Rumor: Lavoie: Gaudreau to be traded by free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Keep your Domi pal. The Flames already have 4-5 centers in their prime and another one transitioning into the role. Unless Montreal has Jack Eichel or Barkov to offer up, the Flames will just keep what they have.

Gaudreau is a trade candidate specifically because Taylor Hall has been linked to the Flames, so the more likely scenario is that Gaudreau is involved in a lateral trade, for a defenseman, futures or a package for Eichel. Domi quite simply put, does not make sense for the Flames to acquire. He’s not taking over Monahan’s spot, he’s not a shutdown center as you have explicitly stated. So Gaudreau for a 3rd line center? Makes zero sense. Just give up on the idea already, you’re just wasting your time and everyone elses.

Eichel you say?

Anyways, as that is not a reality, if the Flames sign Hall, I would much rather keep Gaudreau for two year - even if he makes it clear he is leaving afterwards - and just go for it. Move one of Tkachuk, Gaudreau, or Hall to RW and roll with a very deep top 6. Having Hall pitch in for .8+ PPG in the playoffs instantly cures the Flames inability to get timely goals and win tight playoff games.

If the Flames absolutely need cap space, look at moving Ryan or Backlund first.

2 years is a healthy window to compete. With a top 6 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Hall-Lindholm-Tkachuk

The Flames are looking very solid. After moving Backlund and Ryan and signing Hall at 8.5 million, that still leaves the club with $16.5 million to add a top 4 defender, sign some fourth line forwards, and potentially even a high end goalie. Maybe even keep Backlund on the 3rd line.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Eichel you say?

Anyways, as that is not a reality, if the Flames sign Hall, I would much rather keep Gaudreau for two year - even if he makes it clear he is leaving afterwards - and just go for it. Move one of Tkachuk, Gaudreau, or Hall to RW and roll with a very deep top 6. Having Hall pitch in for .8+ PPG in the playoffs instantly cures the Flames inability to get timely goals and win tight playoff games.

If the Flames absolutely need cap space, look at moving Ryan or Backlund first.

2 years is a healthy window to compete. With a top 6 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Hall-Lindholm-Tkachuk

The Flames are looking very solid. After moving Backlund and Ryan and signing Hall at 8.5 million, that still leaves the club with $16.5 million to add a top 4 defender, sign some fourth line forwards, and potentially even a high end goalie. Maybe even keep Backlund on the 3rd line.

Subbing out Backlund for Hall doesn't make us better. It makes us different. We don't have another center capable of playing real #1 centers unless you move Lindholm there. In terms of wins and losses I don't think Hall is more valuable than Backlund.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Subbing out Backlund for Hall doesn't make us better. It makes us different. We don't have another center capable of playing real #1 centers unless you move Lindholm there. In terms of wins and losses I don't think Hall is more valuable than Backlund.

I disagree on that. Hall is a legit game breaker.

I would, however like to keep Backlund. I agree that he's great. However, if push comes to shove, and the decision is between Hall/Gaudreau and Backlund, it's no contest to me. If the team finds a way to sign a high end d-man (Pietrangelo, a man can dream) and Hall and move Backlund, then it's an even more obvious choice.

Reactions: tmurfin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Something centred around Patrick (if healthy) and Myers or Frost
Flyers can't trade Frost and Patrick as they need a #3C who has top 6 upside.

Flyers also can't trade Myers as he is the only RHD in their system that can play top 4. RHD is already a need WITH Myers. Can't trade him due to need.
Patrick isn't healthy. So stop saying this.
Yup. He needs to play and stay healthy to have good value.

Just as an FYI to everyone, Patrick was playing in a pick up game the other day with former WHL/NHL players so at least he is skating.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I think a Bennett/Domi/Tkachuk line would be killer in the playoffs.

Would be a hoot to watch. Domi and Tkachuk together would be fricking gold.

Keep your Domi pal. Just give up on the idea already, you’re just wasting your time and everyone elses.

But that's the thing. I never wanted to trade Domi for Johnny Hockey. I'd rather keep Max and try to get him to go back being a Winger than try to get Tinkerbell.

I would move Domi and 16OA for him.

No way. Johnny Hockey doesn't move the needle during the playoffs and I want to keep that 1st for a package to get a real gamebreaker.

Anyways, as that is not a reality, if the Flames sign Hall, I would much rather keep Gaudreau for two year - even if he makes it clear he is leaving afterwards - and just go for it.

Taylor Hall and Johnny Hockey for the playoffs. Hahaha. I'm sure that'll work out great. Not quite playoff warriors there.

The local sports radio guys haven't said a peep about Johnny being moved and they're usually at least a little tuned in. Seems like Lavoie was just taking a swing.

Just a heads up. Local sports guys are basically just talking heads and minor sports celebrities. Renaud Lavoie looks and sounds like an idiot and just might very well be one however he appears to definitely have legit sources. He's not even that clickbaity, he just throws out stuff he's heard through his solid grapevine contacts out willy nilly. I'm thinking people just tell him stuff because he seems so... innocuous.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
But that's the thing. I never wanted to trade Domi for Johnny Hockey. I'd rather keep Max and try to get him to go back being a Winger than try to get Tinkerbell.
Well, Tinkerbell is too rich and too successful to care about your opinion on him. This is a Johnny Gaudreau thread, so if you’re not interested in trading for said player, then not sure why you’re even posting.

Here’s a link to the Max Domi thread: Your love of Max would make more sense in here.
Player Discussion - Max Domi - RFA

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Taylor Hall and Johnny Hockey for the playoffs. Hahaha. I'm sure that'll work out great. Not quite playoff warriors there.

You're daft. Hall has a career 12 points in 14 playoff games, despite playing for losing teams (most of those game are with the offensive black hole, Arizona). Gaudreau had 5 points in 6 games against Dallas this year.

Can we bring up the Montreal "warriors" from this year:

Danault: 3 points in 10 games.
Kotkainiemi: 4 points in 10 games.
Gallagher: 4 points in 9 games.
Domi: 3 points in 10 games.
Tatar: 2 points in 10 games.

Worry about the problems on your own team; they are plentiful.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
No way. Johnny Hockey doesn't move the needle during the playoffs and I want to keep that 1st for a package to get a real gamebreaker.

i honestly don't watch the Flames much, but I'm pretty sure that a guy who is capable of scoring 99 points in a season moves the needle. Who is the last player on the Habs to score that many points? I'm drooling at putting Gaudreau with Suzuki and Drouin or whoever.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Deep down, a deal to the Flyers is something I could see happen even though the Flyers don't need any LW right now.

Flames appear to want a shakeup and the Flyers have a new GM and coach and Fletch will want to make it "their" team.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Can we bring up the Montreal "warriors" from this year.

Just a heads up, much of Danault and Suzuki's time was spent containing the opposition, Domi was effective pivoting the 4th line against PIT, Gallagher was injured the whole way through and Tatar was ineffective mostly because his line was broken up. The only forward people really critiqued in Montreal was Tatar. The only reason we did okay was because our much maligned D did yeoman's work out there. Even Kulak, Mete and Ouellet played solid unremarkable hockey.

What was evident in our playoffs was that we needed a gamebreaker. Someone who was always a threat. Johnny Hockey is a good player but he reminds me of an old ex-Hab by the name of Pierre Turgeon. Sure Turgeon played a different position, C, but just like Mr Hockey he got tons of points but never seemed like a true difference maker and eventually got the boot just like it appears Johnny Hockey's getting as we speak in CGY. Now if the Flames get rid of Mr Hockey just to get their sweaty little mits on Taylor Hall well then that'll be nothing more than changing a loonie for 4 quarters.

I'm drooling at putting Gaudreau with Suzuki and Drouin.

When Suzuki is the big man in your trio expect your guys to get pushed around.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Deep down, a deal to the Flyers is something I could see happen even though the Flyers don't need any LW right now.

Flames appear to want a shakeup and the Flyers have a new GM and coach and Fletch will want to make it "their" team.

After moving JVR and waiving Voracek Flys will need LW tho

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
After moving JVR and waiving Voracek Flys will need LW tho
Your insistence that Jake is a cap dump just makes you look foolish.

The last 2 years he has paced for over 65 points both years and has been right around #10 in RW scoring both years.

But you have been told this and just ignore it. Your take is dumb.

Reactions: Devonator and HEX

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Just send him to New Jersey for #17 and Severson. Flames need a QB for their PP, and they can sign Hall with the Cap space.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
NJ fans have said they need to ADD to their defense. They are not trading their best one.

If my best defenseman was -107 over his career there, I'd be kind of worried anyways. If they land Drysdale at 7, might at as well continue rebuilding. Johnny G will at least sell you some tickets, with some front loaded star power, might be the guy to get Hughes going.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Just a heads up, much of Danault and Suzuki's time was spent containing the opposition, Domi was effective pivoting the 4th line against PIT, Gallagher was injured the whole way through and Tatar was ineffective mostly because his line was broken up. The only forward people really critiqued in Montreal was Tatar. The only reason we did okay was because our much maligned D did yeoman's work out there. Even Kulak, Mete and Ouellet played solid unremarkable hockey.

What was evident in our playoffs was that we needed a gamebreaker. Someone who was always a threat. Johnny Hockey is a good player but he reminds me of an old ex-Hab by the name of Pierre Turgeon. Sure Turgeon played a different position, C, but just like Mr Hockey he got tons of points but never seemed like a true difference maker and eventually got the boot just like it appears Johnny Hockey's getting as we speak in CGY. Now if the Flames get rid of Mr Hockey just to get their sweaty little mits on Taylor Hall well then that'll be nothing more than changing a loonie for 4 quarters.

When Suzuki is the big man in your trio expect your guys to get pushed around.
Drouin isnt small. Hes 6'0 which is average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad