Lars Eller Appreciation thread (the first of many for this season)

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Maybe he just sucks and overachieved. Perhaps just another expendable piece. Gallagher is look pretty bad too (9 points in last 28 games), looking no better than Briere. Bournival has been invisible too, turning into Pyatt. Was nice thinking we might have had a solid core pieces while it lasted. Even Galchenyuk was looking lost before his injury.

Interesting set of coincidences, all the youngsters suddenly spinning downwards at the same time.

I don't want Therrien off this team because he gives Desharnais the primary offensive role down the middle, or that he loves Bouillon too much and plays him too much, or that he won't put Pleks with a good winger; it's because I don't think he is the right guy for the young guns long term. If he feels like he'll have to fight to keep his job, then he won't think twice about throwing the youngsters under the bus. That's just how it is, and I think the success Montreal had last year (standings-wise) was a curse because it set a certain level of expectations the coach feels he has to match.

And no, I'm not excusing Therrien.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This guy needs to spend a day or two in the press box. Horrible underachiever the last few months, he's turning into Bourque.

90% of this team is underachieving... I guess they're all underachievers and MB should find 20 new players that'll hopefully buy into his coach's system?

Or maybe he can find a new coach that can get the most out of the horrible underachievers.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
It is ridicilous to complain about Ellers production since he is sacrificed before anyone else. EGG was godly, but they hit aika roadbump and MB's and MT's pet DD was not producing so what the hell let's break them up. And even after that let's move Chucky to Plecs wing and let Eller deal with Bourque, Briere and Prust.

I like Eller and see him as a future replacement for Plecs as an all a round C (2nd line, PP, PK you name it) he might not be putting up 80+ points but with better use of him 60+ for sure.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It is ridicilous to complain about Ellers production since he is sacrificed before anyone else. EGG was godly, but they hit aika roadbump and MB's and MT's pet DD was not producing so what the hell let's break them up. And even after that let's move Chucky to Plecs wing and let Eller deal with Bourque, Briere and Prust.

I like Eller and see him as a future replacement for Plecs as an all a round C (2nd line, PP, PK you name it) he might not be putting up 80+ points but with better use of him 60+ for sure.

Eller is one of the "Core Group" for the future of the Habs, anyone that can't see his worth as a center here, should re-evaluate their future, it may not be in hockey!:sarcasm:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Eller is one of the "Core Group" for the future of the Habs, anyone that can't see his worth as a center here, should re-evaluate their future, it may not be in hockey!:sarcasm:
Eller is exactly what we need, and we have him, I don't think he is being used wisely at all.....he needs to be put back at the C position, and given more ice time, because when he gets it, he produces...we need to get bigger, and when he is on the ice, we do...

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal

I like Eller and I like what he brings, but I doubt he will ever reach 60 points. He doesn't have a good enough vision and isn't a good passer enough.

But of course, if Galchenyuk stays on his wing and he turns out to be a 90 points Producer, Eller could become a 60 points guy by default. But if Galchenyuk does that, he won't stay on the wing.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like Eller and I like what he brings, but I doubt he will ever reach 60 points. He doesn't have a good enough vision and isn't a good passer enough.

But of course, if Galchenyuk stays on his wing and he turns out to be a 90 points Producer, Eller could become a 60 points guy by default. But if Galchenyuk does that, he won't stay on the wing.

Reaching 60 points with almost no PP time is extremely difficult, even with better wingers than this team has. Even Plekanec, who is having a relatively good season, is only going to get around 50 points this year considering how he's being used.

I still think Eller can become a ~50 points guy, which would be great considering what his role is.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Maybe he just sucks and overachieved. Perhaps just another expendable piece. Gallagher is look pretty bad too (9 points in last 28 games), looking no better than Briere. Bournival has been invisible too, turning into Pyatt. Was nice thinking we might have had a solid core pieces while it lasted. Even Galchenyuk was looking lost before his injury.

When all the youngsters start having trouble at the same exact time, it tells way more about the coach than the young guys. It's ridiculous at this point, none of them is progressing. It's been this way for what, 1.5-2 months now? If Therrien isn't gone soon, he really need to change his approach with them (and with to whole team anyway...). But hey, he still puts the 4th line out there after we just got scored on despite that this already cost us a goal right after the initial one at least two times. I don't expect him to change the way he deals with this team anytime soon, sadly.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
When all the youngsters start having trouble at the same exact time, it tells way more about the coach than the young guys. It's ridiculous at this point, none of them is progressing. It's been this way for what, 1.5-2 months now? If Therrien isn't gone soon, he really need to change his approach with them (and with to whole team anyway...). But hey, he still puts the 4th line out there after we just got scored on despite that this already cost us a goal right after the initial one at least two times. I don't expect him to change the way he deals with this team anytime soon, sadly.

This.

Guys like Eller and Gallagher aren't superstars in the making, but when every single player on the team regresses at the same time (including Subban), it says a lot less about them than it does about the coaches. Especially when said coach has a track record of this happening.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Reaching 60 points with almost no PP time is extremely difficult, even with better wingers than this team has. Even Plekanec, who is having a relatively good season, is only going to get around 50 points this year considering how he's being used.

I still think Eller can become a ~50 points guy, which would be great considering what his role is.

Yeah, I think you would be hard pressed to even find one example of it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
EGG line. Needs to reunite them and STICK with it. Then we,ll have a clearer picture. In Young guys cases, it's a lot about confidence. I have no idea why people don't see that. Yet, you don't need to jump and put them in tougher circumstances. Patience and confidence. OH and better players surrounding those kids....much better players.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
EGG line. Needs to reunite them and STICK with it. Then we,ll have a clearer picture. In Young guys cases, it's a lot about confidence. I have no idea why people don't see that. Yet, you don't need to jump and put them in tougher circumstances. Patience and confidence. OH and better players surrounding those kids....much better players.

I've honestly stopped evaluating anybody on the habs for the past month or so. They've checked out on their coach, and it's pretty obvious, imo. I'll get excited again once boucher comes in.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I've honestly stopped evaluating anybody on the habs for the past month or so. They've checked out on their coach, and it's pretty obvious, imo. I'll get excited again once boucher comes in.

That's about it too. I totally agree with Bergevin...you cannot change your coach every 2 years. But that doesn't mean that if you find out the guy isn't good, that you'll keep him just for the pleasure of not changing it. What you do is that you see Boucher...make an extensive interview, find out what didin't work out in TBay and then, satisfied with his answers, hire him for 5 years. You make a statement to the players that this guy STAYS. And that now, it's their turn.....and Bergevin's turn.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad