Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't watch Superman movies but if you didn't know it before you knew who Cruise would battle it out with in the final scene after he saved that guy getting knocked out by the lightning and free falling from the sky. It's almost like a parody on a parody. Cruise is great in that type of action though, that's why he can do so many of these films without people randomly falling a sleep in the theaters.
I dislike action movies as much as the next person (maybe more!) but I actually enjoy the M.I. series.

Last edited:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
MV5BMjI0NzcyMjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzk2NzAyNTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
MV5BNzAwNzUzNjY4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQ5MzM0NjM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Upgrade and Venom seem to have very similar storylines. In Upgrade, a human acquires super skills after a computer chip is inserted in his neck (spine); it speaks to him, needs the human host to survive, it appears to have ethical issues. In Venom, a human acquires super skills as an extraterrestrial life form absorbs itself inside him; it speaks to him, needs the human host to survive and appears to have ethical issues. Both human hosts had their life turned upset down (before the encounter), require an adjustment period after symbiosis and the relationship enhances their natural abilities to succeed. Both hint at a sequel. I liked both films. I think the better quality and more serious movie was Upgrade, but Venom was a bit more entertaining once it really got going. Venom has the Marvel one-liners that are always fun (but I'd still have to give Upgrade an extra half point overall for the attempt at being a bit more serious and less comic book).

Upgrade (2018) - IMDb
Venom (2018) - IMDb
I just watched both these movies with some friends (Upgrade was first) and they really did seem like sister movies. Upgrade got to be a LOT nastier (My friend's wife even had her fist in the air after the first combat scene. She's definitely a keeper.) but we had fun with both.

We also watched Mandy and immediately after I was looking up info on the Cheddar Goblin. :laugh: Turns out they based him on the creatures from Ghoulies, which was my original avatar until someone was kind enough to 'shop him into Gritty. I was not surprised in the least.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I just watched both these movies with some friends (Upgrade was first) and they really did seem like sister movies. Upgrade got to be a LOT nastier (My friend's wife even had her fist in the air after the first combat scene. She's definitely a keeper.) but we had fun with both.
Upgrade is the far superior film.

Reactions: Amorgus

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Vice [2018] :

Vice is an interesting spin on the life of Dick Cheney. I say "spin" because the political slant is undeniable and ever-present. Still, the movie is entertaining - albeit over the top / all over the map.

The performances, especially from Bale, carry the movie and make it worth seeing.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can't seem to find a copy of The Cakemaker with English subtitles. A good chunk of the movie is not in English. Does anyone know where I can find a subtitled copy?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't seem to find a copy of The Cakemaker with English subtitles. A good chunk of the movie is not in English. Does anyone know where I can find a subtitled copy?
That's come down a few nothchs for me since I first saw it, but it is still a lovely film. I rented it from a local shop Queen Video and the DVD had subtitles. Libraries sometimes are good at locating difficult to find movies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Vice [2018] :

Vice is an interesting spin on the life of Dick Cheney. I say "spin" because the political slant is undeniable and ever-present. Still, the movie is entertaining - albeit over the top / all over the map.

The performances, especially from Bale, carry the movie and make it worth seeing.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

Nothing against you or your review, but I've noticed that I've really lost patience with the " Not a great movie, but * insert Hollywood actor * really makes this worth seeing " commentary. I can't think of an instance where a truly poor movie was made good by a great acting performance. The other flaws are far too flagrant. No actor, no matter how good they are, can hide them. Poor actors can be carried by a great film/screenplay/cinematography. A great actor cannot make a poor film a great one. They can elevate a good film to a great one, hell, even an average one to a good/fun/watchable one (i.e. Training Day) but they can't save a film from its creators and sensibilities.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nothing against you or your review, but I've noticed that I've really lost patience with the " Not a great movie, but * insert Hollywood actor * really makes this worth seeing " commentary. I can't think of an instance where a truly poor movie was made good by a great acting performance. The other flaws are far too flagrant. No actor, no matter how good they are, can hide them. Poor actors can be carried by a great film/screenplay/cinematography. A great actor cannot make a poor film a great one. They can elevate a good film to a great one, hell, even an average one to a good/fun/watchable one (i.e. Training Day) but they can't save a film from its creators and sensibilities.
Doesn't seem like the OP is suggesting it's a great movie because of the acting. Hence the 7/10.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Doesn't seem like the OP is suggesting it's a great movie because of the acting. Hence the 7/10.

No, I know. Hence my disclaimer. I have no qualms with someone giving praise to an actor in a not so great flick. It just made me think of my gripe. Still - and that's just me - but I would consider 7/10 as a good movie.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Creed (2015) - 6.5/10

A fairly overrated boxing film but it has one thing going for it: style. That and Sylvester Stallone is fun to watch, really the only good actor in this film. Usual stuff you'd expect in a boxing film, melodramatic acting, lots of cliches and montages, fighter being an underdog. Far less dynamic and interesting than the other boxing film I saw this year (The Fighter featuring a crackhead Christian Bale).

One good thing though, it really made me wanna download and install the Fight Night Champion game I got on a PS3 sale last month.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
13 Cameras (2015) and 14 Cameras (2018) - Available on Netflix.

upload_2018-12-27_11-43-44.jpeg
(3.5/10)

MV5BMTk4ODY4MTg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODUzNDk2NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
(5/10)

Pretty standard low budget B-list horror/thriller movies. The overall premise is interesting. A creepy landlord places hidden cameras throughout his properties to spy on his tenants. Voyeurism and general creepiness ensues. The actor who plays the role of the landlord does an incredible job of achieving maximum creepiness. The dialogue is what you'd expect from a B-list Netflix horror film.

14 Cameras is a direct sequel to the first installment. I actually think that the 2nd one wasn't an absolutely terrible movie (that's about as far as I'll go). The dialogue doesn't get much better, but the premise is a lot better, I think. The direct recycling of bits from the first movie in the sequel is laugh-worthy, to be honest. However, the plot actually has a couple of nice twists in it that legitimately surprised me and added to the movie. Some plot holes and a rushed ending really leaves a bad taste, imo.

They're overall pretty poor movies, but if you're a B-list horror junkie like me, they're worth a watch.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's come down a few nothchs for me since I first saw it, but it is still a lovely film. I rented it from a local shop Queen Video and the DVD had subtitles. Libraries sometimes are good at locating difficult to find movies.
Library might be a good idea. Thanks!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Fair enough.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Exactly.

It's a flawed movie. It's all over the map - director Adam McKay tries to be too clever by half.

There's just so many reasons NOT to see most movie (silly plot, poor writing/direction, bad acting), sometimes you need a reason to see one.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Now, I have seen a number of movies that I thought were poor overall, but the performance of the lead was worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any examples at the top of my head, so I will have to half-agree with you.
:laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Now, I have seen a number of movies that I thought were poor overall, but the performance of the lead was worth the price of admission. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any examples at the top of my head, so I will have to half-agree with you.
:laugh:
For me the lead performance will only make a difference if the movie is iffy - where it could go either way.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
watched three billboards

solid movie, lots of cool moments with some “oh shit” dialogue

but lots of weird plot holes and characters doing things that dont make sense

7.5/10

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
03beale-street2-articleLarge.jpg

If Beale Street Could Talk (2018) Directed by Barry Jenkins 7A

An adaptation of a James Baldwin novel set in New York in the '70s, If Beale Street Could Talk focuses on one family's experience of racism. Tish (KiKi Rivers) finds out that she is pregnant at close to the same time that her partner Fonny is sent off to prison for a rape that he didn't commit. The movie focuses on the very difficult task of seeking justice in a system that is clearly stacked against any such thing. Director Barry Jenkins (Moonlight) finds an interesting way to direct this movie, relying on some intentionally lathered-on-thick mood music--a mix of ambient, electronic and jazz--and tons of atmosphere generated by cinematographer James Laxton. The movie has an elegiac, hushed quality fitting for its story of young love trying to cope with problems young lovers shouldn't have to even face. It's a movie that held my attention and impressed me, but I also felt the directorial interventions weren't necessarily the best way to always tell this story. While it's an impressive piece of film making, I found I was admiring the direction more than I was feeling any real emotional connection to the characters in the movie despite fine performances all around. Still, it is an important story and definitely worth seeing.

Few days later
: Bumped to a "7." Yes, I don't think that Jenkins' stylistic approach always best suits the material, but the portrait that emerges of black families trying to lead the best lives that they can despite the inequities that they face on a daily basis is a memorable one, an insight that should be obvious but too often isn't.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
watched three billboards

solid movie, lots of cool moments with some “oh ****” dialogue

but lots of weird plot holes and characters doing things that dont make sense

7.5/10
Hated that movie. I'd watch BlackKKlansman 10 times (and I didn't like BlackKKlansman) before I'd watch Three Billboards, again.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
For the Best Foreign Films Oscar category, there are only 3 I have not seen from the December shortlist, which are Roma, Ayka, and Never Look Away, so I believe I can make a fairly accurate assessment. While I am disappointed that some of my choices got left out, the list is a fair one.

Of all the nominees that I have seen, I fully expect to see Cold War and Shoplifters make the final list, because they are the two best films I have seen all year. Roma will likely make it too, due to the critical responses. That leaves 2 spots.

Personally, it will likely be between Burning, a slow-burn thriller mystery that has a lot to say, Never Look Away, a film about the aftermath of the Holocaust that I have not seen, The Guilty, a very well-written thriller that keeps the audience at the edge of its seat, and Capernaum, which is about displaced people, with a focus on children, in refugee camps. Now, I hope The Guilty will make it, because it is the best thriller I have seen in a long time, but I think the most likely choices will be Never Look Away, because the Academy voters are more inclined to vote for films about Hollywood, or to a larger extent, show business, and World War II and its aftermath, and Capernaum, due to its timeliness. I did not like Capernaum too much, because it is too heavy-handed and overly dramatic, but that is the same criticism I had for The Insult, and it still got a Oscar nomination last year. Burning, meanwhile, can be quite hypnotic, but I do not think it is the voters' cup of tea. I am also bored out of my mind with that one, as it to meanders no end.

Ayka could very well snag a spot, but the chances are slim, because almost nothing is known about it. Finally, The Birds of Passage is unlikely to garner any support. It has an interesting premise, but the storytelling is too stop-and-go after a while, and it merely scratches at the surface.

Thus, even though my personal choices will be Cold War, Shoplifters, Roma, The Guilty, and Never Look Away, the final list will likely Cold War, Shoplifters, Roma, Never Look Away, and Capernaum. I hope this help people's Oscar bingo.
;)

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Avengers Infinity War again. I wanted to see how it holds up after I've marinated on it. Still one of the best MCU movies. I still find it remarkable how well the multiple story threads intertwined. And the Russos handled the dramatic ending very well. Another thing that struck me is the pacing. With so much to cover you would almost expect a breakneck pace but there was plenty of time here for the movie to breathe. I mean sure, the minute Dr. Strange meets Iron Man they're pretty much jumping into action within 5 minutes, but given the gravity of what is at stake in the film I thought the pacing was handled near perfectly. There were some plot contrivances but given the nature of the story I think they are more than excusable.

My 9/10 holds up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Brody-The-House-that-Jack-Built.jpg

The House That Jack Built
(2018) Directed by Lars von Trier 6D (well made; requires perhaps more tolerance than it deserves)

This might have been the best portrait of a serial killer since, well, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. But von Trier has more ambitions than that. The focus here is on Jack (Matt Dillon, very good), a psychopath who has killed over 60 people. We look at five separate incidents from his life while Jack and a mysterious figure named Verge (Bruno Ganz) discuss Jack's tortured theories about art and his elaborate methods of cruelly killing people. The victims are almost always women--who are portrayed as some combination of dumb and/or bitchy and/or weak and/or trusting--killings that are clever, brutal and intentionally revolting. This might seem like an artsy Midnight Madness work, save for the fact that the film has intellectual pretensions that people just interested in shock and gore probably don't have the patience for. I found von Trier's musings about art and morality shallow and unpersuasive, but they give the movie a sheen of seriousness that it might otherwise have lacked. What to do with this guy? In most ways that count The House That Jack Built is an ugly movie. During the proceedings, I spent some time wondering about stuff like is misogyny covered by the term misanthropy or are they two separate things? I went with "two separate things" as my answer. To wit, Von Trier doesn't appear to like people at all, but he has a special disrespect for women in general. To be fair, in many ways the film is brilliant, possibly the best edited movie that I have seen this year. But it requires that its viewers have an open mind about von Trier and by this stage of his career such open minds may be understandably in short supply.

The next day: There is one despicable moment in this film that I wish I hadn't seen--and it doesn't involve a human. I think about it every time the film comes to mind. It is a really sick thing to do and it is really troubling that von Trier directs a child to do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad