LD Mattias Samuelsson - USNTDP, USHL (2018, 32nd, BUF)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Another USHL player who i've seen a few games of, looked very very impressive. Good frame, rock solid defensively with offensive upside. Looked like the type of prospect that could come out of nowhere and end up being a very high pick.

Personally i view him as a top 10 pick in 2018, i know it's early but i really love his all around game. He's definitely one of my favorite 2018 prospects.

gr3_mattias_samuelsson_ep.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=325127

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He was actually moved up from the U17 squad to the U18 team a week ago and did not look out of place with the older team. He's been solid defensively for the U17 team all season.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
both his parents are swedish and still he play for team usa. this is not the first time usa steal players from sweden.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
both his parents are swedish and still he play for team usa. this is not the first time usa steal players from sweden.

He is also American. Born and raised in USA, American friends and he probably chose to play for USA himself. Just accept it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone catch any of his games yet?

Most advanced defensive player on the USNTDP team. Big kid, skating and puck moving is "okay", not a liability, but I wouldn't count on significant offense. If you want a boring shutdown defensive defensemen with low bust potential but also low boom potential, he's a good candidate.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Scored two goals vs Finland in the U18 tournament today:

Liked what I saw from him. Looks like a reasonably safe bet to be a top4 d in the NHL. I'd take him somewhere in the top20, maybe top15.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Scored two goals vs Finland in the U18 tournament today:

Liked what I saw from him. Looks like a reasonably safe bet to be a top4 d in the NHL. I'd take him somewhere in the top20, maybe top15.

Between him and Adam Samuelsson who did you like better?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Definitely Mattias. I thought Adam looked a little vanilla, but he played on a pairing with Bode Wilde and had to be the stay-at-home guy for obvious reasons. I didn't like him that much at the Hlinka either though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mattias and by a very wide margin. I'd probably take Mattias first of the USNTDP program defenders this year (although Wilde is close, and K'Andre miller is extremely interesting). I'm not even sure Adam Samuelsson would be my 4th choice, I might take Ty Emberson over him.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Mattias and by a very wide margin. I'd probably take Mattias first of the USNTDP program defenders this year (although Wilde is close, and K'Andre miller is extremely interesting). I'm not even sure Adam Samuelsson would be my 4th choice, I might take Ty Emberson over him.

Yes, Mattais is by far the better of the two Samuelssons. I am not sure that I would rank him above Bode Wilde, but we are splitting hairs at that point. Both should be pretty high first round picks.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
According to eliteprospects he just committed to Western Michigan. Was previously committed to Michigan. Interesting move for a top tier guy

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
According to eliteprospects he just committed to Western Michigan. Was previously committed to Michigan. Interesting move for a top tier guy

Bode Wilde is going to Michigan. They would’ve had some defense for Hughs already there.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Also his brother plays for Western Michigan. Also take away the “big name” value that the Wolverines have and it’s not such a strange move. WMU is a better team in recent years (#11 in the nation this year versus #20 for UM), plays in what is from season to season almost always the stronger conference (NCHC) and has a veteran NHL head coach in Andy Murray behind the bench who has both recruited well to WMU and developed players for the next level - look no further than current star forward Wade Allison, a high draft pick of the Flyers and one of the best players in college this season.

Add it all up and it’s not that shocking and certainly does nothing to hurt his profile amongst NHL scouts as a top tier prospect.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I had heard earlier in the season that Michigan was trying to clear scholarship money (possibly by cutting at least one of the Pastujov brothers), likely in part so they can take a run at a certain phenom, so Samuelsson's decommit makes sense. There are a ton of defencemen coming in, his brother (initially committed to Michigan) is now at WMU, and NTDP kids inevitably cost a ton of money.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's the second best player at defending right now from this draft after Dahlin. If a team really wanted to throw him into the NHL immediately, I think he could do the job that the 6D plug plays. I wouldn't do that because he has other parts of his game to improve, but he defends really well.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

31 soon to be 32 NHL teams 7 Canadian 24 soon to be 25 American

30 AHL teams 3 Canadian 27 American

The recruiting odds don't look too good for Sweden either, I commiserate

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
steady and sturdy again today...he isn't the quickest out there, but honestly he doesn't fall behind much either.

still a major role for a player like this on NHL teams, he is a first round pick actually reminds me of a left handed Brent Seabrook...Seabrook worked a lot on his game during juniors and became a better skater as time went on..I think Mattias can be similar to Brent in many aspects of the game.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yeah I don't think he's low reward at all. He has the tools to be a top-pair defenseman. Probably not the offense to be a #1 guy, but a potentially rock-solid #2 guy is nothing to scoff at.

Maybe similar to a Brandon Carlo?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was bad today, like all the defensemen were. Top half of the first round player, in my opinion. Those who think the NHL is a video game probably won't list him in the first round, maybe not the second round, but defensive defensemen have a role in the NHL.

You aren't drafting him to QB the PP. He's not a plug, he moves well for a player of any height and can move the puck. The hands are bad, and there's absolutely no offensive flash, but he can definitely be a 20+ minute shutdown D who can give you 25-30 points. I don't see why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad