Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I do not think it will be enough for the best goalie prospect in the world (Wallstedt).

We will need to add one of our forward prospects (Chromiak or Pinelli) and goalie prospect as well.

I know it is overpayment, but to me it is the only way to get Wallstedt out of Minnesota.

That is why Kings need to check goalie prospects for all NHL teams and make the best trade possible for Faber.
Iafallo straight up. His performance last night makes it an easy trade to make…

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is a bit unfortunate, I think for a player like Faber leaving after the sophomore year is the best and most proven way to have NHL success and he would have gotten great development from the coaches in Ontario. If it's depth chart/playing time related it's to bad because if he were a similar caliber forward he might have been able to jump into the NHL lineup right away, but the Kings can't offer that to a defenseman.

But on the bright side, staying a year longer than what is right is not going to be as damaging as leaving a year early would have been.

Minnesota will be the pre-season #1 if the Faber and Knies return to school.

I'll bet Faber returning solidifies it for Knies.

Hell yeah. But I highly doubt Minisoda will do that. He's the goalie of their future. But man one can dream.

Yeah Minnesota traded up to grab him before we could, he arguably means even more to THEM. I know we sure wouldn't let him go.

Reactions: ru4reals

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Disappointing news, but let him do another year in college, getting bigger and more mature. Would have loved him starting his pro career next year, but as many others have said this give Blake some time to sort out the RHD players. If he goes into his senior year with the gophers, then it is time to worry that he’ll be a free agent signing. But that’s a while away. Time to shift focus on players we have signed/are developing.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If chatter means people jumping to conclusions because he's staying for his junior season at Minnesota, uhh I guess. Faber was in the box suite with Blake at the Minnesota game for what it's worth. Way too early for people to be making shit up right after his sophomore season ended.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Is April 2024 the date to worry about or is it April 2023? If Faber decides in 12 months to do 4 years at college, doesn’t that mean he’s going to be a UFA in 2024?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I would expect the RHD situation in LA and the pipeline to be a little clearer in a year. At least something better happen to move some of those players around for other needs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Is April 2024 the date to worry about or is it April 2023? If Faber decides in 12 months to do 4 years at college, doesn’t that mean he’s going to be a UFA in 2024?
I imagine the time to worry is this time next year if he decides to go back once again.

When it comes to trade chips, Faber going back for his Junior season might push him to the top of the RHD list. We all love the player but it would be catastrophic if he strung the Kings along and they had to deal him under the pressure of knowing he'll never sign here.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
A sinking feeling. I have a feeling Brock's relationship with his sister and Minnesota ties, may have him just playing out his 4 years and signing with the Wild. Watch the video. He is all about family and his sister.
You can just get a feeling that she has asked him to stay there and play for the Wild, so her and family can stay close and she can see all of his games there. No, it's not a reach. He also seems like a standup guy and has lots of character, so I can also see him being loyal to the Kings...but not like he would be to his sister. Being that way, maybe he would ask the Kings to deal his rights to the Wild, so that the Kings can get something for him.

I just can't see Paige coming out to LA and watching him play. This family is 'so Minnesota' and tight.

Faber to Wild for #2 2022 and Jesper Wallstedt.
or
Faber to Wld for #1 2022 and LHD Carson Lambos
Just not feeling so good about this.

You’re just making shit up lol

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I imagine the time to worry is this time next year if he decides to go back once again.

When it comes to trade chips, Faber going back for his Junior season might push him to the top of the RHD list. We all love the player but it would be catastrophic if he strung the Kings along and they had to deal him under the pressure of knowing he'll never sign here.
Right. The player holds all the leverage in this situation. There is almost zero financial upside to playing in the minors on an ELC if an nhl roster spot is realistically available. 30 guaranteed nhl games eclipses a full season of AHL pay.

And for the holding organization, the more leverage the prospect holds, the trade value goes down. Usually with these college UFAs, they make it known that they will only sign with their preferred team. Either based on geography (Fox, Vesey) or available ice time like the guy who Minnesota just traded to ARI.

Blake looks weak after it’s publicly reported he goes to visit Faber to sell him on the Kings and comes away empty handed. If I’m Faber, I’m looking for assurances that a roster spot is carved out for me coming out of pro camp. And the Kings are in no position to do that by their own choices.

This kid is obviously betting on himself. I think he’s letting the press clippings get to his head. Playing well in weak international tournaments is notable but nothing about his performance says production player. Can’t miss I’d agree with. If anything he’s proven he has a good shot as a #5/6 defenseman but no one would put cash down that he’s a top 3.

Reactions: kinghock

respD

Jul 24, 2021

Some Twitter scuttlebutt, no idea if it's accurate. Assuming it is, then sitting there with Blake watching the Kings give up six unanswered after declining that offer must have been interesting.

I think it has to be hard for a young guy playing for his hometown team and just coming off a loss in the NCAA final to separate himself from it and start thinking about anything else. I'm not worried yet, but it's a situation to keep an eye on, especially if Minnesota comes close again without winning it next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Some Twitter scuttlebutt, no idea if it's accurate. Assuming it is, then sitting there with Blake watching the Kings give up six unanswered after declining that offer must have been interesting.

I think it has to be hard for a young guy playing for his hometown team and just coming off a loss in the NCAA final to separate himself from it and start thinking about anything else. I'm not worried yet, but it's a situation to keep an eye on, especially if Minnesota comes close again without winning it next year.

i... don't believe that. that just seems like fantasy talk to me to offer a kid a spot like that

Reactions: cyclones22

respD

Jul 24, 2021
i... don't believe that. that just seems like fantasy talk to me to offer a kid a spot like that
Hard to say... they did something similar with Daniel Brickley back in 2018 when they wanted to lure him in as a free agent out of college and he did in fact come straight into the Kings lineup (I think it was for the last game of the season). The enticement was that he gets into an NHL game and (if I recall correctly, someone will correct me if I'm wrong) it also burns the first year of the ELC.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah, I call bullshit on that report. Every game now is the most important game of the season with the Kings fighting for their playoff lives and they're just going to toss in a rookie with little practice time with the team 3 days after being eliminated from the Frozen Four? Highly unlikely. LMAO what kind of message does that send to the locker room? I know you've never skated with this kid ever, but we really want to sign him now and we need to play him in this super high leverage game. Right.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Well, that means it wasn't a burn issue which sometimes happens with guys who are very good but not elite, teams don't want to burn the ELC year. The Kings were going to give Faber the same type of deal that all of Michigan's guys got. The last time the Kings signed a high pick college guy like this was Turcotte, who did not immediately called up to the NHL and have a year burned. That makes it a bit more concerning about what eh truly wants, but I still wouldn't expect him to play 4 years and go the UFA route unless he is dead set on staying home even if it costs him millions. If he signs with the Kings at the end next year his contract starts in 2022/2023 and ends after 2024/2025. He'd start his second contract at age 23. If he waits he can't sign until the 2024/2025 season and he'd be 25 years old before that second contract when guys really start making money. He'd be costing himself millions if he became a FA.

Like I mentioned earlier, Werenski said about going back vs going pro that former college guys he talked to who ended up in the AHL all told him how they would have returned to school if they had the option to do it again, my guess is that Faber is in the same boat. He would rather return to school, get his degree and try and win a NC while playing in atmospheres like Minneapolis, Ann Arbor, Madison and South Bend etc. than make 100k playing in a minor league atmosphere in places like Stockton, Bakersfield and Tucson. The Kings depth chart means Faber likely makes 100k (or whatever it is) next season, for a guy who will likely have career earnings well into the 8 figures it just isn't a big enough motivation.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What's better for Faber's development, a season back in Minnesota or a season in Ontario? I don't know, so I'm asking.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah, I call bullshit on that report. Every game now is the most important game of the season with the Kings fighting for their playoff lives and they're just going to toss in a rookie with little practice time with the team 3 days after being eliminated from the Frozen Four? Highly unlikely. LMAO what kind of message does that send to the locker room? I know you've never skated with this kid ever, but we really want to sign him now and we need to play him in this super high leverage game. Right.

Teams have done it before. Charlie McAvoy debuted for the Bruins in a playoff game. I think some don't realize how good Faber is, he certainly could have played over a couple of these guys. Plus it's not like some long-term vet would have been sitting, they would have inserted him into the lineup and probably taken out Troy Stecher, a guy on an expiring contract who had played less than 10 games with the Kings.

What's better for Faber's development, a season back in Minnesota or a season in Ontario? I don't know, so I'm asking.

It's hard to argue the results of Ontario when it comes to developing defenseman. But Bob Motzko is a great developer of talent as well, I think he will be fine playing another season in the Big Ten. Maybe he can add some offense to his game. I think he could jump into the Kings lineup a year from now and be really good.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Just to toss it out there... to the best of my knowledge the Kings are sitting at 49 contracts. I don't know if they plan on Clarke or Chromiak playing for the Reign once their OHL season end but they both have signed ELCs meaning if they join the Reign they bring the contracts up to the 50 max.

Signing Faber to an ELC and having him play for the Kings would eliminate the possibility of Clarke/Chromiak joining Ontario. They could have theoretically signed Faber to an ELC that starts NEXT year and had him play in Ontario on an ATO the rest of this season but if the Reign were to have an extended run and the Kings weren't then you're looking at a potential Spence, Grans, Faber, Clarke jam in Ontario THIS year which I don't know maybe the talent is so good it doesn't matter but there are always multiple angles to consider.

I think.

EDIT: Chromiak OR Clarke would bring the contract number to 50. I don't think they can both join Ontario this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad