Las Vegas 1st Captain

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Rick Nash. 7.8M one season. Former star, fans will wanna see a guy like that and he is constantly racing back down the ice backchecking his rear off. Guy defines what a captain is. Perfect guy to have. PS- DO NOT DRAFT DUSTIN BROWN.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
How about Trevor Daley.
- veteran guy
- has cup
- magnificent skater so one would assume he has plenty left in a tank
- UFA
- this was said about him:
During his time with the team, Trevor Daley was one of the most professional players in the Dallas Stars organization. Whether it was his work on or off the ice, he was always liked by the fans, the coaching staff and his teammates.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dustin Brown for the win, would be a good Captain. 7 pts in 12 games.
His leadership, experience and role playing alone makes him a worthy pick for a franchise that has no intentions of being a cap-CEILING club any time soon!

As a fan, why care about his contract if the team ain't gonna push the ceiling and is willing to fork out the dough?

brown_nov11.jpg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Exactly, especially if we can get a decent pick/asset out of LA by choosing him.
I don't see the big deal with getting upset if we pick Brown, his contract isn't going to that bad especially for a team entering it's first season and by the time we're looking to contend his contract will likely be up or close to it.

We're going to need to fill four lines too, so even if he's not lighting the world on fire he can still be a dependable bottom 6er.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Dustin Brown for the win, would be a good Captain. 7 pts in 12 games.

So protect him from the draft and give him back the C.

His leadership, experience and role playing alone makes him a worthy pick for a franchise that has no intentions of being a cap-CEILING club any time soon!

As a fan, why care about his contract if the team ain't gonna push the ceiling and is willing to fork out the dough?

Because the Kings are a division rival and dying to get rid of him, as evidenced by the Kings fan quoted above.

Last edited:

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Rick Nash. 7.8M one season. Former star, fans will wanna see a guy like that and he is constantly racing back down the ice backchecking his rear off. Guy defines what a captain is. Perfect guy to have. PS- DO NOT DRAFT DUSTIN BROWN.

Nash has been great this year and I doubt he will re-sign with Las Vegas. I think Rangers unprotect Zibanejad.

If Nash does get unprotected and leaves, I think he will come back to NYR and take a paycut.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Nash has been great this year and I doubt he will re-sign with Las Vegas. I think Rangers unprotect Zibanejad.

If Nash does get unprotected and leaves, I think he will come back to NYR and take a paycut.

Zib will most definitely be protected

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They are going to draft a team of veterans and their captain will be a veteran.

Why the hell would anyone make the captain of a Las Vegas team some 19-year-old? It's amazing anyone thinks that would be a good idea.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Marian Hossa if left unprotected would be a very good pick up for Vegas. Yeah he's 37 and signed for a few more seasons but he can still flat out play. Plenty of leadership there, plenty of experience. Cup winner multiple times. Cap hit of 5.275M but only paid 4 mill this year and 1 mill the rest of his contract. Plus it works for both teams. Chicago gets that cap relief.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
They are going to draft a team of veterans and their captain will be a veteran.

Why the hell would anyone make the captain of a Las Vegas team some 19-year-old? It's amazing anyone thinks that would be a good idea.

If they draft a team of vets, this team will be the 1993 Florida Panthers all over again.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Joe Thornton might be available. He scored 82 points in 82 games last season but has had a slow start with just 13 points in 21 games this season (not bad, but not elite), so the Sharks may not want to pony up the money that he would want, especially since San Jose has a lot of centers and rumor has it Marleau and Thornton would be on the way out.

Thornton is a stand-up guy who passes excellently and plays hard: would make an excellent Knight.

A two-year $10 million offer might not be enough, but it's worth a try.

joe-thornton.jpg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If they draft a team of vets, this team will be the 1993 Florida Panthers all over again.

They need a good mix of vets and young players. To be successful an expansion team needs to build for the long term, if they only draft vets they might make the playoffs on a fluke, but they'll be re-building faster.

Joe Thornton might be available. He scored 82 points in 82 games last season but has had a slow start with just 13 points in 21 games this season (not bad, but not elite), so the Sharks may not want to pony up the money that he would want, especially since San Jose has a lot of centers and rumor has it Marleau and Thornton would be on the way out.

Thornton is a stand-up guy who passes excellently and plays hard: would make an excellent Knight.

A two-year $10 million offer might not be enough, but it's worth a try.

Thornton won't go to a new team unless he wins the cup this year and really wants out of SJ for whatever reason. I wouldn't count on getting someone like Thornton this year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I seriously see Hossa in Vegas.

The Hawks could use the cap space, he can be exposed, for a team on a budget looking to hit the cap floor Hossa is idea given his actual salary will only be 1 million but his cap hit will be 5.2 so that will help Vegas... Oh and the guy has been to 5 finals in the past 10 years so he is a "name player" not to mention he would be a great mentor to the young talent that will be in your system... He's done it all and is a future HOF'er that can still play to boot.

Hossa and Vegas make too much sense.

So I think Hossa will be Vegas' first captain.

I can't see it. Hawks won't expose him (or trade him) because if he retires as a result of not wanting to play for Vegas they get hit with an insane amount of cap recapture. He only makes 1M for the last few years of his contract, so after making 100M+ in salary throughout his career, there is no real financial incentive for him to keep playing. In CHI he has the incentive of winning more cups and building on their legacy.

If Vegas manages to get Lazar from Ottawa, I could see him wearing an A and possibly being penciled in as a future captain type. With the way Dzingel is playing, the only way he is protected is if Ottawa decides to make the bold choice of leaving Ryan unprotected. Although as it is now, Methot will be unprotected.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
All of you ITT wanting a Shark for your captain......have fun with Joel Ward

No but seriously, he'd be a good captain. A Dustin Brown of sorts, except that he can play hockey.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If Jack Johnson ends up with Vegas I see it being him if it isn't Hossa.

At what point of his career has Hossa ever hinted that he would ever want to be a captain. There is a reason some guys aren't captains, heck Hossa doesn't even want to be assistant captain.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
There was a list that was released of the players that are required to be protected by their teams. So unless some of the folks you guys are bringing up apparently waive their rights to become eligible to be selected they won't even be available in the expansion draft.

Link

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad