Lars Eller Appreciation thread (the first of many for this season)

onemorecup*

None of what Lars does is a surprise. He just needs to bring it on a more consistant basis. Two years ago he could be the best player on the ice one night and the worst the next, last year he started being a more consistant contributor, hopefully he can keep if going forward this year.

He has all the tools to be at least a low end #1 center/high end #2. 55-65 points a year.

if given the proper ice time

RuggieriHabs76

Sep 13, 2013
Lars looked great last night, his two way game and skill has always been there, lets just hope he can keep doing it on a consistent basis. He's playing appropriate minutes and is in a better situation playing with "the kids" (Gallagher,Galchenyuk). Cheers to Lars Eller on his great performance last night

King Niinimaa*

The easiest way to promote Eller would be giving 2nd line minutes for the kids :nod:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Lars looked great last night, his two way game and skill has always been there, lets just hope he can keep doing it on a consistent basis. He's playing appropriate minutes and is in a better situation playing with "the kids" (Gallagher,Galchenyuk). Cheers to Lars Eller on his great performance last night

Hes playing less than appropriate minutes. He needs more.

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal

Good first post there buddy:)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I wasn't specifically talking about 1 game...but keep ignoring that

anyways...this thread isn't about Plekanec, it's about Eller

Here's hoping he starts getting more responsibility

Says the guy who brought up Plekanec being worse than Eller :shakehead :facepalm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Says the guy who brought up Plekanec being worse than Eller :shakehead :facepalm:

Can you show me where I said that Plekanec is worse than Eller?

All i've said is that Plekanec needs to play much, much better...and i'm not just talking about this 1 game

Going back to last year...Plekanec has 2 goals in the last 20 games,

He's our #1 center...that's just not enough

couris

Dec 28, 2005

He was much better last season when plekanec decided to disappear at the end of the season. Eller injured=Habs total collapse like we saw last season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can you show me where I said that Plekanec is worse than Eller?

All i've said is that Plekanec needs to play much, much better...and i'm not just talking about this 1 game

Going back to last year...Plekanec has 2 goals in the last 20 games,

He's our #1 center...that's just not enough

He was much better last season when plekanec decided to disappear at the end of the season. Eller injured=Habs total collapse like we saw last season.

Eller was indeed a better ''offensive'' player than Pleky for that short stint, but that is not a way to put down Plekanec. You know, top 15 first rounders with talent like Eller sometime break out... It seems like Eller had his break out season there and he was a better offensive player than Plekan? Eller is entering his prime, Plekanec is getting out of it, it's the natural cycle of sports and life. Every summer there's new leaves in the trees... We should be happy to have 2 (5?) Top 6 center on our team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eller was indeed a better ''offensive'' player than Pleky for that short stint, but that is not a way to put down Plekanec. You know, top 15 first rounders with talent like Eller sometime break out... It seems like Eller had his break out season there and he was a better offensive player than Plekan? Eller is entering his prime, Plekanec is getting out of it, it's the natural cycle of sports and life. Every summer there's new leaves in the trees... We should be happy to have 2 (5?) Top 6 center on our team.

This team would be so much better if BOTH Plekanec and Eller were at the top of their game.

Right now, and pretty much since the midway point of last year...Lars Eller has stepped his game up, the same can't be said for Plekanec. It doesn't mean he's been awful, but he can be much better.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This team would be so much better if BOTH Plekanec and Eller were at the top of their game.

Right now, and pretty much since the midway point of last year...Lars Eller has stepped his game up, the same can't be said for Plekanec. It doesn't mean he's been awful, but he can be much better.

Wait, what do expect out of him ? He's playing with Bourque(Who did great last season, tbh.) and Gionta... He never gets prime offensive opportunities and he gets to play against the Crosby and Ovi of this world... Do you still expect a 70 points production out of him ?

Besides, Plekanec was always a strong contributor in the early stage of the season... He just happens to wear out after the second half... Weird isn't it ?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wait, what do expect out of him ? He's playing with Bourque(Who did great last season, tbh.) and Gionta... He never gets prime offensive opportunities and he gets to play against the Crosby and Ovi of this world... Do you still expect a 70 points production out of him ?

Besides, Plekanec was always a strong contributor in the early stage of the season... He just happens to wear out after the second half... Weird isn't it ?

That's simply not true...Plekanec is on every PP opporunity and plays nearly 20 mins a game. Only Gionta played more PP mins last year IIRC

And it's not necessarily point production that i'm speaking of, points are often circumstancial and given Plekanec's role on the team, no, I don't expect him to put up 70+ points

But I would like him to be more involved in games and not just do enough not to get noticed.

It's not about production, it's about performance...i've become accustomed to much more from him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
That's simply not true...Plekanec is on every PP opporunity and plays nearly 20 mins a game. Only Gionta played more PP mins last year IIRC

I don't know for sure but I suspect Plekanec's PP time went down by the end of the season. Our second wave was poor in general, and while Plek deserves some of the blame for that, his PPP per minute was still higher than most of the other forwards getting regular power play time, which says less about Plekanec and more about Therrien's refusal to use Eller and Galchenyuk more.

Our second PP wave is always going to struggle if Boullion-Diaz is the best we can put out there.

And in the first game of the season, Plekanec (and Bourque and Gionta) got a whole 20 seconds more PP time than Eller and the Gallys.

We need more from Plekanec, but he's not an elite player and won't overcome how the coach uses him.

Actually that's one thing exciting about Eller, he can afford to make more mistakes than Plek or Desharnais because he can create out of nothing with his strength, while Plek relies on good defensive plays and speed.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

And it's not necessarily point production that i'm speaking of, points are often circumstancial and given Plekanec's role on the team, no, I don't expect him to put up 70+ points

But I would like him to be more involved in games and not just do enough not to get noticed.

It's not about production, it's about performance...i've become accustomed to much more from him.

Now THAT'S simply not true.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know for sure but I suspect Plekanec's PP time went down by the end of the season. Our second wave was poor in general, and while Plek deserves some of the blame for that, his PPP per minute was still higher than most of the other forwards getting regular power play time, which says less about Plekanec and more about Therrien's refusal to use Eller and Galchenyuk more.

Our second PP wave is always going to struggle if Boullion-Diaz is the best we can put out there.

And in the first game of the season, Plekanec (and Bourque and Gionta) got a whole 20 seconds more PP time than Eller and the Gallys.

We need more from Plekanec, but he's not an elite player and won't overcome how the coach uses him.

Actually that's one thing exciting about Eller, he can afford to make more mistakes than Plek or Desharnais because he can create out of nothing with his strength, while Plek relies on good defensive plays and speed.

Agreed...I just wonder how long the coaching staff is going to keep the shackles on Eller?

Eller is unique amongst the Habs centers, he's the only one who brings size, skills, speed, strength and playmaking ability

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I still remember when people doubted eller after tge halak trade, and some even doubted him last year.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I've been very disappointed with DD since he signed his deal, and if the first game was any indication, he isn't getting any better. He's getting pushed off the puck way too easily, and his determination and drive had dropped off since the new contract imo.

If Eller can continue what he has started, you have to take a look at him with briere and Pacioretty. That being said, I dont know what we do with DD if he is not playing in his current role, but we can worry about that later.

I'd hate to break up the Egg line, but DD's play may force that upon the habs. With the way our defense is looking, and the need for Price to make adjustments, there really isn't much time for the habs to wait for DD. From what I saw, he was a detriment on that line, and he really needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've been very disappointed with DD since he signed his deal, and if the first game was any indication, he isn't getting any better. He's getting pushed off the puck way too easily, and his determination and drive had dropped off since the new contract imo.

If Eller can continue what he has started, you have to take a look at him with briere and Pacioretty. That being said, I dont know what we do with DD if he is not playing in his current role, but we can worry about that later.

I'd hate to break up the Egg line, but DD's play may force that upon the habs. With the way our defense is looking, and the need for Price to make adjustments, there really isn't much time for the habs to wait for DD. From what I saw, he was a detriment on that line, and he really needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Might be a good thing. We need more finish on the Plekanec line and more size on the DD line. It would really help Plekanec produce if he had someone instead of Gio on his wing.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Eller: 35 points in last 44 regular season games.
Galchenyuk: 16 points in last 15 regular season games.

It's hard keeping my hopes down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad