Las Vegas 1st Captain

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Been thinking about this, what type of captain would you guys see as the most beneficial to Las Vegas?

Do they go down the Landeskog route and get a really young guy that will be around for ages?

Do they get a veteran who leads by example like Chara.

Do they get a tenacity guy like Parise?

Not those guys exactly, but those type?

Personally, I think we get a young character guy, and stick with them like Avs have done with Landeskog.

Thought's ?

Also, if the club could somehow make him available thos coming season, to take part in player discussion and the build, even better.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Minnesota thing and kind of left it open for a while. However, I think it really depends on who's on the team.

I've got a feeling they're going to take the best available player from each team and play it out from there. It would be great if they could get some character/locker room guys in the mix, and I'm sure they will but I hope on the ice performance is the main consideration.

There's no way you can pull 30 guys from the league and not get some good guys in the locker room. Once they're here and together as a group let it play out.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think it unlikely they will be able to take BPA from every team. They have to take into account position and the salary cap in piecing together who gets picked from where.

I don't see young guys with demonstrated leadership qualities getting exposed. I think you go with a veteran to start, maybe a younger guy gets an A.

And players aren't available this season, nor do they take part in team building. That's for the GM to do.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Hopefully they make someone with leadership qualities. Veteran with leadership experience, willing to stay longterm with the team after being drafted.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think it unlikely they will be able to take BPA from every team. They have to take into account position and the salary cap in piecing together who gets picked from where.

I don't see young guys with demonstrated leadership qualities getting exposed. I think you go with a veteran to start, maybe a younger guy gets an A.

And players aren't available this season, nor do they take part in team building. That's for the GM to do.

Oh for sure, we're not keeping all of them and BPA isn't always going to work. I'm just saying that if it comes down to two guys from a team, you pick the BPA that fits and not the guy you think can be the captain.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't want them to set a Landeskog standard. I want experience to be valued. If we have an amazing leader who's 18-20 make him an alternate.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It all depends, but if we grab a potential future HOF'er who's best days are behind him I'd be for that, like what San Jose had with Doug Wilson. You said Chara, and that would be a great choice for a year or two until he retires, he brings name recognition and is a cup win. Maybe Jagr if he isn't busy winning the Art Ross :sarcasm:.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Been thinking about this, what type of captain would you guys see as the most beneficial to Las Vegas?

Do they go down the Landeskog route and get a really young guy that will be around for ages?

Do they get a veteran who leads by example like Chara.

Do they get a tenacity guy like Parise?

Not those guys exactly, but those type?

Personally, I think we get a young character guy, and stick with them like Avs have done with Landeskog.

Thought's ?

Also, if the club could somehow make him available thos coming season, to take part in player discussion and the build, even better.

Hossa.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
It all depends, but if we grab a potential future HOF'er who's best days are behind him I'd be for that, like what San Jose had with Doug Wilson. You said Chara, and that would be a great choice for a year or two until he retires, he brings name recognition and is a cup win. Maybe Jagr if he isn't busy winning the Art Ross :sarcasm:.

I seriously see Hossa in Vegas.

The Hawks could use the cap space, he can be exposed, for a team on a budget looking to hit the cap floor Hossa is idea given his actual salary will only be 1 million but his cap hit will be 5.2 so that will help Vegas... Oh and the guy has been to 5 finals in the past 10 years so he is a "name player" not to mention he would be a great mentor to the young talent that will be in your system... He's done it all and is a future HOF'er that can still play to boot.

Hossa and Vegas make too much sense.

So I think Hossa will be Vegas' first captain.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The reality of Vegas hockey for the next three years is this: you've got players who are essentially the 22nd/23rd best players on a team's roster - mostly guys who have been healthy scratched somewhere between six to a dozen times a year.

Those aren't the kind of guys you end up giving the "C" to on a regular basis.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The reality of Vegas hockey for the next three years is this: you've got players who are essentially the 22nd/23rd best players on a team's roster - mostly guys who have been healthy scratched somewhere between six to a dozen times a year.

I think you're discounting the possibility of a trade or UFA signing. Get a good veteran guy near the end of his career, who might not play on the top lines but whose experience will work wonders for a new room. I bet there will be more than one solid captain candidate out there who will be intrigued about the opportunity to be the room leader for a new team, to lead from the front as it were, rather than try to shoehorn his way into an already-established roster.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

That's not how it's gonna work under this expansion draft. It's not like you get to protect 20 players. I really don't understand how you're figuring this...22cd 23rd. Yes the exempt players make it lower than the 12th best player...but look at any protection list and tell me that all the players are fringe NHLers. They're not.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Perhaps the Knights decide to trade some drafted players back to their teams for picks, and then sign some depth UFAs to guide the team in their first season.

Matt Hendricks would be a good candidate from the Oilers. Cheap, no cost to acquire, great PKer and team leader, maybe clears up some money to draft a high cap hit guy from an unbalanced team?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Perhaps the Knights decide to trade some drafted players back to their teams for picks, and then sign some depth UFAs to guide the team in their first season.

Matt Hendricks would be a good candidate from the Oilers. Cheap, no cost to acquire, great PKer and team leader, maybe clears up some money to draft a high cap hit guy from an unbalanced team?

Can't send them back to their original teams until after the first season on the ice, if I remember correctly. I'm not seeing that in the FAQ thread though, I'll have to double check.

I'm 95% sure if we draft a guy from the Penguins (for example) that guy can't go back to the Penguins until January of the following year.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Can't send them back to their original teams until after the first season on the ice, if I remember correctly. I'm not seeing that in the FAQ thread though, I'll have to double check.

I'm 95% sure if we draft a guy from the Penguins (for example) that guy can't go back to the Penguins until January of the following year.

Gotcha. Makes sense actually.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Huh? Doesn't each team protect up to 8 skaters, meaning the worst possible player would be their 9th best player, and even then, some players will be left open to take a huge cap hit away in a reducing cap market.

That's not taking into consideration players coming off rookie contracts that can't be protected on numbers alone.

Las Vegas have an opportunity to build a winner right off the bat. I don't want to lump pressure, but Vegas are on a very good wicket.

JA

This will depend on whether or not any former NHL captains or other obvious captaincy candidates join the Las Vegas roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad