Rumor: Lavoie: Gaudreau to be traded by free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
If my best defenseman was -107 over his career there, I'd be kind of worried anyways. If they land Drysdale at 7, might at as well continue rebuilding. Johnny G will at least sell you some tickets, with some front loaded star power, might be the guy to get Hughes going.

Career PPG elite player will cost more than top 4Dman and a mid/late first rounder

Ledge And Dairy

Rental players get traded for more. Jersey will be asking for a 1st, top prospect and a player for Palmieri at the deadline. Some fans think Gaudreau won’t even return that with two years left. Ottawa paid a kings ransom for Duchene with only 2 years to free agency. I don’t expect Gaudreau to bring back that value. Obviously Duchene was a centre. But he’s not going to go for peanuts. With the cap staying put Gaudreau’s contract is now a value contract. That helps his value quite a bit.
This is an excellent example. Gaudreau is definitely the superior player to Duchene but Matt being a center and costing 750k less evens out the value pretty well IMO. Obviously I am not expecting a team to offer up a top 10 pick, realistically Colorado got lucky the Sens blew themselves up. But here is the broken down value:
- Conditional 1st*
- 2nd
- 3rd
- 1 former first rounder prospect
- 2 former second round prospects (one that was more of a rec project)
- Small short term cap dump

That's quite a good return for a 26/27 year old top 6 40-70 point center. I think this price might be a little high for what Gaudreau should return but I don't think it's unreasonably high

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Career PPG elite player will cost more than top 4Dman and a mid/late first rounder

Depends on how management views him. They only have 2 more kicks at the can with him to lose in the 1st round, though they did crush the Jets in fairness. But I am not so sure that they are looking for top value, rather the opportunity to move on, and strengthen the team through the draft at the same time. There isn't going to be a bidding war on Gaudreau with the Covid crisis, and a lot budgets constrained, that's perhaps the one disadvantage to years past.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Depends on how management views him. They only have 2 more kicks at the can with him to lose in the 1st round, though they did crush the Jets in fairness. But I am not so sure that they are looking for top value, rather the opportunity to move on, and strengthen the team through the draft at the same time. There isn't going to be a bidding war on Gaudreau with the Covid crisis, and a lot budgets constrained, that's perhaps the one disadvantage to years past.

I don’t see the need for the Flames to sell low on Johnny just to move him out. You just don’t move PPG players for the sake of making a trade.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Ledge And Dairy

You do realize that if you trade JG, you are very likely trading the best player in the deal, right?

So to bridge the gap, you will be getting 2-3 assets coming your way.

Expect this to happen so you are ready for it.
His comment was directed at a specific offer of Voracek + Ghost for Gaudreau. Which is extremely lopsided since Flames are downgrading, taking on subpar long term contracts and not gaining any futures in the process. I'm not saying Voracek is bad but his contract is, in the same way Benn's contract is bad.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
His comment was directed at a specific offer of Voracek + Ghost for Gaudreau. Which is extremely lopsided since Flames are downgrading, taking on subpar long term contracts and not gaining any futures in the process. I'm not saying Voracek is bad but his contract is, in the same way Benn's contract is bad.
This is a little unfair.

The last 2 years, Benn as been a sub 55 point player. Voracek has been a 66 point guy.
3 years ago Benn had 79 points, Jake had 85.

Yes Jake is overpaid, but he was heading to be a UFA and got paid and rewarded for having some near PPG seasons all while making just over 4 million.

Regardless, I think this is 2 teams who's GM's could be looking to make a hockey trade, not sell offs as both are competing, and both might want to shake up the core a bit.

We all know predicting a trade is unlikely, but I was just pointing out that the "why are we downgrading from JG" is very likely to happen as I don't see any matches out there where you trade JG+ more, for someone better than him.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yes Jake is overpaid.
That is the issue, why would would the Flames take on more cap for two overpaid players with Voracek almost guaranteed to regress more as he gets older. Maybe if it was Gaudreau + Lucic going the other way and the Flames get Frost or something.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
If anything the budget constraints work IN the Flames favour here. This is a PPG Elite top line player signed for 6.75mil, that’s a bargain and a half in any case, especially now.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Just throwing it out there but a deal around S. Reinhardt and Johnny Hockey could be somthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->