Dreger: Landeskog and Avs not close

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Landy is a UFA, they would be exposing a good depth forward to Seattle to protect him.

you don't waste a protected slot on a UFA. Landy is under no obligations to sign with Seattle.
We actually don’t have a choice.

Im 99% certain we protected Landeskog because we actually didn’t have a choice (not that they protected because they had to, they did because they wanted to)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Just like ROR, when/if he leaves people will realize how good he actually is.
I agree 100%. Not to mention the chemistry effect it will have on MacKinnon, Rantanen and others. Nate just openly voiced his frustration about not winning a Cup and the Avs are going to let their captain go right in his prime? This is ludicrous.

Reactions: LokiDog

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If he wants like $9M or anything close to that, Avs should walk. He is a guy that has played a rough game his whole time in the league and likely won't age well. Of course Avs want to keep their captain, but giving Landy more than like 7 years and $7-7.5M is going to hurt them long term. Even giving him that may hurt them, with Makar, Byram and MacKinnon coming up.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
it's huge that he is left unprotected. This means he can talk to Seattle and hear what their offers are and get a good idea what the market is for his services.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
If he wants like $9M or anything close to that, Avs should walk. He is a guy that has played a rough game his whole time in the league and likely won't age well. Of course Avs want to keep their captain, but giving Landy more than like 7 years and $7-7.5M is going to hurt them long term. Even giving him that may hurt them, with Makar, Byram and MacKinnon coming up.

He wants 9 IF he leaves the Avs. I am guessing he wants around 8x7 from the Avs, but it's not happening. He will demand more on the open market....

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Rough spot for Sakic. The Avs really should try to keep Landeskog, but if the rumors are true he wants way too much $/term. It's a lose-lose situation for Colorado unless there's some 11th hour miracle or Sakic can take GL's contract offer and line out his name and use it to sign a UFA or offer sheet an RFA that finds similar or greater impact with the team.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Seattle, please. I’ve committed. We moved to Washington for work earlier this year. I’ve got Kraken merch, going to the Kraken draft party. Please take my favorite non-Ranger and make him our first captain!

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Landy won’t agree to a contract with Seattle and they’ll have to take compher or Donskoi money.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
There's no way in hell Landeskog leaves a team he's the captain of that is on the verge of winning a cup to play for an expansion team in Seattle, Washington.

If he's leaving Colorado it's to another contender.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I’m surprised he was left unprotected. This shows how much sports is just a business. I remember when Sakic signed the Rangers offer sheet and no one understood why he wanted to leave Colorado. But anyway I’m someone who thinks protecting a UFA makes no sense. This is one of the most intriguing story lines in the league.

Reactions: jabubenice

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
There's no way in hell Landeskog leaves a team he's the captain of that is on the verge of winning a cup to play for an expansion team in Seattle, Washington.

If he's leaving Colorado it's to another contender.
Not too many contenders will give him more money than Colorado is capable/willing to offer.

Maybe Boston? They have a ton of salary cap space and are looking to build a 2nd line. They also are looking to start building a successor to Bergeon within the next 3-5 years, as it relates to captaincy material.

He seems to fit the Bruins culture and gives them a succession plan.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I’m surprised he was left unprotected. This shows how much sports is just a business. I remember when Sakic signed the Rangers offer sheet and no one understood why he wanted to leave Colorado. But anyway I’m someone who thinks protecting a UFA makes no sense. This is one of the most intriguing story lines in the league.
The Rangers gave Sakic a very very hard deal to refuse.

Sakic signed the offer-sheet, knowing that he had already won a Stanley Cup AND knowing that it was likely to be matched by the Avalanche. The Avalanche were big spenders during this time period.

Sakic probably knew that this was his chance at getting the most money from the Avalanche. He probably knew they would match it, considering the owner's wealth.

And if by some 1% chance the Avalanche didn't match? He had already won the Stanley Cup. So he had climbed the top of the accomplishment mountain, and would be more likely to desire financial security at that point.

Sergei Fedorov signed a Carolina Hurricanes offer-sheet under the exact same circumstances prior to the 1997/98 season.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
There's no way that Landeskog is worth $9M per for 7/8 years if any GM is stupid enough to give him that he should be fired!!! There's no way Colorado signs him at that price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad