Lars Eller Appreciation thread (the first of many for this season)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Too bad apparently he's worse than DD in Therrien's eyes.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Briere-Bournival

Honestly, it's better than DD being in there.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Too bad apparently he's worse than DD in Therrien's eyes.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Briere-Bournival

Honestly, it's better than DD being in there.

Um...no it's not. Replacing DD with Bournival is a downgrade not an upgrade.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Can he start playing like it?

It's one game. You claim not to hate Plekanec but every time you mention him it's immediately after a mediocre performance to use as "proof" how he's overrated.

I think Eller has more talent than Plekanec, but he still needs to show he can consistently handle the pressure of playing against the best players before proclaiming that Eller makes Plekanec useless.

It's time to give Eller more chances. It's also time to re-arrange the Plek and DD lines instead of proclaiming Plekanec is finished for creating no offense in one game.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Eller is so damn good. I wasn't a big fan of his before last year, but now... WOW! :yo:

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010

For this very moment fine, but DD should not be in the long term plans of this organization. Bournival absolutely should be. I'm willing to give DD some games to prove himself and frankly I hope he succeeds so we can use him to fill needs at the deadline while having his replacement there and ready to go. Bournival is in the Plekanec/Bergeron mold and being on the 3rd line isn't going to ruin him Imo.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Not so sure about that. If so, this may very well change by the end of the season.

And even then. Lets say Eller passes him. He proves he can handle the defensive minutes and still put up decent numbers. Okay. But now Briere is our #2 center? What? Where did pleks go in your reality? Lars Eller being appreciated suddenly makes him the only center on the team that needs to understand the defensive side of the game? We would get slaughtered at 5v5.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I liked the way they handled Eller's icetime last year. I think it's time to give him much more icetime and give Galchenyuk the Eller's of last year treatment at center.

I'd move Plekanec for Help on defense or size on the right wing.

Might be a step back early but it would help Eller and Galchenyuk getting ready to be a 1-2 punch in the middle as early as next year imo.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For this very moment fine, but DD should not be in the long term plans of this organization. Bournival absolutely should be. I'm willing to give DD some games to prove himself and frankly I hope he succeeds so we can use him to fill needs at the deadline while having his replacement there and ready to go. Bournival is in the Plekanec/Bergeron mold and being on the 3rd line isn't going to ruin him Imo.

With Eller and Galchenyuk coming I don't see DD in the plans long term, but replacing him with Bournival right now is just a bad idea. The best thing the Habs can do with DD is maximise his effeciveness by putting him in situations to succeed and when the time comes that the alternative is better, then you move him and get good assets back. Sitting him in the press box and watching Bournival will only kill his trade value, weaken the team and create a problem where it shouldn't exist.

Bournival had a good camp, but so did DD(I believe he had a point per game). He's only 21 and for his development, most of the year AHL is probably best, he didn't exactly dominate there last year. His sticking in the NHL was more to reward him for a good camp than what's best for his development.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With Eller and Galchenyuk coming I don't see DD in the plans long term, but replacing him with Bournival right now is just a bad idea. The best thing the Habs can do with DD is maximise his effeciveness by putting him in situations to succeed and when the time comes that the alternative is better, then you move him and get good assets back. Sitting him in the press box and watching Bournival will only kill his trade value, weaken the team and create a problem where it shouldn't exist.

Bournival had a good camp, but so did DD(I believe he had a point per game). He's only 21 and for his development, most of the year AHL is probably best, he didn't exactly dominate there last year. His sticking in the NHL was more to reward him for a good camp than what's best for his development.

I think we could flip DD to an offensively starved team like Nashville, Phoenix or Florida for good assets.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Great contributions from Eller last night. I've always liked his game and have enjoyed watching his progress.

And kudos to him for looking unfazed by the knockout last year.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Bournival is not replacing DD. DD as of right now, is being used as a FIRST LINER. You may argue that he's not because of ice-time and blabla.. Still, he's still getting used as a 1st center (ice-time, PPs, linemates).

So it's not Bournival that is taking DD spot, it's Plekanec, our best center, that will pla y on the first line, Eller will be our 2nd center. Galchenyuk can finally play on his natural position on the third line.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Hasn't that time already come? People can claim it's only been 1 game but that's simply not true. It was pretty much all of last season as well. So we are talking 40+ games now of Eller being better than Desharnais. If we want to keep Desharnais around as 3rd line center in a sheltered role that's fine but we have to break up MaxPac/DD. The sooner the better.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I like to take back what I said about Eller. I made a trade proposal thread eller+white+leblanc for stepan+mcirath. Eller was a beast last night.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
And even then. Lets say Eller passes him. He proves he can handle the defensive minutes and still put up decent numbers. Okay. But now Briere is our #2 center? What? Where did pleks go in your reality? Lars Eller being appreciated suddenly makes him the only center on the team that needs to understand the defensive side of the game? We would get slaughtered at 5v5.

I've always like Pleks, but I'm just pointing out the obvious: Desharnais, Eller, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Briere, White, Bournival (to a lesser extent). They're all natural centers and eventually (not saying now) a decision will have to be made. My little line-up has one 2-way center, 2 offensive, 1 defensive. I think that's decent. Not ideal, but decent. The fact that we have no blue-chip right handed center prospect is a big problem IMO. A reason why I think it's worth it to see if McCarron could make the move.

What do you propose?

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Analyzing his game last night, I find it pretty hard to not get too excited about this guy.

He pots 2 goals.
He blocked 2 shots.
He got 2 hits.
He took 5 shots.
He was buzzing around the net. Almost did whatever he pleased.
He burned the defense in scoring a near short-handed goal.
He won half his faceoffs.
He looks bigger.
He had less hesitation.
Nobody could keep up with him.

If he can keep his confidence up, 60-70 points isn't out of the realm of possibility. He was Messi-like out there last night.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Briere
Bourque-Desharnais-Gionta
Moen-White-Prust

Knock DD down a peg. Make him earn his ice time.

Last edited:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013

Not it isn't, It would, hopefully, let the EGG line have more ice time and let Plecky have better wingers thus making us a better team. And yesterday DD was more of a liability than anything else, I'm pretty sure Bournival would not have done worse.

Pacman-Plecky-Brière
Galchy-Eller-Gally
Bourque-Bournival-Gionta

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I've always like Pleks, but I'm just pointing out the obvious: Desharnais, Eller, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Briere, White, Bournival (to a lesser extent). They're all natural centers and eventually (not saying now) a decision will have to be made. My little line-up has one 2-way center, 2 offensive, 1 defensive. I think that's decent. Not ideal, but decent. The fact that we have no blue-chip right handed center prospect is a big problem IMO. A reason why I think it's worth it to see if McCarron could make the move.

What do you propose?

The idea that once you have a two-way center that you are better off with an purely offensive center instead of another two-way center is completly wrong. Being a two-way player doesn't mean you are not as offensively gifted as a purely offensive player. If you gave Plekanec Desharnais's role/linemates he would put up more points than Desharnais. The two-way label is in addition to being an offensive player.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
FYI, we just lost the game guys. Nothing is less constructive than community jerk off. He played good, does everyone has to say it in another way?

Why do you care enough to make a post like this? If this thread isn't entertaining to you, you don't have to read it or post here.

Also speaking of constructiveness, how is your post in anyway constructive? :help:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's one game. You claim not to hate Plekanec but every time you mention him it's immediately after a mediocre performance to use as "proof" how he's overrated.

I think Eller has more talent than Plekanec, but he still needs to show he can consistently handle the pressure of playing against the best players before proclaiming that Eller makes Plekanec useless.

It's time to give Eller more chances. It's also time to re-arrange the Plek and DD lines instead of proclaiming Plekanec is finished for creating no offense in one game.

It's not one game though...it was the entire series vs the Sens last year, it was also pretty much the 2nd half of last year, and the 2nd half of the year prior as well (though that was the season we finished last and he was stuck playing many games with Blunden/Moen/Darche)

Also, i've never said that Eller makes or will make Plekanec useless...Plekanec is a very useful player.

But he can play MUCH better than he has recently...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think we could flip DD to an offensively starved team like Nashville, Phoenix or Florida for good assets.

Would any team want to take on a 4-year commitment with a one-dimensional player like DD? Briere was had for 2 years at a comparable salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad