Las Vegas 1st Captain

Anarchy Joe

Jun 30, 2013
Really think they should go with three A's until they get a long term guy there comfortable with being the captain

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No doubt he gets it.

I don't like throwing the C around for stupid reasons, but the Wranglers connection adds to his resume for the C, for sure.

I'd prefer they went the Wild route and just A'd everyone, but if there's a C, I wouldn't complain if it's him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I agree with the 3 A's thing since this is a brand new team. Most times, fringe 4th liners line Bellamare don't get letters, so I don't see that happening.

In the modern NHL, the team's best player usually gets the C unless there is someone close to them and are more of a natural leader. Its not the old days where the Engelland types get if for being tough, team first, character guys.

I don't know how Shipachyov's english is, but if he can speak it reasonably well, I think he is a darkhorse Captain. Other darkhorses I could see getting an A would be Eakin, or even Reilly Smith. Solid players who have been in the league a couple of years and look to be players GMGM see's sticking with the team for a good while.

Anarchy Joe

Jun 30, 2013
I agree with the 3 A's thing since this is a brand new team. Most times, fringe 4th liners line Bellamare don't get letters, so I don't see that happening.

In the modern NHL, the team's best player usually gets the C unless there is someone close to them and are more of a natural leader. Its not the old days where the Engelland types get if for being tough, team first, character guys.

I don't know how Shipachyov's english is, but if he can speak it reasonably well, I think he is a darkhorse Captain. Other darkhorses I could see getting an A would be Eakin, or even Reilly Smith. Solid players who have been in the league a couple of years and look to be players GMGM see's sticking with the team for a good while.

Reily Smith also has a connection with Gallant from last season before he was fired from the Panthers job and is signed for 4 years makes sense for one of the A's

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
nobody on the roster is really a great captain. One of the issues with trying to get prospects and mid 20's. Who will lead?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
nobody on the roster is really a great captain. One of the issues with trying to get prospects and mid 20's. Who will lead?

That's a big debate on one of the local hockey podcasts.

I personally think you give it to the actual leader regardless of on-ice performance and value leadership as a skillset that's almost as important as on ice skill. Some people think leadership doesn't matter until you're trying to make a run.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Going with the three A as well, Bellemare-Engelland-Neal, but I guess they have to give the C to someone, to be the face of the franchise.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I wouldn't mind Engelland getting the C but I wouldn't be opposed to the team rolling 3 A's until there guy comes along.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
Your captain doesn't have to be your best player. To that point, Engelland (as a Las Vegas native and a long-time NHL veteran) might seem like a solid choice for the "C".

However, you're also talking about a team in which you've basically plucked 30 guys at random from 30 different locker rooms across the league, and now you're putting them all together. Who really knows what's gonna happen? Going with just the 3 alternates for a few months (or the year) could work, too. Let the leadership flow naturally within the team, and the new captain could become evident.

If not for the rules regarding goalies being captain, you could even make a solid case for Fleury. Now, I don't think the Knights want to go through the bureaucratic hurdles of trying to captain a goaltender, so there will be no letter on Fleury's jersey. But, regardless of what happens with the "C" (or the alternates), I still can see Fleury as being a strong voice of unity and leadership within that locker room.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Going with the three A as well, Bellemare-Engelland-Neal, but I guess they have to give the C to someone, to be the face of the franchise.

They have great personality (Bellemare), fighters attitude (Engelland) and scoring ability (Neal).

Except Neal, they've all had consistently BAD plusminus stats in their previous teams. I prefer my leaders responsible through actions.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

There are still moves to be made so it's hard to say for me. We still don't really know what the "final" roster will be. I think there are still four or five trades that seem to have been speculated will happen. :popcorn:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There are still moves to be made so it's hard to say for me. We still don't really know what the "final" roster will be. I think there are still four or five trades that seem to have been speculated will happen. :popcorn:

I just posted almost the exact same thing in the Methot thread. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad