Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Roma was good. Nothing really stood out about it to me other than the lead actress, who really was well cast. Very well-crafted and well shot as expected, along with having a lot of heart, but I was just expecting more considering the hype. Still very good though, that one scene ~3/4 through was excellent.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Fahrenheit 11/9: 7.5/10

If you can pass over Moore usual silliness and bias opinion ( a Hitler-Trump comparison and a Ivanka and President Trump incest allusion ) there is still is some compelling and interesting stuff about the Flint water crisis, a teacher strike, democracy crisis, the parkland youth movement, newfaces and new blood in politic.

The Sisters Brothers: 6.5/10 a slow pace western.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Aquaman (2018)
2.50 out of 4stars

Superb visuals, quality action, bits of humor, make this fun light popcorn adventure/origin superhero movie a treat to watch. By no means is this something groundbreaking or anything, but the 2.5~ hours or so went by fast and fun. This movie knows what it is and doesn't try to force anything it's not.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Aquaman (2018)
2.50 out of 4stars

Superb visuals, quality action, bits of humor, make this fun light popcorn adventure/origin superhero movie a treat to watch. By no means is this something groundbreaking or anything, but the 2.5~ hours or so went by fast and fun. This movie knows what it is and doesn't try to force anything it's not.
The ONLY part I liked...

When Aquaman is in a bar and 4 knuckleheads come over to say "hi". You fully expect the scene to write itself - with a fight where Aquaman cleans everyone's clock, but they took it in another direction. I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Topped the Sight and Sound poll, too.

The best films of 2018 | Sight & Sound
That's a good link, thanks. I remember seeing it a few years back but lost track of it.

I noticed many sites have older films listed, like Loveless and Faces, Places. I can understand Phantom Thread, that was released in early January 2018 and slipped under the Academy Award deadline, but the others must have only been released in the UK later, as opposed to earlier releases in other countries? (to me, Loveless will always be a 2017 film)

I never saw The Favorite coming on my radar screen this year. I had scoured the film websites and posted the bigger film projects remaining for 2018 (best of my knowledge) and never saw anything about The Favorite this year (thought it would go 2019 after the NY festival)). I had posted my list on page 12. Looks like that is an Oscar frontrunner (not sure in what category Roma sits, BP or Best Foreign). Vice seems to be getting some buzz too.

It might be my imagination but 2018 seemed to be a relatively quiet year for films (very good ones anyway), but things seemed to have picked up a bit lately.

p.s. I see The Image Book is at no. 11, that will have Nameless scratching his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's a good link, thanks. I remember seeing it a few years back but lost track of it.

I noticed many sites have older films listed, like Loveless and Faces, Places. I can understand Phantom Thread, that was released in early January 2018 and slipped under the Academy Award deadline, but the others must have only been released in the UK later, as opposed to earlier releases in other countries? (to me, Loveless will always be a 2017 film)

I never saw The Favorite coming on my radar screen this year. I had scoured the film websites and posted the bigger film projects remaining for 2018 (best of my knowledge) and never saw anything about The Favorite this year (thought it would go 2019 after the NY festival)). I had posted my list on page 12. Looks like that is an Oscar frontrunner (not sure in what category Roma sits, BP or Best Foreign). Vice seems to be getting some buzz too.

It might be my imagination but 2018 seemed to be a relatively quiet year for films (very good ones anyway), but things seemed to have picked up a bit lately.

p.s. I see The Image Book is at no. 11, that will have Nameless scratching his head.
Yeah, the release date thing varies from country to country wildly, so it's a very slippery thing. I noticed Zama is doing really well this year whereas it made my top twenty list last year, whereas Foxtrot will likely make my list this year though it was released in most other places last year; its the same for another of my candidates On the Beach Alone at Night, which is also listed as a 2017 movie though it did make the top ten list this year at Cahiers du Cinema, the former New Wave hangout still going strong after all these decades.

I agree entirely about the quality of the year. I think in terms of depth this might be the worst year this century, certainly among the candidates anyway. And it seemed weak on both domestic and international fronts.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
The Favourite (2018)

I didn't mind the ending specifically, but the last 3rd of the movie in general did lose a bit of steam for me. Which is a shame, because for the first 2/3rd's, I was enthralled. It was well on it's way for a 9 or even 10, but I landed for in the 7 to 8 range. Still a very good film, no doubt. My favourite (heh) for best cinematography at the Oscars. And Emma Stone continues to be one of my favourite (double heh) actresses working today.

7 or 8/10, will have to re-watch to stick to a specific number here

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They Shall Not Grow Old [2018] :

Peter Jackson's documentary shows young men being drafted by, and fighting with, the British Army during World War I. Even though many of the boys are underage, they lie to enlist - like kids trying to be recruited to play the newest video game. They see the war as something new and the killing of Germans as a challenge. Something fun.

Once they get to the front, however, they realize they are in hell. Still, they make the most of their situation, laughing, joking and growing close, all while knowing they could die at any moment.

Most of the 100+ year old footage has been coloured and, at first, it comes as a shock. However, it grows on you and makes the fighting/suffering/death feel more authentic. Add audio and the documentary becomes a captivating/gut wrenching experience.

A quick aside : Watch the reaction of the soldiers as they stare into the camera - they seem more frightened of the futuristic recording devise than they do of the Germans.

They Shall Not Grow Old is a great documentary!

8.5/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
They Shall Not Grow Old [2018] :

Peter Jackson's documentary shows young men being drafted by and fighting with the British Army during World War I. Even though many of the boys are underage, they say they are 19 because they are eager to join - like kids trying to be recruited to play the newest video game. They see the war as something new and the killing of Germans as a challenge. Something fun.

Once they get to the front, however, they realize they are in hell. Still, they make the most of their situation, laughing, joking and growing close, all while knowing they could die at any moment.

Most of the 100+ year old footage has been coloured and, at first, it comes as a shock. Fortunately, it grows on you and makes what you're seeing feel more authentic. Add audio and the documentary becomes a captivating experience.

A quick aside : Watch the reaction of the soldiers as they stare into the camera - they seem more frightened of the futuristic recording devise than they do of the Germans.

They Shall Not Grow Old is a great documentary!

8.5/10

Movie Trailer :
Really looking forward to seeing this documentary.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Really looking forward to seeing this documentary.

The colour looks great and Jackson added just enough audio - I was worried he'd overdo it.

The doc really is terrific and a (not so gentle) reminder of how lucky we are :

* Tomorrow, I'll be swimming and wrapping gifts;
* Last time I looked, I've never slept in a feces soaked ditch, while my toes froze off, and bullets whizzed overhead.

Those poor guys went thru hell.

Last edited:

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Spiderman into the Spiderverse.

9/10 for me, loved it. Animation was fantastic, story was good with emotional highs and lows and enough funny moments.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am less enthused about The Favourite compared to you guys. For a period piece, it is very well-done, with good acting, very beautiful and authentic mise-en-scene, and an interesting plot about court intrigue. However, I thought it lacks the bite of previous Lanthimos films, so it is rather boring, to be honest. It moves at a good pace, but other than that, it does nothing for me.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Bad Santa

The heartwarming holiday classic for our times returns again for another year. Billy Bob Thornton reprises the role he was born to play: Willie "Tugboat" Soke, yearly Santa impersonator/safecracker and all around vile, disgusting piece of reprehensible human garbage. Every year he and his midget co-conspirator Marcus "The Prince" Skidmore run a scam somewhere in the US: Willie poses as a department store Santa while Marcus is his elf helper, and on Christmas Eve Marcus slithers past the security while Willie cracks the safe and they steal enough to get by for another year. This year the gig's in Phoenix, but Willie's becoming steadily more unhinged. The chainsmoking and alcoholism are now too severe to ignore, and the prudish mall manager (John Ritter in sadly his last film) is getting more uncomfortable with his nymphomania and constant drunkenness. The mall cop (Bernie Mac, also RIP) smells, among other things, a rat. Things aren't looking good for Willie and Marcus this year...but enter the almost supernaturally naive Thurman Merman, glassy-eyed preteen lump of cherubic gormlessness who thinks Willie is really Santa. Also he lives in a nice house with no parents and only a senile Grandma for supervision. Hell-o free lunch! But is Willie growing a heart? Or occasionally bathing? Can the mall cop be bought off? Who the hell would seriously want to sleep with Billy Bob f***ing Thornton? Watch as some of these questions are answered.

It's not often you watch a holiday tradition being made before your eyes, but there it is. Look at it as a tale of redemption. No matter how horrible you are you can still steal a BMW, have anal sex with large black women, try to kill yourself and end up crashing at a really dumb kid's place. Isn't that really what Christmas is all about?

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Home Alone 2 (1992) Horror.

Two bumbling small time criminals once again fall victim to an evil manipulative psychopath hellbent on murdering his victims in another torture house of doom. At the same time he defrauds a hotel while traumatizing it's dedicated employees who were just trying to do there job. Full of unrealistic things, like not missing their flight, not spending 12 hours waiting in a TSA checkpoint, there conveniently being an empty seat on the wrong flight at Christmas time... Though the lawsuits that would result from this movie would probably explain how they can afford such a nice house, take a million people on vacation each.... Oh My God! They are using the lawsuits from previous vacation "misadventures" to fund their lavish life style. It's a Scam.

4 out 5 for what it is.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Le Samouraï (1967) by Jean-Pierre Melville – 7/10

I kinda liked this film. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good/okay (for it's genre, I guess), and I'm not even a sucker for films taking place in Paris (I actually slightly dislike them, most often). I fell upon it (the film) through the music of François de Roubaix whose film music compositions I happen to like (La Scoumoune :thumbu:)

The protagonist (" ") is a contract killer who lives with a smallish cage bird and likes minimalistic interior design. He shoots a guy at a nightclub and then the films rolls on in a pretty moderate tempo, except when the protagonist feels the need to change number plates on stolen cars at his silent/grumpy old friend's garage in the suburbs, because then he/the film always seems to be in a hurry.

The cage bird seems to get more and more distressed throughout the film, which I guess could be interpreted as a mirror image of the concealed feelings of its owner. The protagonist only seems to get slightly distressed once, after quite a long chase in the subway (where he's tailed by half the city) and a subsequent run (which could also indicate a suspect fitness level, because he lays a lot in his bed smoking cigarettes).

Music is good too of course (because F. de Roubaix) so the film gets 7 white gloves out of 10.

600px-Le_samourai_costello_second_revolver1.jpg

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) - 7/10

Good solid action but I don't think I'll ever enjoy an MI movie as much as Ghost Protocol. That might have more to do with me being in my early rather than later-20s when I saw that in 2011 and these MI movies just becoming repetitive over time. The two issues with this one were the stiff dialogue and the villain. I just found it tough to buy Cavill as a villain when he literally played Superman last year. The action is good but it doesn't feel as fresh as it did in the past. It felt more like the inevitable wait for the close call and for the IMF team to win. The helicopter scene and Kashmir setting were really well done though.

All About Lily Chou-Chou (2000) - 7/10

Good potential somewhat ruined by its length and the extremely annoying 'chat scenes' that felt like a pretentious interruption of the movie. The flow was intentionally fragmented but the chat scenes just made it worse. I'm not really into the whole depressive teen angst thing either but it was at the core of the film leading to all the good scenes and the bad ones.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My Dinner With Hervé [2018] :

A (recovering alcoholic) reporter is sent to interview Hervé Villechaize - he of Fantasy Island fame. Hervé takes him out for a wild night. The reporter learns something about himself
rolleyes.gif
as the two become friends.

What could have been a fascinating story fails, partly, because it is too long - 110 minutes should have been 80. It also disappoints because, to the movie`s credit, Villachaize comes across as a self important, self absorbed jerk, and, in the end, that negativity negates any sympathy we might have had for him.

Peter Dinklage is very good.

4/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) - 7/10

Good solid action but I don't think I'll ever enjoy an MI movie as much as Ghost Protocol. That might have more to do with me being in my early rather than later-20s when I saw that in 2011 and these MI movies just becoming repetitive over time. The two issues with this one were the stiff dialogue and the villain. I just found it tough to buy Cavill as a villain when he literally played Superman last year. The action is good but it doesn't feel as fresh as it did in the past. It felt more like the inevitable wait for the close call and for the IMF team to win. The helicopter scene and Kashmir setting were really well done though.

I don't watch Superman movies but if you didn't know it before you knew who Cruise would battle it out with in the final scene after he saved that guy getting knocked out by the lightning and free falling from the sky. It's almost like a parody on a parody. Cruise is great in that type of action though, that's why he can do so many of these films without people randomly falling a sleep in the theaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad