tournament) and really the only good defending I see from him is when he plays against kids that he is bigger/stronger then. That gap significantly reduces as these players move up the ranks and that advantage is lost.

Solid but unspectacular defenseman who are chosen in the first round are almost always the guys you regret taking.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"The new NHL"

One of my favorite bumper stickers.

Lets just call it what it is. Many people discriminate against bigger defenseman without regarding their play. They look at their size, and then throw the key terms out there like bust, plug, can't skate, can't move the puck, etc.

My opinion is that your opinion is based off limited viewings with extreme bias due to your bumper sticker views or it might be based off no viewings, and you are just applying your favorite bumper sticker after looking at the kid's height on EP.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Actually, no.

Yea, but he never said that every defenseman over 6'2 is a bust. You just assume he means that because samuelsson is a big guy.

Btw I don't think samuelssons a bust, but I'm not super high on him either.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
"The new NHL"

One of my favorite bumper stickers.

Lets just call it what it is. Many people discriminate against bigger defenseman without regarding their play. They look at their size, and then throw the key terms out there like bust, plug, can't skate, can't move the puck, etc.

My opinion is that your opinion is based off limited viewings with extreme bias due to your bumper sticker views or it might be based off no viewings, and you are just applying your favorite bumper sticker after looking at the kid's height on EP.
So why are 6'2" Evan Bouchard and 6'3" Noah Dobson so highly regarded?

Reactions: Acadien86

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's been excellent all tournament. Best player on the ice today. Such a force defensively. No one in this tournament defends as well as he does.

I think he has picked it up, but I didn’t like him much in USA’s first 2 or 3 games. But I didn’t really like anyone on USA’s blueline the first few games except Cam York.

Reactions: Acadien86

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So why are 6'2" Evan Bouchard and 6'3" Noah Dobson so highly regarded?

I didn't say all. Some taller defenseman put up a lot of points. In that case, the "new NHL" bumper sticker members like those players. Sometimes they don't even regard the rest of their game. Lets take the example of Alex Vlasic for example. He struggles to move and he doesn't show offense that his point totals would indicate. From what I've observed, his high point totals early in the season were due mostly to playing on such a dominant offensive team. But the EP watchers often don't watch games, so he's considered a first rounder on some lists, even though he doesn't play like one. And Bouchard is 6'2, so what I said doesn't apply to him, although the way he plays the game, it might apply to him more.

Most defensemen taller than 6'2 who don't have big point totals are not liked by most fans because of this perception surrounding the "new NHL", which is pretty ridiculous.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he has picked it up, but I didn’t like him much in USA’s first 2 or 3 games. But I didn’t really like anyone on USA’s blueline the first few games except Cam York.

I initially thought he struggled in the first game due mostly to thinking he was at fault for the goal Lafreniere scored, but I re-watched the play, and agreed with the assessment of someone else who said he actually wasn't at fault for the goal and had a good game.

I haven't liked the defense either this tournament, but I think Samuelsson has been pretty stout, especially recent games. He was really good yesterday. He plays an understated role, so even when he plays well his play won't get the attention it deserves, but I don't know if he's actually been at fault for a goal all tournament, which contrasts to his teammates. I also think he's been very reliable at not getting himself into bad defensive positions. He's taken one "real" penalty, and he's only turned the puck over a few times.

Reactions: Blueston

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
Liked what I saw from him at the u18, rock solid defensively, more mobile then I expected and good at getting his shot through from the point. Solidified him self of being selected in the 1st imo.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He's been excellent all tournament. Best player on the ice today. Such a force defensively. No one in this tournament defends as well as he does.

only seen some video clips of him, but wondering who you compared him to. bigger version of vlasic, or is that too stout?

Last edited:

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
I didn't say all. Some taller defenseman put up a lot of points. In that case, the "new NHL" bumper sticker members like those players. Sometimes they don't even regard the rest of their game. Lets take the example of Alex Vlasic for example. He struggles to move and he doesn't show offense that his point totals would indicate. From what I've observed, his high point totals early in the season were due mostly to playing on such a dominant offensive team. But the EP watchers often don't watch games, so he's considered a first rounder on some lists, even though he doesn't play like one. And Bouchard is 6'2, so what I said doesn't apply to him, although the way he plays the game, it might apply to him more.

Most defensemen taller than 6'2 who don't have big point totals are not liked by most fans because of this perception surrounding the "new NHL", which is pretty ridiculous.

It's not some arbitrary bias you nerd. Big defensemen have gotten by on their size for much of NHL history, which is why plenty of guys still get drafted exclusively for their size. Players who are 6'5"+ get drafted way ahead of their talent level all the time. When you see a guy who isn't really good at any one aspect of the game, but is pretty tall, ranked in the first round, well, I've seen this movie before, man.

NHL scouting staffs are ancient. They don't adapt to anything. That's why Vegas plucked an elite team from the leagues leftovers; those guys were all poorly evaluated and utilized by their own scouting staff. That's why guys like Mattias Samuelsson keep going in the first round; cause they would have been great in the 90s.

Its not a bumper sticker. If you are a defenseman who doesn't put up points, you better be good tat moving the puck through the neutral zone and maintaining puck possession. If you're just "good defensively" all you're good at is giving up shot attempts. Useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad