Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I thought The Idiots was superb, personally.

I don't think I've seen that one. I've seen Festen (The Celebration) though by Thomas Vinterberg, another Danish dogma film from the late 90s. It's a good film.

Dogville by von Trier was pretty good too. It dragged out too much though so I fell off the last 10–15 minutes or so.

Reactions: Amerika

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I barely remember what The Post was like. It is very forgettable.

Nothing really happens, and I find Streep's character to be very inconsistent. She ran the paper for a couple of years at that point, but for dramatic effect, the movie still portrayed her as a novice who gets manipulated and jerked around, only to find her backbone at the end, which I find to be obvious and not believable. Hanks, meanwhile, just sleepwalks through the movie, as he brings almost nothing to the table.

Like a lot of movies that gets released in December, this is one of those poorly done Oscar baits that is only good for one viewing for those who are curious, but has no revisit value.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I barely remember what The Post was like. It is very forgettable.

Nothing really happens, and I find Streep's character to be very inconsistent. She ran the paper for a couple of years at that point, but for dramatic effect, the movie still portrayed her as a novice who gets manipulated and jerked around, only to find her backbone at the end, which I find to be obvious and not believable. Hanks, meanwhile, just sleepwalks through the movie, as he brings almost nothing to the table.

Like a lot of movies that gets released in December, this is one of those poorly done Oscar baits that is only good for one viewing for those who are curious, but has no revisit value.

This.

It was a paint-by-numbers Oscar bait drama.

I had the same feeling about Bridge of Spies to be honest.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Aquaman_DC_Comics.jpg

Aquaman
(2018) Directed by James Wan 4A (below average; wouldn't challenge a petunia)

I had no plans to see Aquaman. But yesterday while I was watching college football bowl games, the rest of the family went to the movie and liked it a lot, so much that I got tempted. I had fun for the first half hour, but then I slowly realized that the makeshift story was neither going to get any better nor any more engaging. The visuals were great, but why construct so much detail and not give us a little time to appreciate it. Busy, busy movie. Pretty soon I was numbed out as one nearly identical fight scene followed another. Then there's the female (rest of my family)/male (me) angle. Conservatively I would say that I was 1000 times less impressed by Jason Momoa than anyone else in my family. I really don't see the appeal. He looks like a cross between Jaws of James Bond fame and a professional wrestler, and he has all the charisma, for me anyway, of some retired linebacker doing colour commentary for the Buffalo Bills. When the best thing I can think to say about an actor is "he's sort of amiable," well, that's a bad sign. The movie also seemed endless--but the "less is more" approach has never been one that director James Wan is partial to. I will grant that some of the 3D effects were very nice, but there is just not enough of a real movie here for me to recommend it. At least Aquaman seems to realize it is asinine and just goes with it, so I gave it a little credit for that.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Then there's the female (rest of my family)/male (me) angle. Conservatively I would say that I was 1000 times less impressed by Jason Momoa than anyone else in my family. I really don't see the appeal.

:laugh: My wife and I have the same difference of opinion.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Conservatively I would say that I was 1000 times less impressed by Jason Momoa than anyone else in my family. I really don't see the appeal. He looks like a cross between Jaws of James Bond fame and a professional wrestler, and he has all the charisma, for me anyway

You have daughters, right?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Women dig Momoa. That is all you need to know.
:laugh:

Honestly, he is a pretty chill dude in person too. I love his interviews, because he has a great sense of humour.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
This.

It was a paint-by-numbers Oscar bait drama.

I had the same feeling about Bridge of Spies to be honest.

Yeah, Bridge of Spies is quintessential Oscar bait. I will still recommend it though, because at the very least, Spielberg is a capable director, and he made an entertaining movie that got me invested at all the twists and turns. More importantly, I am somewhat impressed that he made Hanks care, as it was one of Hanks' better recent performances, and that is very hard to do these days.
:laugh:

I really did not care about The Post. Nothing about it feels authentic.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I haven't seen Aquaman yet, I guess I'll wait to see it on a small screen then. I definitely would not go see that just for Jason Momoa either. I have a theory that women might be attracted to amphibian fish-men, given that The Shape of Water won the Oscar last year. ;) But I suppose I can see why women would prefer to go see Momoa than Dick Cheney. And I guess a shirtless Momoa is DC's answer to Marvel's shirtless Chris Helmsworth; part of the new recipe for attracting more women to buying tickets to a once more male-oriented comic book superhero genre is the stud factor.

I liked both The Post and Bridge of Spies, Bridge a bit better. But I can see why people would be disappointed after all their so-called Oscar hype. But I agree, I think an old Spielberg has lost some of his mojo. He always was a very commercial Director though, some may have expected him to evolve more after Schindler's List but he seems more comfortable turning out Jurassics, Ready Player Ones or Tintins (more of a box office Hollywood style storyteller).

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I haven't seen Aquaman yet, I guess I'll wait to see it on a small screen then. I definitely would not go see that just for Jason Momoa either. I have a theory that women might be attracted to amphibians, given that The Shape of Water won the Oscar last year. ;) But I suppose I can see why women would prefer to go see Momoa than Dick Cheney. And I guess a shirtless Momoa is DC's answer to Marvel's shirtless Chris Helmsworth; part of the new recipe for attracting more women to buying tickets to a once more male-oriented comic book superhero genre is the stud factor.

I liked both The Post and Bridge of Spies, Bridge a bit better. But I can see why people would be disappointed after all their so-called Oscar hype. But I agree, I think an old Spielberg has lost some of his mojo. He always was a very commercial Director though, some may have expected him to evolve more after Schindler's List but he seems more comfortable turning out Jurassics, Ready Player Ones or Tintins (more of a box office Hollywood style storyteller).
I think Spielberg and Hanks deserve one another. Hanks only wants to play bland good guys and Spielberg aims to please even if it is to the detriment of his movie (I so hate the ending of AI: Artificial Intelligence, but most of his 21st century movies have an ingratiating quality that irritates the hell of me. I mean, why the final scene in Bridge of Spies, for instance). A pox on both their Porsches.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
The most surprising thing is finding out Kihei watches college football. I mean, I always thought he only watched movies!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Sorry To Bother You. I absolutely loved it and thought it was hilarious. Because it is kinda absurdist I went to go look at user reviews on imdb and it seems like people either gave it a 10/10 or 1/10, love it or hate it type of ordeal.

Reactions: Arizonan God

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Aquaman
(2018) Directed by James Wan 4A (below average; wouldn't challenge a petunia)

I had no plans to see Aquaman... At least Aquaman seems to realize it is asinine and just goes with it, so I gave it a little credit for that.
If I NEVER see another Super Hero movie, it'll be too soon.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
cbale_VICE.jpg.png

Vice
(2018) Directed by Adam McKay 6A (good movie; accessible)

Vice is an entertaining if inconsistent character study of Mr. Deep State himself, Dick Cheney, who was Vice President under Bush, the Lesser. Indeed Vice is more ambitious than that as it starts by providing a brief history of Republican attempts to manipulate the Presidency for their own often nefarious benefit. The history is viewed from a definite liberal perspective, though one that most Canadians won't have much of a problem with. While the material does seem meticulously researched and convincing, Vice falls short of director Adam McKay's previous work The Big Short. Where the The Big Short moved with a snappy efficiency even when it was explaining complex economic policy, Vice has so many points it wants to make it sometimes tries to cover too much territory. There is some inspired trickery, such as one scene when Cheney and his wife break out in Shakespearian verse, but that only makes the sum of the movie's parts end up seeming far greater than the whole. As Dick Cheney, Christian Bale, not my favourite actor by a long shot, is brilliant, literally disappearing into the role. He has Cheney's hand movements, his guarded eyes and his speaking rhythm down perfectly. His Cheney is ruthless, smart and decisive, the real brains behind stumblebum George W Bush's all to easy to manipulate administration (Sam Rockwell as Bush is very good as well). Bale gives more of an impersonation than a performance, but it is a hell of a good one.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Vice (2018) Directed by Adam McKay 6A (good movie; accessible)

Vice is an entertaining if inconsistent character study of Mr. Deep State himself, Dick Cheney...Bale gives more of an impersonation than a performance, but it is a hell of a good one.
The Shakespearian give and take was too clever by half and it took away from the movie. The credits at the half way point was also distracting.

I enjoyed the ordering of food at the restaurant. I thought that was clever - but I wish that was the directors only attempt.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The most surprising thing is finding out Kihei watches college football. I mean, I always thought he only watched movies!
I watch all sports. You need to check out the tennis page which is where I consider home to be.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Now we enter the Wasteland months. Between now and How to Train Your Dragon III in late February, if a tempting movie pops up, it will be a miracle.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Now we enter the Wasteland months. Between now and How to Train Your Dragon III in late February, if a tempting movie pops up, it will be a miracle.
Perfect time for me to catch up on all of the foreign and limited release stuff I missed in 2018 :D

And don't tell me you aren't excited for A Dog's Way Home???

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Perfect time for me to catch up on all of the foreign and limited release stuff I missed in 2018 :D

And don't tell me you aren't excited for A Dog's Way Home???
No, but Pick of the Litter (currently 100%--47 for 47--on Rotten Tomatoes) has me real tempted. I have had the privilege over the years to number a couple of Labradors among my best friends, so I will likely check that one out.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

I still need to catch up. I have not seen Wreck-It-Ralph II, Fantastic Beast, If Beale Street Can Talk, Aquaman, and Vice. That will probably take me to Febraury.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Aquman. Would rate this movie on par with Wonder Woman but a notch below the Dark Knight series. Fun movie from beginning to end. Loved all the characters and their portrayal. Seeing Mamoa sporting the traditional Aquaman colors , Black Mantha and Ocean Master with true to comic outfits was awesome !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->