Lars Eller Appreciation thread (the first of many for this season)

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Hey, would you guys recommend dumping one of Stephen Weiss or Derek Roy in my keeper league to pick up Eller? Seemed pretty beastly tonight, I just want to know what his opportunity to move up the depth chart/get good PP time is like.

Thanks in advance!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He probably won't look this good every night.

But he's good. And needs more ice time.

If he keeps playing against 3rd liners, then yes, he will keep looking great.
That what made me laugh about the people having doubts in camp, all these so called analysts that are so busy half-assing their work that they can't even understand Eller's line "struggled" because they were used as top liners.

Those three will keep looking like our best line so long as they're used as our 3rd line.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Right now, clearly the best centre on the team AINEC!

He has the physical play and the defensive awareness that hopefully Galchenyuk will eventually develop.

Only if MT can see that and play the damn Dane 22 minutes a game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
That one shift in the first period where he played with Parros and Moen.....

...I almost had an orgasm.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Hey, would you guys recommend dumping one of Stephen Weiss or Derek Roy in my keeper league to pick up Eller? Seemed pretty beastly tonight, I just want to know what his opportunity to move up the depth chart/get good PP time is like.

Thanks in advance!

I've been tempted to make room for Eller in my own, but unfortunately, he would have to consistently put up 3 PPG to get regular PP time right now, so I don't think he will get the minutes to be a consistent fantasy player.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Thanks in advance!

I would say that unless Eller is getting PP time, don't pick him up. While I think he could hit 50 points, I don't think he can do it without PP time. Expecting 45-50 ES points is unreasonable.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
I've been tempted to make room for Eller in my own, but unfortunately, he would have to consistently put up 3 PPG to get regular PP time right now, so I don't think he will get the minutes to be a consistent fantasy player.

I'll hold off then, thanks for the advice. I really do hope I'm not kicking myself for holding onto a 40ish point Weiss while Eller scores 60!

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
Eller was a beast tonight, and the EGG line was the best line we had all game. Give them some more ice time MT!

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx

You guys honestly think that half way through the season, MT won't be forced to give him PP time. I understand last year but I can't see how you guys think he won't force his way onto the PP. I mean he had 2 primary points tonight. They weren't a fluke.

He will be on the first wave by the end of the year. He is way more refined than Galchenyuk. Eller is gonna have a major break out season. He will actually help carry Galchenyuk and help him not have a sophomore jinx.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'll hold off then, thanks for the advice. I really do hope I'm not kicking myself for holding onto a 40ish point Weiss while Eller scores 60!

Well, I think Weiss is a great fit in Detroit and I'm actually tempted to pick him up myself in my one league where he's free. I hope Eller does become a productive fantasy player this year, but it just won't happen if he's used like he was today. Getting over or even at that 50 point mark without PP time is just too much.

You guys honestly think that half way through the season, MT won't be forced to give him PP time. I understand last year but I can't see how you guys think he won't force his way onto the PP. I mean he had 2 primary points tonight. They weren't a fluke.

He will be on the first wave by the end of the year. He is way more refined than Galchenyuk. Eller is gonna have a major break out season. He will actually help carry Galchenyuk and help him not have a sophomore jinx.

I hope Eller and Galchenyuk do force their way there, but Desharnais, Briere and Plekanec will play better than they did today and Therrien is extremely conservative in his ways. I have nothing but belief in Eller, but he's not quite good enough to consistently dominate without power play time.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I hope Eller and Galchenyuk do force their way there, but Desharnais, Briere and Plekanec will play better than they did today and Therrien is extremely conservative in his ways. I have nothing but belief in Eller, but he's not quite good enough to consistently dominate without power play time.

I agree that DD, Briere and Pleks will all play better but they don't work as a trio. You never see DD and Pleks on the PP together. DD and Briere shouldn't be on the PP together even though we will for a while.

I don't know, we are gonna be lost or confused for a while, I know that. One thing I know is that Eller is going to produce so consistently 5 on 5, that he will be forced to be given PP time even if its on the wing or point and well, he will just accel and I'm a not Eller believer.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's great. I love him. But we need to see him vs top opposition lines more.

Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's 1st goal:

81 Phil Kessel
42 Tyler Bozak

Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's assist:

81 Phil Kessel
42 Tyler Bozak
21 James Van Reimdyk

Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's 2nd goal:

43 Nazem Kadri
19 Joffrey Lupul
12 Mason Raymond

Pretty sure those are their top 2 lines.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's 1st goal:

81 Phil Kessel
42 Tyler Bozak

Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's assist:

81 Phil Kessel
42 Tyler Bozak
21 James Van Reimdyk

Leafs forwards on the ice for Eller's 2nd goal:

43 Nazem Kadri
19 Joffrey Lupul
12 Mason Raymond

Pretty sure those are their top 2 lines.

I'm not saying he isn't playing vs top lines. I'm saying he needs more time against them. He had plenty tonight for sure. But I'd like to see Lars face top lines more often. That's the only way we'll see if he's truly worth taking a first or second line job.

Eventually, he'll be tested against them. More and more so if he keeps up this pace.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Such lars.
Such Dane.
Such Eller.
Such l'amour de ma vie.
Such good.
Such bulk.
Such slow because of bulk.
Such l'antichambre dumbasses.
Such Southern_habs crying in his basement.
Such me, Overlords and Et le but being happy in our basements.

68*

There was a shift I remember where Eller was completely dominating and you could see the desperation on Phaneuf's face, he gave up trying to defend him so he just decided to sit on him until he cools down a bit.

Mon amour.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Eller scored a SH goal! Habs didn't score one all last season! Now Pleks just needs to be allowed to play as he did under Martin and the Habs PK will be a lot better (that, and put Subban on it).

Oh, and on Eller's second goal, he was able to outpace Jake Gardiner, a guy known for his skating ability. Sure, Gardiner was a bit flat-footed, but not completely. He was already facing the right direction by the time Eller retrieved the puck so he was already moving his feet once Eller really got going. Pretty impressive.

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
We are going to have an interesting situation at C. I think Galchenyuk will follow a similar path as Lars this season. The trouble is that we have too many left-hand centers. Perhaps moving Briere back to his natural position would help:

Eller
Briere
Galchenyuk
White

That gives us a good balance of size, skill, grit and ambidexterity. I don't know what we'd do with Pleks and Desharnais though.

But I'm getting ahead of myself and going off on a tangent. Lars is becoming a Jonathan Toews light. Best comparison I can make.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
We are going to have an interesting situation at C. I think Galchenyuk will follow a similar path as Lars this season. The trouble is that we have too many left-hand centers. Perhaps moving Briere back to his natural position would help:

Eller
Briere
Galchenyuk
White

That gives us a good balance of size, skill, grit and ambidexterity. I don't know what we'd do with Pleks and Desharnais though.

Pleks is our best centre. So...uh.. you play him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad