Las Vegas 1st Captain

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Brown, Staal, Hossa, Johnson were four of the five players that came immediately to mind to me, and to other posters too, apparently.

Also, though: Ryan Callahan! He went from 28 to 10 goals this last season and if he's closer to the latter than the former next season, then the Lightning aren't gonna protect the then-to-be 32-year-old's 5.8 mill per *** contract, and Vegas can have him under contract for its first three seasons.

AP740938968266_cb467kg8_063a9rm5.jpg

IMG_8473.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pulling for Orpik!! Help the Caps out of a pinch and he'd be a great leader for a few years. Not too long of a commitment from LV either.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
When I saw Minnesota sign Eric Staal for 3 years, I instantly thought he would be the next captain of the Las Vegas franchise.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think a gritty but alright player may get exposed and end up as captain:

Think Foligno, Dustin Brown, Marc Staal, Callahan(?) etc.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Vegas would be incredibly foolish to draft Brown. He's not good. They don't need him. His bad contract is a burden on a division rival. They don't need Dustin Brown and his regretful contract to reach the salary floor.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
both are true but he's also captained a team to 2 cups

which is what the vegas people will take into consideration more than anything

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
What about Andrew Cogliano? He'll only have 1 year left on his contract with a great cap hit, he's a heart and soul type of player who has seen a failed rebuild in Edmonton and then a successful franchise in Anaheim and is the current NHL iron man. I'd think he'd be a great fit for a new franchise and likely won't be protected.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If Despres continues to have injury concerns I can see them taking Cogliano. He'd definitely be a contender for an alternate captaincy.

both are true but he's also captained a team to 2 cups

which is what the vegas people will take into consideration more than anything

His production for how much he gets paid is inexcusable. Brown's leadership is not what won them two cups.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Picture this...

Vegas wins the Stanley Cup in their third or fourth year.

Bettman comes out onto the ice to hand the Cup to the captain. Everyone is cheering. He makes a short speech about the successful year and blah blah blah expansion teams being competitive out of the gate with this model. Gives a few thanks to everyone, as he normally does.

Finally, he looks over to the Vegas squad, who are all smiles.

"Dan Girardi, come give Vegas their first Cup!"

Has a nice ring to it, right?

[sup]But in all honesty, I don't see Vegas having a captain in their first season. Maybe a few alternates.[/sup]

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If they can score a 1st + a decent prospect I don't see why it'd matter that much. He's an NHL player still, although an overpaid bottom six forward, they still need to fill those holes. His contract will only have four years on it by the time we can even pick him anyway.

Not saying he should be the captain, but wouldn't be opposed in picking him for the team.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
If they can score a 1st + a decent prospect I don't see why it'd matter that much. He's an NHL player still, although an overpaid bottom six forward, they still need to fill those holes. His contract will only have four years on it by the time we can even pick him anyway.

Not saying he should be the captain, but wouldn't be opposed in picking him for the team.

I see this happening. LA makes an offer to take Brown and LV gets some extras with it.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Only four years? That's a horrendous contract on a guy who won't improve. He's bury the contract in AHL territory in a year or two territory, let the Kings deal with the implications of that. I'd rather take a crap Kings player I can cut than eat up good cap space for a guy who is going to be getting by on what he did before and not what he can do now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad