Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
The House with a Clock in it's Walls, Directed by Eli Roth, 7+

MV5BMTk1MzM1ODEwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE0OTA4NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This is a kid's movie and the kid in me really enjoyed this one. I'm not a big Jack Black fan and I had to be talked into watching it but the movie is magically imaginative. You have to understand I'm rating this as a kid's movie, not an artistic cinematic masterpiece. It received only mildly favorable reviews from the film critic sites, and perhaps my expectations were low but once it got rolling I was in for the ride. I'd say it's a Harry Potter knockoff but the original book was written before Potter. It was mildly successful at the box office so I hope to see sequels ($130 million on a 40 million budget); there are 11 more books in the series so they have more stories available. I'll add a warning here, this probably isn't for the typical serious cinephile here. Watch it with your inner kids' eyes (if they're still available) and it's entertaining in the sense a parent can enjoy it too watching with his/her children.

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (2018) - IMDb

Reactions: Amorgus and kihei

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The Favourite - 8.5/10

So good. I heard a lot of people were hung up on the ending but I thought it worked. The three central performances are fantastic, and Hoult added a fun element as well. Hopefully Yorgos makes some more comedies because I love his twisted sense of humor.

Reactions: OzzyFan and kihei

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Favourite - 8.5/10

So good. I heard a lot of people were hung up on the ending but I thought it worked. The three central performances are fantastic, and Hoult added a fun element as well. Hopefully Yorgos makes some more comedies because I love his twisted sense of humor.
Great to hear, can't wait to see this.

Don't think there's any worry about comedy with Yorgos, he made a movie that revolved around deciding which family member to kill off hilarious.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Going to watch Mulholland Drive for the first time in years tonight. I remember being relatively underwhelmed by it but it's so highly acclaimed that I figure I should try it again. Watching Blue Velvet again - which I always loved - a couple of months back kind of triggered it. Probably will give another shot to Eraserhead and Lost Highway again too.
I love the opening to Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive is not as complicated as it seems, but a lot of stuff just went over my head the first couple viewings. Either way, Naomi Watts’ performance is just staggering.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I love the opening to Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive is not as complicated as it seems, but a lot of stuff just went over my head the first couple viewings. Either way, Naomi Watts’ performance is just staggering.

I ended up smoking pot and...not watching and the rental ran out. :laugh: I'll probably rent it again over the next week though. Yeah, I don't remember finding it difficult (or any of Lynch's movies for that matter). Excited to watch it. Might try to catch Roma tonight though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I ended up smoking pot and...not watching and the rental ran out. :laugh: I'll probably rent it again over the next week though. Yeah, I don't remember finding it difficult (or any of Lynch's movies for that matter). Excited to watch it. Might try to catch Roma tonight though.
Watts in MD could break bones.

Tully (2018) - 3.5/5

Mackenzie Davis is my favorite actress working right now. She’s a powerhouse. I’m excited to see where her career goes from here. I’ll definitely be seeing the new Terminator just for her.

Goes without saying that Charlize Theron killed this role.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The House that Jack Built: 7.8/10

The first half of the movie was on pace to be the best movie of the year but the 2nd half is not quite as strong despite also having some great moments. Still one of the most memorable movie of the year.Uma Thurman is good in it.

a simple favor: 7.5/10 Enjoyable but Something is missing to put it on the same level of Gone girl.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Mule [2018] :

As per Wiki...

"The Mule is a 2018 American crime film produced and directed by Clint Eastwood, who also plays the lead role. The screenplay is by Nick Schenk, based on The New York Times article "The Sinaloa Cartel's 90-Year-Old Drug Mule" by Sam Dolnick. The film is inspired by the true story of Leo Sharp, a World War II veteran in his 80s who became a drug dealer and courier for the Sinaloa Cartel."

Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper are good. Dianne Wiest is awful. No one else makes an impression.

The Mule is void of tension. A shock given the source material's potential.

5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1_png.48299.4.jpg

The Quake
(2018) Directed by John Andreas Andersen 7A

The Quake
is a sequel to 2016's The Wave, a very effective tsunami thriller that takes place in the fjords of Norway. The Quake uses the same characters, still traumatized by their past experience and by all the people whom they couldn't save, and puts them smack dab in the middle of another brewing ecological disaster, one that could take down Oslo. There is absolutely nothing original about the movie; within five minutes you can figure out the narrative arc of the story because we have seen it so often before--starting with the desperate man whose fears won't be taken seriously by those around him. In lieu of originality, The Quake takes all the old tropes associated with disaster movies and plays them better than anyone else has done in years and years. While The Quake has heart and insults no one intelligence, its trump suit is suspense. I can't remember the last time that I uncontrollably wiggled in my movie seat because of what was unfolding on the screen. The Quake may break no new ground in the genre (for once, the play on words is not intentional), but it is the most thrilling suspense movie I have seen this year.

subtitles

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I remember all your flicks
Your yelling, spastic, crazy tics
You’re in rage Mr. Cage
Your face in the cocaine
That’s an obscenely large chainsaw
The chainsaw goes into...

A demon biker or some rando rube?
It’s like Rob Zombie od’d on quaaludes
Why is this so purple?
Is that another lense flare?
Poor Andrea Riesborough
Are those dudes from Hellraiser?

Ohhh Mandy

Well you’re nonsense but still entertaining
But I wish I was high, oh Mandy
Nic Cage is unhinged. Not complaining!
I’d probably watch it again, oh Mandy

It plays like a dream
Not always a good one
Crying in his undies
But that tiger sweater, tho?

Ohhhh Mandy

You have strong cult movie potential
Which is better than most, oh Mandy
Sense of pace or logic? Not essential!
It still sort of works, oh Mandy

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
The Dark Knight Rises
When i watch this his films i have ridiculous feellings as if he talk trough them: Hey, look at my so damn epic and serious drama that i made, i am so f***ing cool director, lol... but music is really cool

Last edited:
Reactions: aufheben

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I remember all your flicks
Your yelling, spastic, crazy tics
You’re in rage Mr. Cage
Your face in the cocaine
That’s an obscenely large chainsaw
The chainsaw goes into...

A demon biker or some rando rube?
It’s like Rob Zombie od’d on quaaludes
Why is this so purple?
Is that another lense flare?
Poor Andrea Riesborough
Are those dudes from Hellraiser?

Ohhh Mandy

Well you’re nonsense but still entertaining
But I wish I was high, oh Mandy
Nic Cage is unhinged. Not complaining!
I’d probably watch it again, oh Mandy

It plays like a dream
Not always a good one
Crying in his undies
But that tiger sweater, tho?

Ohhhh Mandy

You have strong cult movie potential
Which is better than most, oh Mandy
Sense of pace or logic? Not essential!
It still sort of works, oh Mandy

There was a girl named Mandy
Who married a guy she thought dandy
His name was Red
Who couldn't live with her dead
So he killed everyone who was handy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
themule_main.png

The Mule
(2018) Directed by Clint Eastwood 4A (very uneven movie; accessible)

About an 80-something horticulturalist named Earl (Clint Eastwood) who becomes a cartel drug mule when his former livelihood is made obsolete by the internet, The Mule is a semi-interesting bad movie. The first two acts are so cheerfully amoral (Eastwood is totally non-judgemental about Earl's new career choice) that it is a shame that the third act arrives only to deliver such a thud. Earl, himself, is a complicated character--a failure as a father and husband, casually racist in the manner of his age group, Eastwood nevertheless manages to make him just self aware enough to be sympathetic. It's a lovely, unexpected performance, and I wish I could say that his direction is as good as his acting. But it isn't. While the third act pours on the sentimentality, the actual climax of the film seems to be missing a key scene (not actually surprising, as had it been included, the audience probably wouldn't have believed it anyway). Other continuity problems occur as well. But Eastwood's main problem here has to do with his fellow cast members. Always a director who minimizes rehearsal time and prefers to rely on first or second takes, he leaves his fellow actors out to dry this time around. The only scenes where the actors even look marginally engaged are those scenes with Eastwood in them. The rest of the family and federal agent exposition scenes are flat as piss on a plate. Neither the federal agents played by Laurence Fishburne and Bradley Cooper have anything to work with (Fishburne is reduced to saying "Go, do it" in about six not very different ways at roughly 15 minute intervals) and the theatre-trained Dianne Wiest, used to tons of rehearsal time and regular repetitions of performance, is so lost that she can't even convincingly portray a woman from the Midwest, let alone a dying former wife. The Mule provides one of Eastwood's best performances, but other than that, it's a sloppy piece of film making.

Note: if The Mule is evidence of a certain decline in Eastwood's skills as a director, I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to old age. Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira managed to make damn good movies when he was 102 and 104-years-old (The Strange Case of Angelica; Gebo and the Shadow, respectively).

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Other Side of the Wind. Can this movie be enjoyed out of context? I’ve read both a recent book about its long, rocky history and watched the doc They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead, which covers much of the same material. Now THAT is a fascinating story and one that enriches this curio of a film. But does Wind work on its own, without knowing all that history and backstory? Structurally it’s interesting — famed director hosts a house party to screen his latest troubled production, footage of which is interspersed throughout. Welles is a master and it’s fun to get a peek at what he could do when turning away from Shakespeare and classic literature to do something more modern and of the moment. Buuuuuttt... I can't call it good.

It’s a movie that takes the piss out of pretentious art house movies (Antonioni, in specific) and yet I think it’s fair to also classify this as a bit of a pretentious art house movie itself, albeit one that wasn’t the style of the time. It’s a talky, self-referential, meta commentary on art and artists and masculinity. I just wish it were as intelligent or as witty as it clearly thinks it is. The whole thing is a pose and one Welles can't fully pull off.

On top of that, if you know anything about Welles (even beyond the history of this movie itself), it’s hard not to be thinking of reality versus the fiction presented here. Welles went to his grave saying it wasn’t autobiographical, but it’s extremely hard not to make those connections. So Welles made a movie about people talking about him. That’s a tough feeling to shake. Continuing in that vein, does Peter Bogdanovich not get the joke? He either has an incredible sense of humor/self or he’s oblivious. (In fairness, it’s so obvious that it has to be the former, but man it’s hard not to feel Welles is taking direct shots at Bogdanavich here).

It plays with a take-down of Hemingway-style great men a little too, which adds another layer since the director is played by John Huston who very much was a Hemingway-style macho type A who himself would be later semi-caricatured in Eastwood's White Hunter Black Heart. Boy the groaner of a title alone sounds like a rejected Hemingway book, The Other Side of the Wind.

John Huston mugs and seemingly only speaks in quips. Bogdanovich is a bad actor.

More interesting for film class or maybe even better a film history class than an actual couple hours on your couch.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
izzy-2.jpg

Izzy Gets the F*ck Across Town
(2017) Directed by Christian Papierniak - 4/5
Starring Mackenzie Davis, Carrie Coon, Alia Shawkat, Haley Joel Osment

A woman at rock bottom must find her way across Los Angeles in order to crash her ex-boyfriend’s engagement party.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Favourite (2018)
3.25 out of 4stars

Wacky fun darkly funny "3 lead" period piece. Stone/Weisz/Colman nail it with gusto. And as usual, some really interesting and scary commentary on empty/selfish killing with kindness deception, tough controlling yet real love, and manipulation/allowing oneself to be manipulated due to grand payoffs. If that makes sense/is understandable. It's kind of scary, but a shade of the first thing I mentioned, "selfish killing with kindness manipulation", is sort of what many people do throughout relationships to meet their end goal it appears (marriage, kids, house, comfortable life/future) and some claws, or more openness with aggression/arguments come out after. Some interesting discussion stuff brought up in this for sure.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Capture-1.png

Mary Poppins Returns
(2018) Directed by Rob Marshall 3A (bad movie; accessible)

Whenever Emily Brunt's Mary Poppins is the focus of the movie, Mary Poppins Returns is a delight. Blunt is a worthy inheritor of the Julie Andrews role, which she plays slightly differently but no less charmingly. However, whenever she is not the focus, which as the movie progresses is a surprisingly large portion of the time, the movie has all the charm of a corporate Christmas card. MPR ends up featuring way too much on Lin-Manuel Miranda's Jack, the clever Cockney lamplighter that Dick Van Dyke turned into an iconic character, horrendous English accent and all. Yes, Miranda, of Hamilton fame, is an accomplished song and dance man for sure, but he possesses none of Van Dyke's joyful expressiveness that made him so appealing to kids. This movie is basically a musical, which is funny because I never thought of the original as a musical. Yet, there is not a single memorable song in the new version, nothing even remotely hummable. Many of the production numbers occur at night or in dark rooms, thus giving the movie a gloomy atmosphere that is absolutely anathema to the notion of fun. A gratuitous music number featuring Meryl Streep should have never seen the light of day--and stands as a clear indication that the makers of this movie have no idea what made Mary Poppins special in the first place. As well, MPR spends a lot of time on the fact that the Banks family could lose their home, and Ben Wishaw as the harried father plays his role like he was auditioning for one of the male roles in King Lear. He so intense and downbeat that the movie loses the playful glow of the original almost entirely. Blunt is great; I could not watch her without smiling--I just wish the movie came even close to deserving her. But it doesn't.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
The Player(1992). Directed by Robert Altman, Starring Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi, Fred Ward, Peter Gallagher, Vincent D'Onofrio and dozens of Hollywood stars in small/cameo roles

Robbins stars as Griffin Mill, a slimeball executive at a fictional Hollywood studio who's worried that an equally slimy up-and-comer(Gallagher) is angling for his job. To make matters worse, for weeks he's been receiving death threats via mail, presumably from a spurned screenwriter. But which one? There are thousands of writers to whom he's given the cold shoulder over the years. The studio's security chief(Ward) seems more interested in playing a Hollywood version of himself and talking about old movies that his father worked on than in doing his actual job. This, combined with the fact that Mills doesn't want to appear skittish to his boss during a moment of vulnerability, causes him to keep it a secret from everyone but his loyal secretary. Late one afternoon, having reached his breaking point, Mills searches back through months worth of pitch meetings until he believes he's identified the writer in question, David Kahane(D'Onofrio). That night Mills goes to to see him in the hope they can bury the hatchet. Kahane is as volatile as the letters suggest, but maintains that he didn't write them and spurns Mills' offer of employment....

The Player is darkly funny satire of Hollywood and the people in it. All of the actors give excellent performances, although none rise to the level all-time great. The film starts with a famous, nearly 8-minute long unedited shot. The script, adapted from his novel of the same name by Michael Tolkin, balances humour, tension and intrigue expertly and manages to keep different plot threads together without overwhelming the viewer. At no point is the viewer left with too many unknown questions, and at no point do we understand enough of the myriad characters to be sure of their motives or loyalties. In a town that markets illusion, everyone is an actor.

If I had to give this a numeric rating, I'd say 9/10. Even if you have no interest in the inner workings of Hollywood, there's still something in The Player that you'll enjoy, even if you don't understand the old movie references or recognize all the cameos and supporting actors(one of the highlights is Whoopi Goldberg and Lyle Lovett, who together play one of the quirkiest detective duos in movie history). For me it's a perfect 10, but movies about making movies is one of my favourite sub-genres, and it was directed by Robert Altman, so in a way it's as though this film was created specifically for me. If you like film noir(classic or modern), you'll love The Player. If you used to watch Entourage and thought "Boy I'm tired of Vince and the gang, but I love Ari and his various studio plots", you should definitely watch it(a very young Jeremy Piven has a small role).

A couple of warnings: The Player has some nudity, sex, profanity and violence. Though it's certainly nothing that an adult would consider excessive, it definitely isn't appropriate for children. My parents probably would have let me watch it at 14. If you've watched a bunch of Coen brothers movies, any teenager whom you feel is ready for the majority of their work is certainly ready for The Player.

The other warning is that the sound editing can be a little difficult for some people to follow, including me. If you've ever seen a Robert Altman movie before (MASH, The Long Goodbye, McCabe & Mrs. Miller) you'll know what to expect. If not, the sound editing is often done in such a way as to give the viewer the impression that they're in a room with multiple parallel conversations and they're trying to focus on one. This is often done in parallel with zooms. So there will be an establishing shot with a conversation happening in the foreground, which you'll hear at first, then the camera zooms past to focus on the main characters' conversation. As this happens the foreground conversation will fade out and the main dialogue will have it's volume increased. That being said, there's often something in the background so if you're like me and have difficulty separating out extraneous sounds when having a conversation, you'll probably want to watch The Player alone the first time so you can rewind a few seconds and catch the dialogue you missed.

People might be put off by the late 80's/early 90's wardrobe. If you watch the trailer keep in mind that all trailers were like that in the early 90's and that in three decades everyone will look back on trailers from our day and wonder why everyone seemed to ape Zero Dark Thirty.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018)

What a blast. I've been pretty burnt out on these superhero movies lately, but this one is truly special. There is a level of care and craft in here that is a rarity in the genre these days. It may not tread new ground in it's plot machinations, and the end gets a liiiitle bit generic 3rd act superhero-y, but for the most part, I loved it. The animation is spectacular, made in the style of classic and new style comic books alike. It truly is a "capital C" comic book movie. Great voice acting to boot, with Jake Johnson as an old, washed up Peter Parker being the stand out to me.

It's a mostly fresh take in a mostly stale genre, and I would recommend this one to pretty much everyone. Even if the movie itself doesn't impress somebody...I'm sure the animation will.

8/10

Reactions: Puck

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The Mule … and the theatre-trained Dianne Wiest, used to tons of rehearsal time and regular repetitions of performance, is so lost that she can't even convincingly portray a woman from the Midwest, let alone a dying former wife.
She is the worst part of a very mediocre movie. Her death bed performance really kills any chance the movie had. I've always thought her acting was overrated - Hannah And Her Sisters be damned.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad