Post-Game Talk: Last Preseason Game: Canucks 1 vs Coyotes 4: Minimalist PGT. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
To be fair though no one grabbed a spot either. The only guy who I thought made a strong case was Motte. Gaunce, Dahlin, Juolevi etc never really showed enough.

To be clear I think it was idiotic to sign all three of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel when we probably could have just over paid Beagle and called it a day. But I can’t say I feel too sorry for any of our potential fourth liners other than Motte. I know this want be a popular opinion but I doubt if they would make many other NHL teams either.
Kind of reminds me of when I'm playing EA NHL in Franchise Mode. I offer 3 similar guys contracts because I don't know if they'll accept it, but then I accidentally get all 3 of them.

Reactions: PM

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Beagle is an upgrade as a player over Gaunce in almost every way (although overpaid)..Was Gaunce even playing centre..?...Gaunce is a one dimensional fringe player on a bottom 5 team,and his demotion comes as no surprise.

What impact is Beagle making?
He wins faceoffs.'
Washingtons PK was better when he wasnt on it.
He made every player he played with worse offensively.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What impact is Beagle making?
He wins faceoffs.'
Washingtons PK was better when he wasnt on it.
He made every player he played with worse offensively.
Honestly,I haven't really seen Beagle play enough as a Capital (or a Canuck for that matter ) to make a fair assessment of his play..My comments and post were about Brendan Gaunce..(who I have seen plenty of).

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Honestly,I haven't really seen Beagle play enough as a Capital (or a Canuck for that matter ) to make a fair assessment of his play..My comments and post were about Brendan Gaunce..(who I have seen plenty of).

I get you.

I just feel frustrated that this offense deprived team went and bought in on an aging 4th liner whose price was as high as its ever going to be. (After winning a cup) Instead of letting someone who has worked his ass off to be on the team actually compete for a roster spot this year.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I get you.

I just feel frustrated that this offense deprived team went and bought in on an aging 4th liner whose price was as high as its ever going to be. (After winning a cup) Instead of letting someone who has worked his ass off to be on the team actually compete for a roster spot this year.
Did Gaunce do anything to demonstrate to the fans and management this pre season that he deserves a roster spot on this team?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He did it the two years past. They went and replaced him in free agency.
It still does not change the fact that Gaunce underachieved...Beagle and Schaller are overpaid (no argument from me)..If you said Tyler Motte,I'd say you have a point..but Gaunce ?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
No...we're discussing Gaunce...
No....you were talking about Gaunce and appeared to reference some standard by which someone could deserve a roster spot. Given the pre-season - which we are talking about- could you please explain why Gaunce shouldn't get a roster spot over the other "players" that stunk up the ice virtually every night.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No....you were talking about Gaunce and appeared to reference some standard by which someone could deserve a roster spot. Given the pre-season - which we are talking about- could you please explain why Gaunce shouldn't get a roster spot over the other "players" that stunk up the ice virtually every night.

This is sort of what I am saying, but not quite.

We went out and paid a premium to replace our 4th liners. We don't seem to be any more competitive for it.
Imagine if we spend that money by overpaying on a short deal for a offensive guy that we could trade for picks and prospects at the deadline.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
No...we're discussing Gaunce...

If the preseason is a competition for jobs, then it makes no sense to ask what one player did to show he should have his job but refuse to discuss the competition for that job. In particular, what did Tim Schaller do in the preseason to show he should have a job ahead of Motte, Gaunce and Archibald-or any of them?

If the preseason isn't a competition for jobs, it makes the point you were trying to refute-older bottom line players have been brought in and gifted the jobs of the bottom line players we already had without those players having the opportunity to compete to keep their jobs.

Look, we're talking about marginal guys here. None of them is likely to make much difference to the on-ice fortunes of the team. The only real effects I see are:

-the team seeing old guys getting gifted the jobs of young guys whether they do them better or not and without it doing much to make the team better

-the team overpaying old guys on mult-year contracts, which has the potential to be problematic for future cap space

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If the preseason is a competition for jobs, then it makes no sense to ask what one player did to show he should have his job but refuse to discuss the competition for that job. In particular, what did Tim Schaller do in the preseason to show he should have a job ahead of Motte, Gaunce and Archibald-or any of them?

If the preseason isn't a competition for jobs, it makes the point you were trying to refute-older bottom line players have been brought in and gifted the jobs of the bottom line players we already had without those players having the opportunity to compete to keep their jobs.

Look, we're talking about marginal guys here. None of them is likely to make much difference to the on-ice fortunes of the team. The only real effects I see are:

-the team seeing old guys getting gifted the jobs of young guys whether they do them better or not and without it doing much to make the team better

-the team overpaying old guys on mult-year contracts, which has the potential to be problematic for future cap space
You're not paying attention...all I was talking about was Gaunces performance in pre season..nothing more,nothing less...(I'm not talking about the 4th f***ing line....or the politics of UFA's etc....)

I'll ask you...Did Brendan Gaunce deserve a spot on this years Canucks roster?

Last edited:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You're not paying attention...all I was talking about was Gaunces performance in pre season..nothing more,nothing less...(I'm not talking about the 4th ****ing line....or the politics of UFA's etc....)

Lol just answer his question

Reactions: Canadian Club

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
You're not paying attention...all I was talking about was Gaunces performance in pre season..nothing more,nothing less...(I'm not talking about the 4th ****ing line....or the politics of UFA's etc....)

Along with just about everyone else........no.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Did Gaunce do anything to demonstrate to the fans and management this pre season that he deserves a roster spot on this team?

Unlike his peers, he didn’t get scored on at even strength and produced positive results. That is better than almost every other player on this team.

But go ahead deflect and ignore.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Yes he did. In his games he played in the preseason he wasn’t scored upon and as a defensive fourth line center performed his job.

Who do you feel outplayed him for him to lose the job as the fourth line center taking into account salary and age as that affects the makeup of the team?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Unlike his peers, he didn’t get scored on at even strength and produced positive results. That is better than almost every other player on this team.

But go ahead deflect and ignore.
I'm not the one deflecting here..My original post was about Brendan Gaunce (#310),...Not Beagle,Schaller, Granlund, or any other players on the team...So I'm assuming you think he earned a spot in the lineup.?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not the one deflecting here..My original post was about Brendan Gaunce (#310),...Not Beagle,Schaller, Granlund, or any other players on the team...So I'm assuming you think he earned a spot in the lineup.?

Players don’t make a team in a vacuum. The performance of other players is obviously relevant.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Lines in practice;

Forwards are pretty much as I'd like it. Would probably swap Eriksson and Boeser in my own scenario.

Not thrilled to see Hutton on the outside looking in again. I thought he was demonstrably better than Pouliot...well, forever, nevermind the pre-season.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes he did. In his games he played in the preseason he wasn’t scored upon and as a defensive fourth line center performed his job.

Who do you feel outplayed him for him to lose the job as the fourth line center taking into account salary and age as that affects the makeup of the team?
So the fact that he's not a minus earns himself a spot on the team?...Horvat,Petterrsen,and Boeser are all clear minuses in the pre season.

Besides taking a penalty and 3 shots on goal ,did he do anything else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad