F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
85334994.jpg

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I was literally just using names people were more familiar with. Pick a 40-50 point scorer you like more I guess. My point was that we literally have threads on our board eviscerating guys for this type of production but we're supposed to just take back the Byfield pick because TS is doing that? No, he's basically doing exactly what everyone expected imo. If anything, he looks more comfortable than expected, and that's great--he's obviously got a bright future--but I see nothing that's shocking enough to make people second guess a thing. I mean if he were PPG or something then it's more of a conversation but I feel like you still have to let Byfield play out before even having that discussion. People are acting like there's some TS bashing going on but the thing is it's not about Stutzle, it's about Byfield. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and a guy enjoying some early success doesn't take away from the other to the degree is being suggested.
Exactly. I always felt Stützle would be a good NHL player and in all fairness he has settled quicker than I expected but from what I’ve seen he will be a wing not a Center. He was always going to play NHL games before Byfield, which we discussed at length before the draft. The run and gun hockey in the Canadian division has definitely helped him, which is fine by me. I hope he does fine as the Ottawa fans deserve something good to watch, but they aren’t winning anything with him alone.

The season in the AHL if anything jumpstarts Byfields development as he can work on the details of his 2 way game, which are definitely improving, without needing to score at the NHL level at the same time. It allows him to focus on those details and the lack of offence isn’t a real issue. Maybe it comes together quickly, maybe it takes a couple of years but I don’t see a 2-3 year wait before he starts becoming ‘the guy’ as a bad thing. Of course it’s possible that he never reaches his ceiling but we are a couple of years away before that even becomes a consideration. We need to let it play out which requires my new favourite word... patience.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Getting QB in the NHL lineup is a must this season and we’re possibly a few weeks away from seeing it. I’ve got zero issues with playing him 10-12 minutes a night as the 4 or 3 C.

You’d like to see him get minutes on the PP. it would be a lot of defensive responsibility, but I’d like to see him play D on PP2. His skating and puck carrying skills get you excited to see how he can make a big impact in a small role.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Getting QB in the NHL lineup is a must this season and we’re possibly a few weeks away from seeing it. I’ve got zero issues with playing him 10-12 minutes a night as the 4 or 3 C.

You’d like to see him get minutes on the PP. it would be a lot of defensive responsibility, but I’d like to see him play D on PP2. His skating and puck carrying skills get you excited to see how he can make a big impact in a small role.

I think we will see it as soon as OHL starts up.

Just would suck for him to lose his calder eligibility, but that is so far down priority.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think we will see it as soon as OHL starts up.

Just would suck for him to lose his calder eligibility, but that is so far down priority.

According to Hoven, the plan for Byfield is to not send him back to the OHL at all. He'll get some games with the Kings - not enough to burn a year - but they mostly just want him around and practicing with the big club.

Reactions: cyclones22

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
According to Hoven, the plan for Byfield is to not send him back to the OHL at all. He'll get some games with the Kings - not enough to burn a year - but they mostly just want him around and practicing with the big club.

I could see it but would rather just play him and burn the year. Rather that than have him sitting in the press box

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I could see it but would rather just play him and burn the year. Rather that than have him sitting in the press box

I guess it depends how he plays. If it looks like he belongs I’m not opposed. I guess the team finds a lot of value in having him also learn from the press box, they do seem to do that with all their prospects anyway.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

This is what I was hoping they would do. The expectation for next season has to be the NHL and this is a good first step. Even if he’s not quite as ready as you’d like this gets him to practice and travel with the team and see some limited action. This is better than going down and dominating teenagers in the OHL and going through the NHL culture shock next season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Big no from me on burning the year. There might be like 20 or so games left in the Kings season by the time he'd have to go back. They can play him in like 25% of the remaining games and move the contract down the line.

If he gets nine games left in the AHL and the six in the NHL, that would be 31 total games of pro-hockey this season when excluding the AHL pre-season games. I'll take that and the WJC over 60 some OHL games which would have been the case in a normal season. If the Reign can turn this season around and make the playoffs, I assume he could rejoin them.

*edit* If they are even having playoffs this year

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dillman had a good writeup in The Athletic about how the longer the OHL logistics drag on, the better for the Kings and Byfield.

I forget the number of games one needs to reach UFA sooner--but essentially Byfield can't do that at this point, which is good.

The logistics right now are just about how many more AHL games Byfield gets to play before coming up to the NHL, and then how many games does he play--can't imagine they'd want to burn off a year for 20ish NHL games but ultimately we might be thinking TOO hard about that--sure you burn a year of his ELC but you don't lose an RFA year, so you just get to negotiate his 2nd deal earlier. For a guy like Quinton, that might work out like Mackinnon's contract.

But all the soaking up he's doing in the AHL, give that double for the amount of time he gets to spend around Anze.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This has been my hope from the get go. I knew that the OHL would not be able to get their season started in reasonable time from draft day. I think under normal circumstances, which we haven't had in over a year, yes he marinates another season in Junior. But this is much better. Playing with future teammates in Ontario for 20+ games then 6 games and however many days of training/practice with the big club is the optimal development path.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Exactly. I always felt Stützle would be a good NHL player and in all fairness he has settled quicker than I expected but from what I’ve seen he will be a wing not a Center. He was always going to play NHL games before Byfield, which we discussed at length before the draft. The run and gun hockey in the Canadian division has definitely helped him, which is fine by me. I hope he does fine as the Ottawa fans deserve something good to watch, but they aren’t winning anything with him alone.

The season in the AHL if anything jumpstarts Byfields development as he can work on the details of his 2 way game, which are definitely improving, without needing to score at the NHL level at the same time. It allows him to focus on those details and the lack of offence isn’t a real issue. Maybe it comes together quickly, maybe it takes a couple of years but I don’t see a 2-3 year wait before he starts becoming ‘the guy’ as a bad thing. Of course it’s possible that he never reaches his ceiling but we are a couple of years away before that even becomes a consideration. We need to let it play out which requires my new favourite word... patience.

For what it's worth, he's got 10 points in 17 games at 18 years old. Second-youngest player in the AHL this year (and youngest full time player).

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Even with the shit start that's on pace for top 10 season of all time for 18 year old in AHL (out of 270)

18-Year Old AHL Players - Regular Season Stats

Its funny to see Bjornfot on that list in the top 15!

Also, I see Byfield trending up in terms of production, impact, and whatever other metric you want to use. The fact that he's trending upwards is more important in my opinion than anything.

Reactions: funky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad