Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Yep. He'll get to see homeless tents, and the current dilapidated state of affairs in the city. I'm sure it will be very enticing.

Yep. He'll get to see homeless tents, and the current dilapidated state of affairs in the city. I'm sure it will be very enticing.
Good point, that would be much better than the burned out moonscape in Minneapolis that he would pass on his way to the arena in St. Paul.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Ryan Johnson may be a college free agent next summer right? Maybe Craig’s kid is the backup plan if Brock doesn’t commit to the Kings down the road.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Hypothetically if things do go south, I wonder if we could package Faber for Wallstedt?

Reactions: YP44

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Surprised this hasn't been bumped by anyone.

One of the few bright spots on the Wild this season, but i'm curious why he hasn't seen any PP time yet.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Surprised this hasn't been bumped by anyone.

One of the few bright spots on the Wild this season, but i'm curious why he hasn't seen any PP time yet.
I don't think Brock Faber has ever been know as a puck mover or a power play quarterback. He hasn't scored many goals at any level. He hasn't developed a heavy shot. Just not a big threat from the back end.

Maybe the Wild try him there at some point, but I'm not surprised he isn't on their power play.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think Brock Faber has ever been know as a puck mover or a power play quarterback. He hasn't scored many goals at any level. He hasn't developed a heavy shot. Just not a big threat from the back end.

Maybe the Wild try him there at some point, but I'm not surprised he isn't on their power play.

That's why I always reference Ryan McDonagh and even ME Vlasic, or for us Matt Roy.

Those guys were clearly skilled enough offensively to dominate 5v5, moving the puck and being ultra efficient, even displaying hands at times

But PP is a totally different skillset. Deception is huge, as is a scoring threat.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Faber was always known for his smooth and crisp puck handling. His breakouts are one of the strengths of his game. He does not have a big shot for certain, but his puck skills have always been top notch.

The closest comparable is actually Drew Doughty. This is a 25 minute a night RHD that will play in all the vital situations, including the PP. He is no Makar or Hughes, but 40+ points a year is the expectation.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Faber was always known for his smooth and crisp puck handling. His breakouts are one of the strengths of his game. He does not have a big shot for certain, but his puck skills have always been top notch.

The closest comparable is actually Drew Doughty. This is a 25 minute a night RHD that will play in all the vital situations, including the PP. He is no Makar or Hughes, but 40+ points a year is the expectation.
I'm not really that bent about losing Faber. I love what Fiala brings and we have Doughty/Spence/Clarke/Roy for our RHD. You have to give to get.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I'm not really that bent about losing Faber. I love what Fiala brings and we have Doughty/Spence/Clarke/Roy for our RHD. You have to give to get.
Fiala has the rare ability to score points, yet do very little to help the overall chances of winning.

Especially this year, compared to last.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Fiala has the rare ability to score points, yet do very little to help the overall chances of winning.

People said the same thing about Gaborik and Carter. It just takes one run. He looked good in the games he did get into while injured in last year's playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: funky

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

I dunno man, last year when he was hurt the team was definitely missing him.

When he came back for the playoffs (and you could tell he was still hurt and/or not up to game speed) the team still didn't look the same.

This year we've moved out some spare parts ie Walker, Edler, and Durzi but moreso the team is playing as a 5 man unit.

Besides Kempe there really isn't any player who can beast in the offensive zone like Fiala can. To some extent Moore has this year.

Fiala has had a slow start to the season, as PL has as well. I think these (2) players will be huge in the playoffs.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

When he came back for the playoffs (and you could tell he was still hurt and/or not up to game speed) the team still didn't look the same.

This year we've moved out some spare parts ie Walker, Edler, and Durzi but moreso the team is playing as a 5 man unit.

Besides Kempe there really isn't any player who can beast in the offensive zone like Fiala can. To some extent Moore has this year.

Fiala has had a slow start to the season, as PL has as well. I think these (2) players will be huge in the playoffs.
The best hockey the Kings played last year - regular season AND playoffs - was without Fiala.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

Fiala has yet to “beast” anything besides boneheaded penalties since returning from injury.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don’t think it’s fair to dump on Fiala, even if this trade does eventually turn sour. The Kings inability to draft scorers created a big need, and the days of strong UFA classes are for the most part over with teams signing players to long-term deals out of ELC’s.

Obviously when it comes to acquiring scoring wingers, it’s something you’d prefer to do at the draft but Blake didn’t have a time machine to undo some things, so he got one of the better wingers who was available in the trade market. He paid a fortune and gave up a future captain and impact player, but it was an area of strength fixing an area of weakness.

Teams that are trying to contend make trades like this all the time. Faber is already a great player and is obviously ascending so any chance of it being a trade where we gave up nothing are out the window (and most of us Faber fans would have said that option had 0% chance of happening). It’s to the point now where this trade strictly comes down to how the team performs in the spring for the next 2-3 years. If the Kings hang a banner, Faber becomes another Wayne Simmonds, a great player you had to move to fill a crippling hole. If the Kings don’t have any playoff success it will go down as a poor trade as Faber probably has a dozen more seasons at a pretty good level and maybe more, as high IQ players usually have longer careers.

Reactions: lumbergh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad