Post-Game Talk: Last Preseason Game: Canucks 1 vs Coyotes 4: Minimalist PGT. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not by my diagnosis.

I’ve always been consistent with my message.

1) a good rebuild will take 5-7 years.
2) this rebuild started in 2014 when we traded Luongo.

Yes - it’s true that I predicted that we would get between 85-88 points this season (and I’ll liklwy be way off), but I still maintain that the Canucks will be a playoff team in 2020-2021.....with the future looking extremely bright.
pretty sure you said cup competing team, not just playoff team

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think it must be extremely demotivating to know you never had a chance. For instance, I don't think Gaunce ever had a shot at making this team.

I could understand if we gave some guys with more upside a shot but most of these guys are what they are and not going to get better
To be fair though no one grabbed a spot either. The only guy who I thought made a strong case was Motte. Gaunce, Dahlin, Juolevi etc never really showed enough.

To be clear I think it was idiotic to sign all three of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel when we probably could have just over paid Beagle and called it a day. But I can’t say I feel too sorry for any of our potential fourth liners other than Motte. I know this want be a popular opinion but I doubt if they would make many other NHL teams either.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I expect Green to break his word to the players and cut Motte even though he obviously beat out non competitors like Schaller and ex Portland Winter Hawk Brendan Leipsic. Because after all, we don't want to risk losing our trash on waivers.
I really do not understand the concern about placing players on waivers at this time of the year, or maybe all year for the Canucks. We are, arguably, the worst team in the league, and if a player is not good enough for our roster, why would some other team think that players is good enough for their roster as they would then have to send somebody down. Now, it might pay to look at the players the better teams have to waive, as they have too many talented players and likely have to waive somebody who is better than some of our players.

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
I really do not understand the concern about placing players on waivers at this time of the year, or maybe all year for the Canucks. We are, arguably, the worst team in the league, and if a player is not good enough for our roster, why would some other team think that players is good enough for their roster as they would then have to send somebody down. Now, it might pay to look at the players the better teams have to waive, as they have too many talented players and likely have to waive somebody who is better than some of our players.

Because it's pretty clear the management of this team doesn't know how to evaluate players properly.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think it must be extremely demotivating to know you never had a chance. For instance, I don't think Gaunce ever had a shot at making this team.

I could understand if we gave some guys with more upside a shot but most of these guys are what they are and not going to get better
Gaunces fate was pretty much sealed on July 1st....Wouldnt you think that he would have come to camp determined to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the team?...Or at least be a legitimate NHL player?....He didn't,..and it was all right there on the ice for everybody to see.. (also every other GM on the league)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gaunces fate was pretty much sealed on July 1st....Wouldnt you think that he would have come to camp determined to demonstrate that he deserves a spot on the team?...Or at least be a legitimate NHL player?....He didn't,..and it was all right there on the ice for everybody to see.. (also every other GM on the league)

He played 2 games. Did his job and didn't get scored on.

Had 1 poor shift in the 2nd game but was otherwise good.

2 games.

Reactions: geebaan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i don't think his fate was sealed at all. he had a wide open chance to make the team. probably the best shot he has had since he was drafted.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
i don't think his fate was sealed at all. he had a wide open chance to make the team. probably the best shot he has had since he was drafted.
I was basically referring to the fact that he was really going to be 'up against it' with the new 4th line signings..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After trying to watch last night's effort against the 'Yotes, what struck me is how every single blueliner has basically a muffin for a shot. Their shots get blocked constantly and even if they get them through to net, it's just a floater. I know everybody will lament the forwards for not scoring.

But it's unfathomable to me how the Canucks could possibly have thought their scoring might actually improve with the same set of d-men, but minus the Sedins and Vanek. Then again, maybe they'd resigned themselves to this season being a write-off and weren't too worried about it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ok...but did he actually 'do' anything.?..hit somebody,make a play,or make any sort impression?... Tyler Motte certainly did.

This is something I've been wondering as I didn't really watch preseason (and not that it change much if I did), but has that ever been Gaunce's game? This is a guy who's said something like 'some players skate around hard and look like they're effective but they're really not accomplishing anything'. At the NHL level he's a boring 4th line C/LW that doesn't score or hit or play aggressive but just quietly plays a sound defensive game that keeps the puck out of his own net.

So did he actually have a bad pre season? Or was it just the same old impressionless Gaunce that managed to find a role on an effective shut down line last season, and what we have here is a problem of looking at a player and expecting them to be something they're not?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think you're gonna see the pro-tank contingent out in full force by the first roadtrip of the season. Prove me wrong, Canucks.

I'll be 100% off Team Tank for the following:

1. the home opener
2. the game in which Elias Pettersson scores his first goal
3. the Sedin tribute game, if it should happen this year

that's about it. They made it super easy this year with that 6-game roadtrip to start

I agree, although I can never root for the Oilers or the Leafs vs the ‘Nucks ither... but I may have just bite my tongue for this season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is something I've been wondering as I didn't really watch preseason (and not that it change much if I did), but has that ever been Gaunce's game? This is a guy who's said something like 'some players skate around hard and look like they're effective but they're really not accomplishing anything'. At the NHL level he's a boring 4th line C/LW that doesn't score or hit or play aggressive but just quietly plays a sound defensive game that keeps the puck out of his own net.

So did he actually have a bad pre season? Or was it just the same old impressionless Gaunce that managed to find a role on an effective shut down line last season, and what we have here is a problem of looking at a player and expecting them to be something they're not?
..and this is precisely the reason he's headed for the AHL.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Beagle is a center. Gaunce was (likely) replaced on the roster by Schaller or Archibald.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You don't state facts. You predict worst case scenario's for every player the Canucks have at present and have ever had in the past. I get what you are doing. Sometimes you do it well, but other times.........not so much.

Ok. You’re right. Boeser has looked awesome so far. He can easily just push a button and start scoring. He’s not really even trying to score. It’s preseason, so he’s purposely not picking corners, shooting hard etc. He’s gonna score 50-60 goals likely.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So why did we replace him with Beagle at a premium $$$?
Beagle is an upgrade as a player over Gaunce in almost every way (although overpaid)..Was Gaunce even playing centre..?...Gaunce is a one dimensional fringe player on a bottom 5 team,and his demotion comes as no surprise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
i'll own to being guilty of thinking that might happen. not looking good for that one.
Some shrewed signings like bringing back Vanek wouldve been acceptable especially since he and Boeser seemed to have chemistry last year. But instead we lost 3 top 6ers and replaced them with Pettersson and a couple overpaid 10-13th forwards. The Sedins were the last thing keeping our team from being a complete laughing stock. Now the real rebuild starts, or the 2nd one afte a failed retool

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Some shrewed signings like bringing back Vanek wouldve been acceptable especially since he and Boeser seemed to have chemistry last year. But instead we lost 3 top 6ers and replaced them with Pettersson and a couple overpaid 10-13th forwards. The Sedins were the last thing keeping our team from being a complete laughing stock. Now the real rebuild starts, or the 2nd one afte a failed retool
I'm actually more concerned with the blueline - not just defensively either (most/all are so awful offensively, they add to the burden of an already anemic offense up front).

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'm actually more concerned with the blueline - not just defensively either (most/all are so awful offensively, they add to the burden of an already anemic offense up front).
No doubt and our only solid and appropriately paid players back there are from previous GMs. (Small shout out to Bennings good contract to Tanev). Hutton is grossly overpaid, Stecher can thank Edler and Hutton for his raise, Gudbranson shouldnt be here in the first place let alone re-signed, MDZ is comically bad in his own zone but I have a soft spot for him being the only one with any real grit back there, Pouliot is growing on me but is still Pouliot. I would be happy with him as a reclaimation project if the rest of our D werent also playing like projects themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad