Las Vegas 1st Captain

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
I think the team will have several aging, but still somewhat good veterans who are overpaid by a million or two. So, that means several good captain candidates. I don't think it'll be Brown though. The length of his contract is scary even for an expansion team.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't help a rival get out of a bad contract.

I agree. If we're going to play these guys a few times a year, I'd rather do it with them overpaying an underperforming former captain than with us doing the same for some "leadership" qualities.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I would be fine with Brown with some +'s added for incentive.

That's a long contract and his prime days are behind him. That incentive would definitely have to be pretty significant and I'm talking more than a first round pick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I could actually foresee Jaromir Jagr signing a 1-year contract there, would he be a good candidate?

By 2017? I mean I wouldn't mind it but I doubt he'll put up good numbers. Plus I'd imagine if he goes to one last team he's probably gonna try to take a depth role on a contender.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
By 2017? I mean I wouldn't mind it but I doubt he'll put up good numbers. Plus I'd imagine if he goes to one last team he's probably gonna try to take a depth role on a contender.

Well only he would know this, so I'm just speculating, but at this point in his career I just imagine he's having fun playing hockey and getting paid to do so, and doesn't care about cups anymore, since he won 2 early on in his career. A 1-year stint with Vegas and helping grow the franchise as the initial star face of it is something I just imagine him doing. I could just be totally wrong though.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
May be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the NHL changed the rule after that not allowing goalies to be captains anymore.

Yeah, takes too long to get them to the ref crease.

Pretty sure goalies are no longer permitted to do the captain thing.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Luongo was the captain but due to NHL rules wasn't allowed to have the C on his chest so the Canucks went with 3 A's on the ice.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Picture this...

Vegas wins the Stanley Cup in their third or fourth year.

Bettman comes out onto the ice to hand the Cup to the captain. Everyone is cheering. He makes a short speech about the successful year and blah blah blah expansion teams being competitive out of the gate with this model. Gives a few thanks to everyone, as he normally does.

Finally, he looks over to the Vegas squad, who are all smiles.

"Dan Girardi, come give Vegas their first Cup!"

Has a nice ring to it, right?

[sup]But in all honesty, I don't see Vegas having a captain in their first season. Maybe a few alternates.[/sup]

There's one problem with your scenario ( one!:laugh:). According to everyone out there, the entire building would be filled by the away team fans....so they would still boo Bettman:sarcasm:

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
Also, though: Ryan Callahan! He went from 28 to 10 goals this last season and if he's closer to the latter than the former next season, then the Lightning aren't gonna protect the then-to-be 32-year-old's 5.8 mill per *** contract, and Vegas can have him under contract for its

No move

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Kings are gonna force feed Dustin Brown minutes in the hopes he can step up his production and get Vegas interested. If he bounces back Vegas will take him. If he keeps trying to be a finesse player who refuses to go to the dirty areas of the ice and puts up 20 points I think the Kings are stuck with him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was thinking that

1. Marleau hasn't much chance of re-signing in San Jose because of teammate/organization issues they've had in recent years.
2. Marleau would be a skilled UFA next summer: still has world class wheels and has still been valuable on special teams (playing a regular shift on the 3rd line last year must have burned him).
3. Vegas can promise him a top-6 role and offer him the 'C' (for at least the first year) to be the first-ever captain of the franchise. Patty was an NHL captain for 5 years.
4. Vegas is not that far from San Jose and Patty would likely take a 2-year $10 million deal to become the Vegas captain (word was that he was willing to waive his NMC to go to Anaheim or LA so maybe Vegas as a UFA next summer would attract him).

Marleau_VAN_012009.jpg

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Please take Bouwmeester from the Blues. The Blues would love to get out of the contract as they have other needs and a good pool of young D's to replace #19. Doubt it will happen as Vegas says they want young players

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
both are true but he's also captained a team to 2 cups

which is what the vegas people will take into consideration more than anything

More than anything? More than talent? Las Vegas benefits more from him wearing a Kings sweater than an LV sweater. I'll eat my hat if Dustin Brown ever captains Las Vegas to a Cup.

I was thinking that

1. Marleau hasn't much chance of re-signing in San Jose because of teammate/organization issues they've had in recent years.
2. Marleau would be a skilled UFA next summer: still has world class wheels and has still been valuable on special teams (playing a regular shift on the 3rd line last year must have burned him).
3. Vegas can promise him a top-6 role and offer him the 'C' (for at least the first year) to be the first-ever captain of the franchise. Patty was an NHL captain for 5 years.
4. Vegas is not that far from San Jose and Patty would likely take a 2-year $10 million deal to become the Vegas captain (word was that he was willing to waive his NMC to go to Anaheim or LA so maybe Vegas as a UFA next summer would attract him).

I'd be shocked if Marleau wants to spend his twilight years with an expansion team when there are many playoff teams out there that would happily sign him.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think it might be a smart idea to not name a captain right away. Let the team play for a bit, see who takes on the leadership before you name it. If someone jumps out through training camp, do it before the first regular season game, if not, maybe at the All Star Break.

Just naming one for the sake of having one named would be a mistake

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
Can't send them back to their original teams until after the first season on the ice, if I remember correctly. I'm not seeing that in the FAQ thread though, I'll have to double check.

I'm 95% sure if we draft a guy from the Penguins (for example) that guy can't go back to the Penguins until January of the following year.

Can they make a three way trade so the person they draften would still go to the old team. Let's say LV draft Maroon from the Oilers and Haula from Minnesota. Could then LV send Haula to Edmonton and Maroon to Minnesota and then they get traded for each other. LV gets draft picks and the players goes back to their old teams? Would that be legal??

PokerPig

Jan 10, 2009
Burnaby, BC
Alex Killorn when they draft him from TB.

He will be signed for 6 more years at the time of the expansion draft, at 27 hes the right age to lead the expansion team for the next few years until a home grown hero emerges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad