Confirmed with Link: Landeskog is BACK

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Don't know if it's been discussed already or not, but suppose in training camp, the year after Landy realizes age is catching up to him, it's discovered that he's developed an allergy to his equipment and he's forced to retire due to medical reasons. He still get's paid right? But that also clears his cap-hit, right? Just asking for my friend, Josh.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
If EJ is re-signed it's going to be on cheap, possibly one year at a time deals until he retires.

There wont be another contract for EJ after this one. I really like EJ and his loyalty to this team, but i really doubt he even plays out his current contract.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You can't win a staring contest when you look at the captains glorious gaze.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I was almost sure they were parting ways. Too many bad memories of some of my favorite players leaving due to contract negotiations, salary cap and other money issues (RoR, Stastny, Drury, Forsberg, Foote). Gabe is one of my favorite players on the team. He plays a tough game, has a good public persona and I believe he has been important for the team's recent success in many ways so I am happy with the deal. Welcome back Landy.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The last years could suck just like with EJ, hopefully the cap goes up a decent amount so its not so bad. If the buyout calculator is correct this is a very movable contract if Landy regresses hard.

7M is a fair number. There was nobody on the market who could replace Landy and the team would have been much worse without him. Great to keep the captain.

Last edited:

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Hate the term. The last years could suck just like with EJ, hopefully the cap goes up a decent amount so its not so bad. If the buyout calculator is correct this is a very movable contract if Landy regresses hard.

7M is a fair number. There was nobody on the market who could replace Landy and the team would have been much worse without him. Great to keep the captain.

I was especially worried when I saw that Landy replacement would be Schwartz.

I was hoping for 5 years at $7,5M so at least the AAV is lower than expected. Fair deal.

Now I’m worried how Sakic can improve the team.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Too many bad memories of some of my favorite players leaving due to contract negotiations, salary cap and other money issues (RoR, Stastny, Drury, Forsberg, Foote).

Forsberg and Foote left because of the introduced salary cap.. There was just not enough money for all of our superstars....... Otherwise those 2 wouldn´t have left the Avs, nor would Lacroix let them go.

Regarding O´Reilly: We kept the wrong player with Duchene.

Drury: Never understood that deal.

Stastny: Well, lessons learned. Whenever someone came up with the idea to bring him "back", NO THANKS.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Now we can really start crunching numbers...

11F, 6D, 1G signed

Landy - Mack - Mikko
???? - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nuke - ???? - Newhook
JTC - Maltsev - O'Connor
Sherwood

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - ????
MacDummy

???
Francouz

So 10.8M in space. We need a Starting Goalie(Sounds like Joe isn't going to spend more then 5M on a starter whether that ends up being Gruby or Kuemper or Andersen). We need a 3C, we need a 3RD, and we need a 2LW. The 3RD should cost 1M or less. If Jost is the 3C that's ~2M.

That will leave us with ~3M to spend on a Top 6 Winger.

If Joe really pays up for a guy with 50% retention, we could still add a really good Top 6 forward.
Trade Compher for an extra 3.5

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Nice bit of news to wake up to. I figured that I'd go to bed and it would get announced shortly after.

I thought 7x7 was fair but not gonna complain. Sakic held a strong line but in the end he had no choice but to compromise to get this done.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Sakic drew the line in the sand at $7m, that was the hill he died on. But as a result he had to concede the 8th year and NMC. As a contender that's probably the right decision.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
2.333M cap hit per season if there is a buyout.

The Avs have a way out if that is needed and it won't even hurt that much. The contract is fine, all these complaints are unnecessary. This is much better than paying a decent amount for Schwartz or some other inferior player.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Sakic drew the line in the sand at $7m, that was the hill he died on. But as a result he had to concede the 8th year and NMC. As a contender that's probably the right decision.

The NMC is only for the first 4 years. It's a modified NTC for the last 4, so it isn't even a NMC for the years people are concerned about.

Reactions: Mac2Rants

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The NMC is only for the first 4 years. It's a modified NTC for the last 4, so it isn't even a NMC for the years people are concerned about.

Do we know yet the structure of the salary per year and how many teams are on his modified NTC in the last 4 years?

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The team will likely be rebuilding in 7-8 years anyway, that's just the cycle, and a 7 million dollar contract is hardly a dagger especially if the cap looks much different then. If they haven't won a single cup by then then quite simply the team has failed. Go get it done.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Great news to wake up to. He was priority number 1 as far as ufas and he took a discount on aav. He had every argument to ask for more based on the Lee and JVR contracts. He has a better track record then either. Now I'm excited to see what Sakic has planned for today with this out of the way. Best line in hockey is kept intact for now!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't think the final years will be that bad. Especially not compared to some of the other players/contracts that have been thrown around. He's not really had any serious injuries in his career. He's a dedicated and intelligent enough player to play with the speed and skill of MacKinnon and Rantanen. By the time he starts slowing down physically he should still have enough game sense and defensive responsibility to keep being useful.

If Chicago can pay Toews and Kane god knows what while signing new guys to 9 million contracts, we'll be able to manage Landeskog's money.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I don't think the final years will be that bad. Especially not compared to some of the other players/contracts that have been thrown around. He's not really had any serious injuries in his career. He's a dedicated and intelligent enough player to play with the speed and skill of MacKinnon and Rantanen. By the time he starts slowing down physically he should still have enough game sense and defensive responsibility to keep being useful.

If Chicago can pay Toews and Kane god knows what while signing new guys to 9 million contracts, we'll be able to manage Landeskog's money.

Ya I don't think it will be that bad. The 7th and 8th year of MacKinnon's 13 mil contract will likely be much more handcuffing for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad