Laurent Brossoit is a Starting Goalie in the NHL

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
the thing about this being a fluke is when ever a goalie guru comes on xm radio and they mention bross they all say he has the best athleticism and technique they have seen at these goalie camps.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Nice to see LB doing well ouside of Edmonton, maybe this will turn into another Dubnyk case. Would not exactly surprise me after all..

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Dude has absolutely no business being an NHL goalie coach.
Blows my mind.

"Dustin Schwartz joined the Edmonton Oilers as goaltending coach when the team fired Frederic Chabot on Nov. 24, 2014. Schwartz spent the past four seasons as a goaltending consultant with the Western Hockey League’s Edmonton Oil Kings. During his tenure, he helped the Oil Kings collect two WHL Championships as well as a Memorial Cup in 2014.

The Stettler, Alberta native has also served as a staff member at Vimy Ridge Academy in Edmonton, working as the schools goaltending instructor as well as teaching science. Last year, Schwartz served as the goaltending coach for Team Canada in their gold medal performance at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka tournament."

Pure nepotism, OBC, red wine summit garbage.

As for Bross, I've always liked him and hope he continues to play well. Good kid.

We need to start a new campaign with goalie stats under Dustin Schwartz and anywhere else at the NHL level.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Brossoit has had good stints before. Yes this one is slightly longer than his previous ones. However, let's wait a few more games before calling him a "starter".

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
ot1gft8xms411.png

Reactions: 780il

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He has looked good, but the quality of matchups needs to be considered. Hes been getting starts against AZ, Chi, Van, Det, NJ, STL, etc. His two strongest opponents were Buf and CGY, both resulted in a loss.

Which matches up with his xSV% being one of the highest in the league.

He's been doing really well, but it's been against easy competition in regards to shot quality and quantity.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could be a Scott Darling situation - great as a backup, hell as a starter.
I like him, I'm really glad we have him, and I hope he gets more starts, but I'm not sure he's a starter yet.

This - but it is time he started getting more starts. A lot more if both he and Hellebuyck keep playing the way they have so far.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looks like he'll be a cap causality this offseason, so I'm sure someone will give him that shot as a #1

He is an RFA. Zero chance he is a cap casualty. Since this is sports arithmetic, it is 110% less than zero.
The only way he is not resigned is if he is absolute crap the rest of the season.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
The day we start seeing Brossoit getting starts consistently more than Helle is the day Maurice moves Laine back up with Scheifele for more than a period or two.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He was a decent backup before last season. He's not going to be an NHL starter, but he will be a solid backup

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
After playing for the Oilers ever other jobs probably feels like a piece of cake.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Honestly I question it a bit. The feeling in Edmonton last season is they didn't really have any urgency to sign him. They also didn't qualify him.

I think it was mutual considering the qualifying offer.
The qualifying offer might've been unreasonable given his performance last year (I don't know how much it would've been). I don't necessarily blame them at all for not qualifying him. But they might've offered a little more than league minimum as a low risk bet - given his AHL numbers it would've been smart to try to keep him around in case he worked it out as he has. Saying he took less to go to Winnipeg might've been a difference of $50k, not way less.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ya, for a goalie to have 11 excellent games on a new team and then to not dominate the league for years to come would be unheard of

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Backup on good team plays well and has great numbers in limited action. Feels like this story repeats at least once a season.

You're not wrong, although his good play cannot be summarily dismissed either. There's been some pretty bad backups on good teams over the years, including this season.

I'm glad Brossoit has found his game and confidence. I thought Calgary moved on from him prematurely and it was difficult to cheer for his success when he was an Oiler ;)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He seems to be another example of Edmonton's poor goalie coaching.

It's strange.

Apparently Dustin Schwartz(the Oilers goalie coach) was one of the first and biggest supporters of the new head trajectory stuff that's suppose to improve puck tracking, but every goalie that learns under him has absolutely abysmal puck tracking.

Dubnyk, Brossoit and, more recently, Talbot all struggled because of the same thing. They all got square, went down early, looked like they had no idea where the puck was and just prayed it hit them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad