LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2019, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Why do we do this?

Why do two people who don't watch the player argue about how well his season is going? I mean at least George watches highlights and reads about the prospect. It's strange to come in here throwing shade at him when you haven't watched Byram. I would expect someone with some credibility to throw that kind of shade.

Isn't this what 75% of ll posts are about?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Had an absolutely incredible game tonight. Far and away the best player on the ice for either team. Brilliant passing, great defending, and really showed off his skating, confidence and hockey IQ by jumping into the rush and even being the first man in the offensive corner at the perfect time to secure possession. Letting off his wrister to tie it with 20 seconds to go and making the play to set up Addison’s OT winner were just the cherries on top.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Had an absolutely incredible game tonight. Far and away the best player on the ice for either team. Brilliant passing, great defending, and really showed off his skating, confidence and hockey IQ by jumping into the rush and even being the first man in the offensive corner at the perfect time to secure possession. Letting off his wrister to tie it with 20 seconds to go and making the play to set up Addison’s OT winner were just the cherries on top.
While Byram still needs to get stronger in his own end, there is little doubt that this kid will be an impact player in the NHL. His skating sets him apart from his contemporaries. It would not surprise me at all if when all is said and done that Byram is recognized as being the best player of his draft class. I'm interested in seeing how Byram uses his superior skating ability on the bigger ice surface at the upcoming WJC. He is going to cause havoc to other teams. If Team Canada has the courage to select Barron, Byram and Drysdale they may have one of the most mobile defence corps that they have ever fielded at the WJC.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If he can be a top 4 d man for the Avs I'm happy regardless of where he was chosen.

I’m not commenting on his play because I haven’t seen him, but I personally would find it disappointing if a #4 pick didn’t turn into a top pairing option.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I’m not commenting on his play because I haven’t seen him, but I personally would find it disappointing if a #4 pick didn’t turn into a top pairing option.

It may be falling shy of initial expectations but it's far from a disappointment. There are very few true top pairing defencemen in this league. It's a tough achievement even for a top 5 pick.

Byram was never thought of as a franchise defenceman. My impression is that his ceiling was around that low end #1/#2 guy so topping out as a solid #3 guy on a 2nd pairing isn't really a disappointment.

Reactions: hawksrule

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It may be falling shy of initial expectations but it's far from a disappointment. There are very few true top pairing defencemen in this league. It's a tough achievement even for a top 5 pick.

Byram was never thought of as a franchise defenceman. My impression is that his ceiling was around that low end #1/#2 guy so topping out as a solid #3 guy on a 2nd pairing isn't really a disappointment.

Craig Button literally said he projects as a #1 all-around defenseman, and his comparable was Duncan Keith... Not sure that they're expecting a low end #1

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Byram is going to be just fine you dolts. Avs were lucky as hell he was still available at four.

Byram, Makar, and Girard, maybe Timmins, Avs will be set. A starting line up of

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Byram - Makar

lol
I am increasingly strongly believing that Makar and Byram are best deployed on separate pairings.

Girard-Makar
Byram-Timmins

is ridiculous.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
AVs will have a stacked defensive core combining youth and talent.

Byram - Makar
Girard - Timmins
Rosen - EJ

:vhappy:

I gotta believe it’ll include General Zad! boooo expansion draft. I guess Byram playing his left side is also a nail in the coffin. About Byram - is there any where he could play next season besides the WHL again if he’s not ready to join Colorado?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I gotta believe it’ll include General Zad! boooo expansion draft. I guess Byram playing his left side is also a nail in the coffin. About Byram - is there any where he could play next season besides the WHL again if he’s not ready to join Colorado?

I love Zadorov, but don't expect on being on team much longer.

He's unlikely to improve beyond the 3rd line and wants a bigger payday which is within his rights. Without the opportunity due to the depth, he's likely going to be moved. This will be a mutual decision.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If he doesn't get selected to the WJC.
- current pace: 7 goals, 40 assists, 150 penalty minutes

If he does get selected to the WJC
- current pace: 6 goals, 36 assists, 135 penalty minutes

---

d-1 season*: 60 games, 6 goals, 21 assists
d season**: 67 games, 26 goals, 45 assists
d+1*** season projection 60 games, 6 goals, 36 assists

* was selected to the u18 WJC (5 games, 0 goals, 1 assist)
**was not selected to the WJC
*** if gets selected to the WJC

d-1 + d+1 season = 120 games, 12 goals, 57 assists
d season = 67 games, 26 goals, 45 assists

---

From Canadian U20 d-men in the CHL,BCHL & USHL this season Bowen ranks

27th in assists
32nd in ppg
51st in points
61st in goals
62nd in +/-

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Tied for 12th in scoring in the WHL among defensemen. Kind of surprised by that. Those that have seen him play this season, how has he looked? Is he focusing more on his defensive game this year?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If he doesn't get selected to the WJC.
- current pace: 7 goals, 40 assists, 150 penalty minutes

If he does get selected to the WJC
- current pace: 6 goals, 36 assists, 135 penalty minutes

---

d-1 season*: 60 games, 6 goals, 21 assists
d season**: 67 games, 26 goals, 45 assists
d+1*** season projection 60 games, 6 goals, 36 assists

* was selected to the u18 WJC (5 games, 0 goals, 1 assist)
**was not selected to the WJC
*** if gets selected to the WJC

d-1 + d+1 season = 120 games, 12 goals, 57 assists
d season = 67 games, 26 goals, 45 assists

---

From Canadian U20 d-men in the CHL,BCHL & USHL this season Bowen ranks

27th in assists
32nd in ppg
51st in points
61st in goals
62nd in +/-

What is your point? He's been great if you've watched him at all.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I am increasingly strongly believing that Makar and Byram are best deployed on separate pairings.

Girard-Makar
Byram-Timmins

is ridiculous.
Avs need Girard and Makar to roam around in the offensive zone to be most effective. You can't neuter one of them or have both of them do that.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Why would you include the USHL and BCHL in those stats? It's clear you're trying to prove a point.

One Canadian top d-man prospect (2021 draft) happens to play in the USHL, top 10 pick perhaps even (that giant Owen Power fella)
and there are others as well. BCHL has more than just few could be good/great prospects playing there.
Sure, CHL is the prime but, at this age of hockey, can't exclude any league.

I always love when fans assume things what's not true...'cause automatically... i am trying to prove a point,
its not like i just wanted to show that his this WHL season (points wisely at least) has not been what was expected from him
and...there is a possibility that he might not be as good as lots say, or that last season pictured it to be
(there's always a possibility) and not trying to prove some point.

FYI. He is not even in the top 40 of CHL d-men scoring by U20 players and not in the top 25 in ppg.
- last 8 games, just 2 assists in the WHL, doesn't even get the puck to the net anymore, or that much,
just takes lots of dumb penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad