Dreger: Landeskog and Avs not close

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
There's no way that Landeskog is worth $9M per for 7/8 years if any GM is stupid enough to give him that he should be fired!!! There's no way Colorado signs him at that price.

And?
Hyman will be getting 6x7
He is older and hasn't produced even close to Landy...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, I'm ripping Avs fans who want to pretend that losing Landy is no big deal by poking holes in these hot takes that they'll replace him with some middle six forward who'll contribute just as much for less money. Or more ridiculous, will sign an equivalent elite forward for a deep discount.

Why can't y'all just admit that if you don't sign Landy for market value, it creates a big hole that will not be easily filled.

Bruh, if Landeskog had resigned on a sweetheart deal all the Avs fans would be signing songs about how they just signed the leagues top two-way forward for below market value.

Stop with this freaking nonsense that Landeskog is a "complimentary" player just because he's going to walk. Saad and Danault are no replacement for Landy and if the Avs did sign one of these players, they might very well not have room to pay for Jones too when MacKinnon and Makar are due big raises. Lets be real: the only reason Sakic hasn't given Landy an 8x8+ AAV is Sakic doesn't want to end up in cap hell like Toronto or Chicago years ago.

This sour grapes is beyond silly. If you were more realistic you won't be as disappointed next fall when the effect of his exit becomes apparent.

Losing Landeskog would suck but it’s the cap era and it’s entirely plausible we’re better off allocating those funds elsewhere. If that’s the case, we aren’t going to melt down over it.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Assume he means get some other GM to clear cap space for an attempt to fit Landeskog in, only to have him re-sign with the Avs regardless. Other team ends up worse, having sold assets under pressure to make room.

FTR I don't think that's what's going on, but I think not protecting Landeskog may have been part of 'a' plan all along.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Assume he means get some other GM to clear cap space for an attempt to fit Landeskog in, only to have him re-sign with the Avs regardless. Other team ends up worse, having sold assets under pressure to make room.

FTR I don't think that's what's going on, but I think not protecting Landeskog may have been part of 'a' plan all along.

I think if anything not protecting him will hurt colorado more, another slight to landy and give seattle 7 more days to make promises and dole out cash...I doubt that protecting logan oconnor was worth losing landeskog to seattle.. which also means they won't be taking a donskoi or compher

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
I think if anything not protecting him will hurt colorado more, another slight to landy and give seattle 7 more days to make promises and dole out cash...I doubt that protecting logan oconnor was worth losing landeskog to seattle.. which also means they won't be taking a donskoi or compher
Right, what I'm talking about is people who assume the plan is to save a protection slot by not protecting Landeskog with a handshake in place to re-sign. I don't think that's what's going on.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I don't blame either side for what has transpired. This has solely because of the flat cap and neither side could have seen it coming. The Avs have no cap space without any major albatross contracts to unload. Landeskog has played well and deserves to get paid.

The Avs are not wrong for "lowballing" him. There are offers on the table that are near his asking range just not at full term. They can't afford to offer both and they likely won't budge on that stance. Rookie overage bonuses of almost $2 million was also an unforseen circumstance that puts them in an even harer position to compensate free agents.

Landeskog is not wrong to seek his full worth. He can get it if he desires, just likely not in Colorado. He has played well, been a great teammate and captain and has earned a substantial paycheck.

I hope things can work out between them but if it doesn't there is no "villian" here, just a team hard against the cap and a high end player looking for market value.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I never really thought we’d get to this point. I always just assumed we’d reluctantly overpay him, and deal when the fallout down the road. Sakic is more bold than I expected. At this point, I think Landy goes elsewhere for $8.X over 7 years. That’ll sting. He’s worth $8 and change today. Probably not in a couple years when MacKinnon needs his extension though. If he’s gone, I hope we put in a call to Saad and see if he wants to hang around.

Whoever does pay him $8 better have a decent center for him. He was an extremely consistent 60 point guy for years before MacKinnnon and Rantanen became the players they are. If he gets plugged in next to a 1B/2A kinda guy, $8m could look bad pretty quickly.

Reactions: BlueOil

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think the craziest part of all this is the opposing fans saying “wow I can’t believe Landeskog won’t be an Av” while so many Avs fans are ok with it lol.

Reactions: Foppberg

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I

The Avs are not wrong for "lowballing" him. There are offers on the table that are near his asking range just not at full term. They can't afford to offer both and they likely won't budge on that stance. Rookie overage bonuses of almost $2 million was also an unforseen circumstance that puts them in an even harer position to compensate free agents.

Landeskog is not wrong to seek his full worth. He can get it if he desires, just likely not in Colorado. He has played well, been a great teammate and captain and has earned a substantial paycheck.

I would have thought Anders Lee's 7x7 deal , was in the range of what Landy would ask for.

That rumored $9m-$10m per was a shocker. I will be very surprised if some GM offers that much.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I would have thought Anders Lee's 7x7 deal , was in the range of what Landy would ask for.

That rumored $9m-$10m per was a shocker. I will be very surprised if some GM offers that much.

Yeah I agree. Personally I don’t believe the rumoured prices from either side

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
With the flat cap I just can’t see teams going to $9million on Lando and expecting to still be competitive.

Anything around $7-$8mil AAV I think the AVS would do and at that point Lando I think would stay with Colorado.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Some media sources in Denver are now saying that Landeskog did reject a 7x7 proposal from Colorado during the negotiations. I am not sure that I buy that, but hopefully Colorado is prepared to move on if true.

North

Jun 25, 2009
With the flat cap I just can’t see teams going to $9million on Lando and expecting to still be competitive.

Anything around $7-$8mil AAV I think the AVS would do and at that point Lando I think would stay with Colorado.

Never underestimate the lunacy of some NHL GMs.

Reactions: Morrison

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Just like literally every other UFA in the league that went unprotected?

Except for two UFA goalies that were protected only because those teams literally didn't have any other goalie worth protecting.

The Avs not protecting Landy won't have any impact at all in whether he chooses to leave or not.

That said, as an Avs fan I think he will leave. But not because the Avs didn't protect him.

Reactions: jabubenice

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I could see the Avs going after I guy like Schwartz for a better price if there is no deal to be had with Landeskog. He went to Colorado college so I would think he'd have interest in the Avs.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Some media sources in Denver are now saying that Landeskog did reject a 7x7 proposal from Colorado during the negotiations. I am not sure that I buy that, but hopefully Colorado is prepared to move on if true.
If this is true this this on Landy. I love Landy and he stuck with the Avs during the dark years when people were jumping ship. He’s been their leader for 9-10 years, but a 7 x 7 offer is fair IMO for both sides. He may be worth 8+ this year or next but come 5 years from now, he’s certainly going to a contract that doesn’t age well. 8+ is a monster contract to pay a middle 6 aging player, intangibles or not. I’m pretty surprised it’s gotten to this point. I would have never expected this last summer or during the season. I guess we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad