LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
1 assist, no shots for Byram last night. 8 points in 8 games so far on the season. Are Avs fans happy with how he's handled going back to junior so far?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Their second line is KAdri, Donskoi and Burakovsky. That’s probably the worst second line in the league. Their third line is Nieto, JOst and Wilson. That’s definitely the worst third line. So where is this huge amount of talent up front? MacKinnon is a stud as is Rantanen. Landeskog and Kadri are good 2nd line guys.

Probably the worst second line in the league? Is that something you actually believe is true?

We played the Arizona Coyotes last night. Here is their second line:
HaytonDvorakSchmaltz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You can take your agenda and sulk on out of here. Thanks for playing.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well I find that to be an utterly ridiculous thing to say.
that's fine, I have no skin in the game, you obviously are blinded by loyalty..that Yotes 2nd line is extremely skilled but young..Dvorak could be the best player on that line unfortunately he has been hurt much of his young pro career..Schmaltz hurt last year as well..I don't think the Avs have the worst 2nd line in hockey, but I would definitely take that Yotes 2nd line over them in a heartbeat..

as for Byram, love that kid - wanted him with the Hawks pick, happy Dach looks great too..you guys are going to be a pain in our ass for a decade with Byram and Makar...that is going to be special.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
1 assist, no shots for Byram last night. 8 points in 8 games so far on the season. Are Avs fans happy with how he's handled going back to junior so far?
I don't know if I personally think he's going to maximise the best player he can develop this season in juniors. Sure he isn't blowing away the competition statistically or via the eye test, but I would've preferred if he went to NLA and play against men because that's who he's only going to play against after this season.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
that's fine, I have no skin in the game, you obviously are blinded by loyalty..that Yotes 2nd line is extremely skilled but young.
I disagree again. Think you're blinded by potential. Avs 3 players have proven themselves in the NHL and are simply better right now. That could change quickly but right now it's 3 vets vs 3 could-be's.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I disagree again. Think you're blinded by potential. Avs 3 players have proven themselves in the NHL and are simply better right now. That could change quickly but right now it's 3 vets vs 3 could-be's.
doesn't work like that...of course they have "proven" themselves more, they are vets lol...(Burakovsky still young though)...hard for 23 and under kids to "prove" themselves unless they are actually out there on the ice..

but outside of Kadri, what on Earth have the other two exactly proven??? Schmaltz has already out produced Donskoi and Bura..pretty easily as well with a 50 plus point season..sorry, you are blinded here, that line is pretty meh - great for a 3rd line pretty bad for a 2nd line..Yotes 2nd line is better right now and in the future.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
doesn't work like that...of course they have "proven" themselves more, they are vets lol...(Burakovsky still young though)...hard for 23 and under kids to "prove" themselves unless they are actually out there on the ice..

but outside of Kadri, what on Earth have the other two exactly proven??? Schmaltz has already out produced Donskoi and Bura..pretty easily as well with a 50 plus point season..sorry, you are blinded here, that line is pretty meh - great for a 3rd line pretty bad for a 2nd line..Yotes 2nd line is better right now and in the future.

How did that work out for them last night?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Schmaltz has already out produced Donskoi and Bura..pretty easily as well with a 50 plus point season
Has Schmaltz done a damn thing in the NHL aside from ride Patrick Kane's coat tails that season?

That was a pretty empty 50 points.

Easy answer to your last point. What have they done? Well they've each had a couple near-40 point NHL seasons on very good NHL teams, and have been quite positive contributors on long playoff runs.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Still wish Byram was in the AHL right now. Just don’t know how much he’s going to grow this year.

Up front? Pretty think up front, no? MacKinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen and Kadri? Then lots of 3rd liners and 4th liners. Pretty weak farm up front too behind Newhook. Maybe I’m underrating guys but I see them in the bottom third of the league for forwards.

Yeah, you’re underrating guys across the board. To be bottom 1/3 with that top line, we’d basically have to fill the rest of the roster out with AHLers. We were 10th in goals for in each of the last two years.

Our biggest question marks are at wing on the second line but even those guys have upside. If you can get average 2nd line production from one of them plus Kadri and add that to one of the best producing top lines, that’s going to be right back in the top 1/3 in scoring again.

that's fine, I have no skin in the game, you obviously are blinded by loyalty..that Yotes 2nd line is extremely skilled but young..Dvorak could be the best player on that line unfortunately he has been hurt much of his young pro career..Schmaltz hurt last year as well..I don't think the Avs have the worst 2nd line in hockey, but I would definitely take that Yotes 2nd line over them in a heartbeat..

as for Byram, love that kid - wanted him with the Hawks pick, happy Dach looks great too..you guys are going to be a pain in our ass for a decade with Byram and Makar...that is going to be special.

Really? The Avs 4-6 highest scoring forwards last year were in the same ballpark of the yotes 1-3. Trend is pretty similar so far this year too. It just doesn’t make sense when you start looking at the numbers.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
A lot like exceptional status for players going into the CHL, teams should be able to apply for exceptional status for a played, like Byram who's not quite good enough to make the NHL, but too skilled to go back to the AHL.

Possibly the NHL team gives the CHL team a little compensation ?

I imagine people across the board will think he's not doing as well because he's likely going to be bored as f***.

Reactions: avsfan09

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
A lot like exceptional status for players going into the CHL, teams should be able to apply for exceptional status for a played, like Byram who's not quite good enough to make the NHL, but too skilled to go back to the AHL.

I imagine people across the board will think he's not doing as well because he's likely going to be bored as ****.
Players as good or better then Byram have been sent back for their D+1 and excelled. Being bored isn't an excuse. I am a fan of his and he will more then likely have an exceptional year. You see with highly drafted kids that the disappointment of not making the NHL can hamper their play in the first month or so coming back and once they kind of cope with it they carry on. That is fine to me....if he doesn't perform up to expectation because he was bored all year? I am sorry there is a long long list of pretty impressive players that weren't to bored for the CHL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I imagine people across the board will think he's not doing as well because he's likely going to be bored as ****.

There's only a select few prospects who are/have been "too good for CHL", Byram is not one of them. Even a guy like Marner went back and it hasn't hurt him whatsoever.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Players as good or better then Byram have been sent back for their D+1 and excelled. Being bored isn't an excuse. I am a fan of his and he will more then likely have an exceptional year. You see with highly drafted kids that the disappointment of not making the NHL can hamper their play in the first month or so coming back and once they kind of cope with it they carry on. That is fine to me....if he doesn't perform up to expectation because he was bored all year? I am sorry there is a long long list of pretty impressive players that weren't to bored for the CHL.

He's not going to be bored the entire season. If anything, likely a bit disappointed, a little disinterested and then gets right back into the thick of things.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He’s currently over ppg and 2nd in the WHL in scoring among defensemen. It’s not exactly a cold start.

It’s less about being bored and more about facing that next challenge. I have little doubt that he’s going to be one of the top defensemen in the WHL... again. I think it’d be more beneficial for his growth to be playing against pros this year and learning what he can and can’t do at a higher level.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
love how people on here talk about Byram should have been in the AHL or stuck with NHL...these kids are 18 years old handling their next 20 years of hockey is a fine line...sometimes a kid can work on things in junior where he has the confidence and ability to still be above the rest than playing with men and trying to work on things when they are trying to fit in and adjust...I think Colorado made the right decision, not sure why people think a prospect should go right to the NHL, that is a way to ruin a prospect most times.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
love how people on here talk about Byram should have been in the AHL or stuck with NHL...these kids are 18 years old handling their next 20 years of hockey is a fine line...sometimes a kid can work on things in junior where he has the confidence and ability to still be above the rest than playing with men and trying to work on things when they are trying to fit in and adjust...I think Colorado made the right decision, not sure why people think a prospect should go right to the NHL, that is a way to ruin a prospect most times.

You know the rules on here tho.. if a prospect doesnt crack the lineup right away, hes a bust lol...

It's always very obvious who on here has never actually seen certain players play. This thread is yet another example of it

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
He’s currently over ppg and 2nd in the WHL in scoring among defensemen. It’s not exactly a cold start.

It’s less about being bored and more about facing that next challenge. I have little doubt that he’s going to be one of the top defensemen in the WHL... again. I think it’d be more beneficial for his growth to be playing against pros this year and learning what he can and can’t do at a higher level.

While I don't disagree with this, it seemed that he wasn't physically ready to play a pro game against men. I held my breath every time he played the puck in a corner.

Hypothetically, the NCAA would have been the most ideal route for him. Spend some time in the gym.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
In 14 games this season: 34 shots on goal, 35 penalty minutes, 2 goals, 7 ES points, 5 PP points, +/- -1
- has taken at least 1 penalty in 11 of his 14 games this season

Didn't at least 15 penalty minutes arise from a fighting major and a game misconduct from one incident (so just under half of his penalty minutes)? Considering Vancouver's struggles, a nearly ppg average (almost half at ES and over two SOGs per game) seems solid to me, particularly when we are discussing a defenseman and not a forward.

I am surprised that a particular poster has not shown up yet in an effort to try to validate his/her particular viewpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia