Confirmed with Link: Landeskog is BACK

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Byram develops into his full potential, we won’t be able to keep him regardless. He could be almost as good as Makar. Either way he will fetch a boatload in a trade
Byram can get bridged. He won't put up huge numbers due to lack of PP time with Makar running PP1.

If anyone gets moved for cap reasons if Byram needs a big raise in 2023 it will be Toews 1 year from UFA just like what happened with Barrie.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sleeping on it, I think the Avs bent a bit here to keep their culture setter. That Sakic statement calling him the ‘heart and soul’ of the team is pretty telling imo.

Gabe is a really good hockey player, but looking at the winger deals from the players who stayed with their original team it seems like Landy got a little bump not having to sacrifice much on AAV, term, or the no-move clause. Even a guy like Barrie on defence is reportedly sacrificing on term after a career season.

Ultimately, I think this decision went beyond his numbers, which are still very good. Maybe I under-appreciate Gabe Landeskog the player, but his play in the Vegas series left me disappointed. It’s not indicative of who he is as a player, but I just hope it was an aberration.

I don’t see it as a bad contract by any means. Shit, it makes the Ovechkin contract look bad in comparison and I think Landy could’ve gotten an extra mil on the open market too. I was just expecting 8 X $6.5M, but if he helps lead the team to the cup who cares. The Avs obviously feel that everything he brings to the organization is worth it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Forsberg and Foote left because of the introduced salary cap.. There was just not enough money for all of our superstars....... Otherwise those 2 wouldn´t have left the Avs, nor would Lacroix let them go.

Regarding O´Reilly: We kept the wrong player with Duchene..
Dutch worked out for the Avalanche in the end. ;)

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I can't find my message but a week ago I said: "Landeskog asks 9, Avs offer 5, meet at 7 easy peezy"

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Honestly this is what taking a discount looks like he could have got 7 x 9.5 from someone

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
We have 12M for Grubauer, Jost, Saad replacement and Donskoi replacement. Looks kinda tight.
I think the key is to replace fill 3/4 of these roles now so we can then get someone at the deadline to help. We’re going to take a step back for the regular season but if we do a better job at the trade deadline we can improve then.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
My favorite part of the Landeskog deal is how salty other fanbases are about it. 'Good luck with that contract Avs fans' as if they weren't just publicly hoping their team would throw 8x9.5 at him :laugh:

Everyone here keeps talking about how hard life is going to be when MacKinnon is on his next contract as if we haven't been living in it for almost the last two years essentially getting zero value out of EJ's contract.

I'll admit we'll probably need to bridge any of the prospects that take off, looking at Byram/Newhook, to get them to the cap finally going up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Everyone is always afraid of term and being stuck with a bad contract but it also can't be stated enough that teams are always able to offload contracts for more cap space if needed. There's always a rebuilding team willing to take a bad contract. Just this year Seabrook, Stralman, Johnson, and even Fleury were able to be offloaded.

Sakic was able to get the aav down to a reasonable number in which he will have the flexibility to build a contender for the next x amount of years. I'm not worried about the later years in this contract at all, a lot can change.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Ok that's fair and I think you are right... Mack at 6.3M + EJs expiring 6M is 12.3M and ya that's probably about what you sign Mack for...

But then here's the thing. Byram and Newhook are both RFAs that summer as well. Where is the cap coming from to sign them?

Especially in Newhooks case where, in order for us to still be a contender he will almost certainly have to be a pretty high end 2nd line Center for that window to stay open. So where does the ~5-6M for him come from?

EJ needs to be replaced with a human. Even if you count on Helleson taking that spot, his ELC is still $925K. The cap is a death of 1000 paper cuts, and every million counts. Just look at how the next season is damaged by bonus based overages.

The only relief I can imagine is that too many teams find themselves in the same position, and the league and union increase the cap dramatically. I can't imagine that would make small market teams too happy, though.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Everyone is always afraid of term and being stuck with a bad contract but it also can't be stated enough that teams are always able to offload contracts for more cap space if needed. There's always a rebuilding team willing to take a bad contract. Just this year Seabrook, Stralman, Johnson, and even Fleury were able to be offloaded.

Sakic was able to get the aav down to a reasonable number in which he will have the flexibility to build a contender for the next x amount of years. I'm not worried about the later years in this contract at all, a lot can change.

Yeah. Sakic's plan is transparent with only the first 4 years covered by full NMC. He believes that's when he might have to move Landy to make cap space. Better save your 1st that year, might need it to go with him.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

Could you point Sakic ( and me) at those teams, so that the contracts for EJ and JTC can be moved. Furthermore, the only onerous contracts which have moved have had some fairly significant assets attached. I simply do not buy into the premise that a $7M AVV contract for a third line wing ( talking 5 years down the line) will be easy to move.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Trade Compher for an extra 3.5

This concept brings us to the next area where we can all bitch - Sakic's success rate. One of the following things is true:

1) It is a whole lot harder to move contracts than many here recognize, and that JTC contract has been difficult to move - even at a price of $0
or
2) Sakic is blind to the inability of JTC to live up to the contract.

To date, most of Sakic's success has been at the expense of other teams' quandaries: Do teams really want to keep moving with streaky players like Donskoi and Burkie? Do teams have cap space for players like Saad and Toews? Sakic didn't really 'win' those deals as there wasn't really a contest. I give him credit for identifying those weaknesses and spending little. That said, one need only look at the various threads from 2,4,8 and 12 months ago to see all the bitching about Sakic not addressing 2C, 3C and 1/2G. He still hasn't and has now loaded $23M on the first line, while losing a decent 2LW in Saad.

I am happy Landy will likely spend his whole career as an Av. At the same time, that $7M is valuable, and not to 'replace' Landy. That $7M would have gone a long way to balancing the team with quality 2C and 3 C ( moving Jost to 4C.) It would have helped negotiate the rapids of Mac's new contract. Remember all those clever acquisitions I mentioned earlier? Donskoi is gone. Saad is gone. Myriad posters have agreed that Toews is going to need to go prior to his contract expiring. It might just be that Burkie needs to go in order to accommodate Mac's contract.

The Landy contract gives us a good 1LW for a while. But Sakic has merely kicked the can down the road for 4 years. I don't see how he makes the 2nd line materially better with his current budget. I pray that he has a strategy to get Danault here - and that oh so easy to move JTC contract is going to have to be part of the strategy.

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It's a good deal. Two weeks ago most people were expecting $8x8, so definitely satisfied that it got done for $7x8.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's a good price in the end. We can live with seven. Other team would have thrown 9+mil imo.

It's massive for us. We would have lost key part of the team for nothing. Happily he stayed.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
This concept brings us to the next area where we can all bitch - Sakic's success rate. One of the following things is true:

1) It is a whole lot harder to move contracts than many here recognize, and that JTC contract has been difficult to move - even at a price of $0
or
2) Sakic is blind to the inability of JTC to live up to the contract.

To date, most of Sakic's success has been at the expense of other teams' quandaries: Do teams really want to keep moving with streaky players like Donskoi and Burkie? Do teams have cap space for players like Saad and Toews? Sakic didn't really 'win' those deals as there wasn't really a contest. I give him credit for identifying those weaknesses and spending little. That said, one need only look at the various threads from 2,4,8 and 12 months ago to see all the bitching about Sakic not addressing 2C, 3C and 1/2G. He still hasn't and has now loaded $23M on the first line, while losing a decent 2LW in Saad.

I am happy Landy will likely spend his whole career as an Av. At the same time, that $7M is valuable, and not to 'replace' Landy. That $7M would have gone a long way to balancing the team with quality 2C and 3 C ( moving Jost to 4C.) It would have helped negotiate the rapids of Mac's new contract. Remember all those clever acquisitions I mentioned earlier? Donskoi is gone. Saad is gone. Myriad posters have agreed that Toews is going to need to go prior to his contract expiring. It might just be that Burkie needs to go in order to accommodate Mac's contract.

The Landy contract gives us a good 1LW for a while. But Sakic has merely kicked the can down the road for 4 years. I don't see how he makes the 2nd line materially better with his current budget. I pray that he has a strategy to get Danault here - and that oh so easy to move JTC contract is going to have to be part of the strategy.

I would sign Saad, JTC would need to be traded though, but that can be done later on.

When I see what Danault could get in Vegas, Avs won’t be able to sign him, with or without Compher. If he signs for 5,5 that would be a good option.

But this year, with Kadri and Bura contracts ending, this is the time to get your next top6 forward at the trade deadline if we have some cap,available. Use the 9M freed there to target a UFA, and sign him immediately to something like 6-7M.

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Super psyched to have him back. Losing him for nothing would have been devastating. I'm glad he got his term, I don't particularly care about the last couple of years of the deal at this point, so many things can change before then. I want him to retire an Av and this feels like it will get him there. The AAV is fair too. I know some posters roll their eyes and sigh when "intangibles" are mentioned, but this dude full of them. He is the culture-glue of the team, losing him would have left more than a talent vacuum in our top 6 and some of the posts around here about letting him walk or low-balling him seemed to miss that aspect. There's a reason he was the most highly sought after player on the open market.

Welcome back, Gabe. We need you, now let's win a cup.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
When people talk about 7×8 being too much, you’re talking about realistic projected player value. That makes sense from the perspective of a fan and a team. But if the player is a UFA, their value is set by the stupidity of other GMs and the supply or lack of supply of alternatives. In this case Blake Coleman he’s going to get five or 6 million and there is no one on the market who can replace what Landeskog brings. You have to suck it up and pay your core guys, And find better value on your depth than we were getting from JT Compher, or in the playoffs from Donskoi as well. Thats why Coleman and Goodrow were worth so much to Tampa, they were cheap for 2 years on the 3rd line

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad