LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How was he this past year in his rookie season in NCAA? Stat wise i see he put up 12 points and 37 pims in 35 games...

Anyone out there see him play this season? Pretty high pick last draft but zero chatter about him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How was he this past year in his rookie season in NCAA? Stat wise i see he put up 12 points and 37 pims in 35 games...

Anyone out there see him play this season? Pretty high pick last draft but zero chatter about him

Funny, Pronman just tweeted out vid of Samuelsson this morning:

Steady and still a way off from what I've seen. His offensive contributions dried up in the 2nd half of the season, though that isn't really the meat of his game. Weird, looking back at his season, he only had three points after the game I watched against Miami back in early January...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It says enough that there is no hype...

When on this forum is their hype for any sort of Sabre prospect? There are probably three Sabre fans who spend any amount of time on this board in a contributory way and to a man, we're pragmatists. Volume of conversation is not an indication of future value, or else Louis Leblanc and Jordan Schroeder would be allstars.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For comps, McCabe had similar point production in his freshman season at Wisconsin. For WMU, Schueneman has turned pro, but they have Attard as a commit and he should be getting PP cycles over Samuelsson based on skillset. Points aren't likely ever to be Mattias' ticket to the next level, but WMU is going to need their juniors and sophomores to step up so it'll be interesting to see if he has any growth there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just assumed it was cause hes a Sabre prospect... Sabre fans usually arent too vocal about their guys like other fan bases are

Looks like he can hit pretty damn hard when seeing those above clips!

He can, but thats really the only redeeming quality in his game.

Hes the poster boy for a D who would have been great 20 years ago. Bottom pairing journeyman in today's game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It says enough that there is no hype...

I wouldn't say so.

There are a lot of mediocre prospects that get a lot of hype, and a lot of good prospects that get no hype.

A defensive defenseman for a fan base that isn't one of the louder ones in the league isn't going to get that much hype.

I thought he was about average at the World Juniors. Only two of the 2000 born defensemen made that team, so making the team to begin with shows he's held in high regard. He outplayed Miller at the tournament, although neither was great. Wilde didn't even make the roster, neither did Emberson. He should be back on the team next season, and one of the leaders. I wouldn't be surprised if he wears the C, as he was the captain of the 2000 born NTDP team.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Nope, not even in the slightest, unless you enjoy Connor Murphy type defenders.
Ehhh I think he moves better than Murphy.

I think the best you could hope for is prime Brooks Orpik. Maybe a Joel Edmunson type as well if he can develop that offensive game.

I know several of his coaches have raved about his leadership so you may see him as a middle 4 assistant captain of a team if he puts it together.

One of the qualities

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He can, but thats really the only redeeming quality in his game.

Hes the poster boy for a D who would have been great 20 years ago. Bottom pairing journeyman in today's game.

I think that undersells his ability to seal people off and clear lanes around the net. There are still places for the "takeout" portion of a takeout-breakout pair, even if everyone now wants all their team's defense to be able to breakout. He remains very good as a defender and that still has value.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think that undersells his ability to seal people off and clear lanes around the net. There are still places for the "takeout" portion of a takeout-breakout pair, even if everyone now wants all their team's defense to be able to breakout. He remains very good as a defender and that still has value.

There is a ton of value in those guys, as long as they can do all of the other requisite things that are required to be a good NHL defenseman.

He doesn't. It will be what holds him back as he steps up in competition.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is a ton of value in those guys, as long as they can do all of the other requisite things that are required to be a good NHL defenseman.

He doesn't. It will be what holds him back as he steps up in competition.

Read plays? Move pucks? Maintain position? He does all of those things. There is very low emphasis or conversion into scoring chances, which gives one pause, sure, but I don't see him as floundering to make plays against his peers. We'll see as he progresses if he can make the adjustment in processing speed.

I take it you were down on him at the U18s and the U20s?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Read plays? Move pucks? Maintain position? He does all of those things. There is very low emphasis or conversion into scoring chances, which gives one pause, sure, but I don't see him as floundering to make plays against his peers. We'll see as he progresses if he can make the adjustment in processing speed.

I don't think he does the bolded well at all. He can make a pass as long as there is no pressure in his face but even the slightest bit? It's either up and off the glass or fumble city more often than not, that is not going to fly at the next level.

I didn't like him at either of those tournaments, no.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He can make a pass as long as there is no pressure in his face but even the slightest bit? It's either up and off the glass or fumble city more often than not, that is not going to fly at the next level.

I didn't like him at either of those tournaments, no.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

just a pylon with a jersey apparently...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad