LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He's been solid, steady. Made some jittery rookie mistakes, but also some excellent plays jumping into the rush and breaking up a 2 on 1 from behind.

He could probably use more AHL polish, but a prospect I'm excited about filling a role the Sabres need.

(He's also playing with Ristolainen right now, and if you ask Ranger/Bruins fans about the last few games, Risto's been in rare bad form, even for him)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Was never considered an offensive defenceman but his production has been pretty good so far in the AHL 2g 10a 12 pts in 13 gp. Good to see, hopefully he spends most of this season in the AHL developing this aspect of his game while getting some NHL games before moving up to the NHL full time next season

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Was never considered an offensive defenceman but his production has been pretty good so far in the AHL 2g 10a 12 pts in 13 gp. Good to see, hopefully he spends most of this season in the AHL developing this aspect of his game while getting some NHL games before moving up to the NHL full time next season

Once they move a defenseman on the big club, he's likely up. The camp competition was between him and Bryson and Mattias got hurt. Bryson has also been pretty good, probably their steadiest defenseman thus far and hasn't deserved to come out of the lineup. Hagg and Butcher though? If/when one of them goes, I would expect Samuelsson to be up for good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Once they move a defenseman on the big club, he's likely up. The camp competition was between him and Bryson and Mattias got hurt. Bryson has also been pretty good, probably their steadiest defenseman thus far and hasn't deserved to come out of the lineup. Hagg and Butcher though? If/when one of them goes, I would expect Samuelsson to be up for good.

That is likely to happen but I think he should stay down. If he develops his offensive game it will be a big bonus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he looked good last season in the NHL. I understand the reason being given, but it seems stupid to claim you have too many bad defenseman without any real value that need minutes instead.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
wow - just saw tonight's box score. Roch got slaughtered. Mattias was a dash-5. Didn't watch the game, but I'm assuming with Robson giving up 10 goals on 25 shots that it was more of a goaltending issue.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
wow - just saw tonight's box score. Roch got slaughtered. Mattias was a dash-5. Didn't watch the game, but I'm assuming with Robson giving up 10 goals on 25 shots that it was more of a goaltending issue.

Scored their lone goal too. It was a rough night for everyone.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm thinking Rochester is missing Luukkonen. I'm not sure they're gonna get him back, though.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He probably won’t be on many ballots, but he should be on every Calder ballot. It took him like 25 games to become a Top 4 defenseman in a shutdown role.

If he could have scored at like a +20 point pace, or let's say 10 more points through the 40 or so games he played, he probably would be in the running. And I think he might actually be capable of putting up 35-45 points in a full season if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, I'd imagine he's 4th or worse in the pecking order as far as PP time for D on this Sabres roster. And because he plays the shut down role so well, he probably will be asked to guard the rear more than not. I would really like to see his offensive role expanded though. But it won't come at the expense of Power or Dahlin I'd think. And long term, maybe behind Joki and Bryson also just in terms of potential PP opportunity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad