Post-Game Talk: Last Preseason Game: Canucks 1 vs Coyotes 4: Minimalist PGT. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why is Pouliot even in the line-up? The guy absolutely sucks.
He's had a horrible pre season..although he looked decent against Arizona...My guess as to why he's in the lineup is because he creates offence from the back end,and for a team that can't score,its needed......Pouliots problems are at his own end of the ice,so we will see.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
He's had a horrible pre season..although he looked decent against Arizona...My guess as to why he's in the lineup is because he creates offence from the back end,and for a team that can't score,its needed......Pouliots problems are at his own end of the ice,so we will see.
Well he sure showed a lot of offence this pre-season....so stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: geebaan

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

unfortunately he's generally creating offence for the other team

Reactions: pgj98m3 and geebaan

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gaunce got one game where he was okay but stapled to wacey Hamilton and carter Bancks and another game thst I didn't see and somehow he was so bad in that one game I missed that he lost his roster spot after a good season last year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

since he fell off the wagon last december pouliot has looked nothing like what we saw for a couple of months that was decent. there was no reset at this camp. i see him disappearing sooner than later.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agreed,but the fact is..is that Gaunce is not an NHL player (all 31 GM's in the league seem to agree).

Eh, that’s a stretch. He’s a competent 4th line player. Guys like that abound and it’s not surprising that other GMs would just as soon stick with what they have than swap one 4th liner for another. You seem to unduly focussed on Gaunce when the entire bottom half of the roster underperformed and largely didn’t earn spots either, with the exceptions of Motte and I guess Beagle. It’s a crowded bus that you want to throw Gaunce alone under.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm not the one deflecting here..My original post was about Brendan Gaunce (#310),...Not Beagle,Schaller, Granlund, or any other players on the team...So I'm assuming you think he earned a spot in the lineup.?

My answer was Gaunce was better than... that is answering the question. You just defected again.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
oh boy Gaunce talk.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Granlund, Schaller, Beagle, Gagner (I know he was just sent down) Eriksson. I mean the bar wasn’t that high, most of the team sucked. We didn’t win a game, bled goals and didn’t score.
Fair enough,if you think Gaunce was better than these players so be it...Anyway,sting is right...Its completely a dead horse issue now..

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
since he fell off the wagon last december pouliot has looked nothing like what we saw for a couple of months that was decent. there was no reset at this camp. i see him disappearing sooner than later.
Agreed,.....he's just keeping the seat warm for Juolevi and Hughes...The entire D is worrisome..MDZ seems like he's
over his head at times....Hutton is still making key mistakes (I've never seen a D man get pick pocketed by opposing forwards more than Hutton),and Edler is moving at glacial speed these days.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Agreed,but the fact is..is that Gaunce is not an NHL player (all 31 GM's in the league seem to agree).

Fact is Burrows and Tanev have no potential to be NHL players (all 30 GMs in the league seemed to agree at the draft)

Agreed,.....he's just keeping the seat warm for Juolevi and Hughes...The entire D is worrisome..MDZ seems like he's
over his head at times....Hutton is still making key mistakes (I've never seen a D man get pick pocketed by opposing forwards more than Hutton),and Edler is moving at glacial speed these days.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you're watching a different Hutton. Hutton's biggest deficiencies seem to be defending off the rush and puck retrieval. Generally once the puck is on his stick it's out of the zone on his stick or a teammate's.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Granlund, Schaller, Beagle, Gagner (I know he was just sent down) Eriksson. I mean the bar wasn’t that high, most of the team sucked. We didn’t win a game, bled goals and didn’t score.

I'll give you Gagner and perhaps Granlund, but if you honestly think that Gaunce was better than those other guys, then I don't think you're being very objective.

I like Gaunce, and have a soft spot for the guy, but he's exactly where he belongs now.

The good news however, is that guys like Gagner and Gaunce can really make Utica be a strong team this year.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Eh, that’s a stretch. He’s a competent 4th line player. Guys like that abound and it’s not surprising that other GMs would just as soon stick with what they have than swap one 4th liner for another. You seem to unduly focussed on Gaunce when the entire bottom half of the roster underperformed and largely didn’t earn spots either, with the exceptions of Motte and I guess Beagle. It’s a crowded bus that you want to throw Gaunce alone under.

You need to give pom the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's right and the canucks scoring woes are at the fault of Gaunce.

I mean, who cares that we are too easy to score on? Who cares if Gaunce can prevent the opposition from scoring! Who cares if our top 3 lines are struggling to score! Who cares if our D is one of the worst in the league! Who cares if Gaunce has never been given a real opportunity with good linemates that can shoot! Who cares how young he is and the potential he has to be a solid 4th liner! Who cares about his loyalty and cheap contract! Who cares about being outshot every game and giving up a ridiculous amount of prime scoring chances! Floaters in our top 9? Players with no D sense?...Who really cares!

The main issue is Gaunce and his defensive starts, matched up against tougher opposition! Why can't Gaunce produce on the 4th, especially when we line him up with such high quality snipers!

If Gaunce wants to play for the canucks, he has to add highlight reel goals to his sound defensive game. Otherwise, we will just replace him with older guys who are equal/less to him in everything, but name.

To be fair, age equals quality of mentorship and this ranks just below scoring for pom. D will rank somewhere near the bottom hovering around waiver-eligibility and jersey size.

Last edited:

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
I'll give you Gagner and perhaps Granlund, but if you honestly think that Gaunce was better than those other guys, then I don't think you're being very objective.

I like Gaunce, and have a soft spot for the guy, but he's exactly where he belongs now.

The good news however, is that guys like Gagner and Gaunce can really make Utica be a strong team this year.

C'mon hss, I know that you can give up Schaller too! I'll give you Beagle in fair trade even though I think it's a wash.

Eriksson should be gone too...and Gagner deservidly so. That's 3 players alone who are taking spots, experience and opportunities away from our prospect's development. How is this good?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
C'mon hss, I know that you can give up Schaller too! I'll give you Beagle in fair trade even though I think it's a wash.

Eriksson should be gone too...and Gagner deservidly so. That's 3 players alone who are taking spots, experience and opportunities away from our prospect's development. How is this good?

Schaller?.......yeah maybe, I don’t know. He did score 11 goals last year, but many have argued that Gaunce would have produced just as much in a similar role.

As far as Gaunce goes, I’m not sure if he has another level in him.....and so I don’t think it s really a case of him being held back. Held back from what exactly? Going from being a slightly below average 4th liner to a good 4th liner?

As far as other legit prospects being held back goes, I think it was quite clear that guys like Dahlen, Gaudette, etc., needed atleast one more year in the farm. Even for a guy like Gaudette who was close to making it apparently......what’s better for his long term development? Getting limited bottom 6 minutes in the NHL, or logging huge minutes in a Top 6 offensive role in Utica?

Management’s message has been consistent: If a kid is deserving of being here, and beats out a vet, a vet will be moved. We saw this with Motte and Gagner.

Same thing for a guy like Gaunce. If he goes to Utica and rediscovers his game, maybe he’ll get recalled and will force someone like Schaller to be moved.

As far as Eriksson goes, I’m interested to see if we could trade him for a #4 defenseman on a bad contract, but is strong at moving the puck up ice and would be our third best defenseman despite not being a very good overall defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->