Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He was drafted to be a big point producer, this is excellent news to see that develop, his defense sucks but almost every 18/19 year olds does at the pro level. Even Kopitar was a spectator many nights in the defensive zone when Crawford was coach.

The Kings will probably wait to give him a call-up until the very last minute but if he keeps this up it will be deserved, which is obviously better than just getting him games to make him comfortable for next year.

I still think he'll either be a solid 1st line LW or 2nd line center by the middle of next season.
Kopitar needed Terry Murray to show him how to play from the dots to the boards, and how to protect "home plate". Bring back Terry!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
He made the jump to the Pros and is starting to put it together.

Just on that last goal you saw his hands, size(puck protection) and quickness comming off the boards to finish with his NHL caliber shot. In his previous games, the slick move on his break away goal, his rebounds from the dirty areas in front of the net and those 10 foot passes to Thomas in tight to the slot. Just imagine if he had some hockey IQ, he would lead this team in scoring. :thumbu:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
He made the jump to the Pros and is starting to put it together.

Just on that last goal you saw his hands, size(puck protection) and quickness comming off the boards to finish with his NHL caliber shot. In his previous games, the slick move on his break away goal, his rebounds from the dirty areas in front of the net and those 10 foot passes to Thomas in tight to the slot. Just imagine if he had some hockey IQ, he would lead this team in scoring. :thumbu:

Whoa whoa main board says he doesn't have a high IQ. LOL. Quinton Byfield is going to be a monster. He's 18 and tied for the team lead in points in the A. I say that's not bad at all.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Whoa whoa main board says he doesn't have a high IQ. LOL. Quinton Byfield is going to be a monster. He's 18 and tied for the team lead in points in the A. I say that's not bad at all.

Can't imagine a 100+ pt season in the OHL would satisfy the haters. They would say he is using his size against teenagers etc...Now that he seems to produce in the AHL with men, they say he should be in the NHL because he was drafted 2nd...lol

Last edited:

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Can't image a 100+ pt season in the OHL would satisfy the haters. They would say he is using his size against teenagers etc...Now that he seems to produce in the AHL with men, they say he should be in the NHL because he was drafted 2nd...lol

Yeah it just cracks me up especially the ones that don't watch any of the Reign games and then make up sh*t about how they are turnover machines or didn't notice them and didn't get any icetime. Yet assisted or scored and was very noticeable throughout the game. Hilarious. Byfield will be fine his IQ looks good to me. LOL.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To be fair, certain parts of his game were issues and still are: he just wasn't finishing his chances previously. He still isn't shooting enough as he only has 34 shots in 20 games but at least we've seen him put one in off the rush and then last night's roof job. He has a very good shot so it is nice to see it work a couple of times now but the most shots he has had in a game during this five game goal scoring streak is only 2. So he's at a 50% or 100% shooting percentage clip during this hot streak. I really want to see the shot numbers increase.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No one is saying he doesn’t have room for growth. We’re just openly mocking the rapidly moving goalposts for the haters that wouldn’t be happy no matter what league he’s producing in. There are very reasonable doubts/complaints at this point but they’RE often not coming from informed perspectives.

IE if he were blowing up junior, big deal (see: Alexis Lafreniere’s last year)
Now he’s heating up in the AHL, and ‘it’s a watered down league’
“I want to see him score against men” and now that he is ‘oh no not like that’
“He should be in the NHL” the implication being he CANT make it rather than his development is likely better served elsewhere.

Etc.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
No one is saying he doesn’t have room for growth. We’re just openly mocking the rapidly moving goalposts for the haters that wouldn’t be happy no matter what league he’s producing in. There are very reasonable doubts/complaints at this point but they’RE often not coming from informed perspectives.

IE if he were blowing up junior, big deal (see: Alexis Lafreniere’s last year)
Now he’s heating up in the AHL, and ‘it’s a watered down league’
“I want to see him score against men” and now that he is ‘oh no not like that’
“He should be in the NHL” the implication being he CANT make it rather than his development is likely better served elsewhere.

Etc.

"Haters" are just looking at counting stats but now that the counting stats are improving, it goes back to the general issues with his game and it is by a lot of people that aren't watching him play.

I'm glad the counting stats are improving--especially goal scoring--but it should be the general issues of his game that we are hoping to see improvement in. I'd be worried if the counting stats didn't come but it is not surprising that they are.

Love how Kaliyev is just flying under the radar. 14 points in 20 games and legit should have a few more goals. Watched him on a long shift in the 1st last night busting his ass to get in on the forecheck. Really pulling for this kid since he has taken a lot of shit which is pretty funny for a 2nd round pick.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
QB has earned a call up to the big squad based on his production and the principal of meritocracy. The key date will be following the TDL, when NHL rosters expand. We’re about 18 days away from that milestone and the OHL hasn’t announced a return yet.

At that point you can see where QB is as far as health, play and production. If he’s good to go, then he should get some NHL games and development time with the big club. Same situation for Kaliyev.

I hope the Kings pursuit of a playoff spot doesn’t make management deviate from a potential plan to integrate more prospects into the Kings lineup in the latter part of the season.

Reactions: YP44

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Right now that's a problem for all of our top centers, really. Kopi should shoot more. Vilardi should shoot more and QB should be shooting more. But it's nice that they all have quality shooting ability to start.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
QB has earned a call up to the big squad based on his production and the principal of meritocracy. The key date will be following the TDL, when NHL rosters expand. We’re about 18 days away from that milestone and the OHL hasn’t announced a return yet.

At that point you can see where QB is as far as health, play and production. If he’s good to go, then he should get some NHL games and development time with the big club. Same situation for Kaliyev.

I hope the Kings pursuit of a playoff spot doesn’t make management deviate from a potential plan to integrate more prospects into the Kings lineup in the latter part of the season.

I think a big factor, too, is simply getting as much time in the AHL as possible. If the OHL announces a date, he'd get moved up to the NHL at the last moment.

If the OHL cancels the season, then he may get a call up sooner, since he can move back down to the AHL leisurely.

It also depends if they are genuinely pushing for the playoffs. That's not the best time to get your feet wet.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Right now that's a problem for all of our top centers, really. Kopi should shoot more. Vilardi should shoot more and QB should be shooting more. But it's nice that they all have quality shooting ability to start.

QB's PP usage doesn't help since he basically sits off to the side of the net looking to do touch passes to a shooter in the slot, although he was able to clean up some rebounds for two goals during this streak.

He has a nice shot. One of the things I really liked about his film. Hope to see it more.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
QB's PP usage doesn't help since he basically sits off to the side of the net looking to do touch passes to a shooter in the slot, although he was able to clean up some rebounds for two goals during this streak.

He has a nice shot. One of the things I really liked about his film. Hope to see it more.

That's one problem I have with Wrob's deployment of him, on the PP. He essentially wants him to operate below the goal line until shots come, then he wants him as the net front presence. QB ran the PP for his junior team and I'd like to see him get some time doing that.

AK is such a good puck mover. Completely underrated in that regard. Makes quick reads and passes and gets that defense shifting away from him. QB in the middle with Turcotte on his left and AK on his right would be killer.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
That's one problem I have with Wrob's deployment of him, on the PP. He essentially wants him to operate below the goal line until shots come, then he wants him as the net front presence. QB ran the PP for his junior team and I'd like to see him get some time doing that.

AK is such a good puck mover. Completely underrated in that regard. Makes quick reads and passes and gets that defense shifting away from him. QB in the middle with Turcotte on his left and AK on his right would be killer.

On the PP, that's not a problem for now, that's where QB should be. I want him 5-10 feet from the net, not 50. He needs to use his size and board play on the PP to retreive pucks along the boards and start the cycle up to the Dmen or make a play in the slot or drive the net looking for rebounds. Once he is able to control that part of his game, I am sure they will use him on the half wall next. His hands are quick but his lower body and balance are not there yet. Need to be careful asking too much finese out of a big man this soon.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Seeing a lot of top-2 draft picks struggle in the NHL recently, I'm glad that QB is in the minors. I don't mind if he gets a couple NHL games later this season, but I really hope the Kings don't feel obligated to make him a fuller time NHLer next season just because he was the 2nd overall pick.

Automatically throwing prospects in the NHL because of their draft position is a mentality that needs to change IMO. I don't see what the point was of having Hughes in the NHL last year was for example.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Seeing a lot of top-2 draft picks struggle in the NHL recently, I'm glad that QB is in the minors. I don't mind if he gets a couple NHL games later this season, but I really hope the Kings don't feel obligated to make him a fuller time NHLer next season just because he was the 2nd overall pick.

Automatically throwing prospects in the NHL because of their draft position is a mentality that needs to change IMO. I don't see what the point was of having Hughes in the NHL last year was for example.

He has to be a full time NHLer next season, he won't be allowed to play in the AHL. Its either NHL or back to Sudbury, but there's no way they send him to the OHL after how well he's playing in a higher league.

He'd have to really, really struggle through the first bit of the season for them to seriously consider sending him back to juniors. But even then you could still keep him up until the WJC's and send him there to get some confidence back. I just can't see sending your AHL team's leading scorer back to junior because you're afraid calling him up will hurt his development.

(and before anyone says it I don't care at all about burning ELC years as I don't believe you can definitively state what the correct financial decision is without knowing how the player will perform leading up to the second contract)

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He has to be a full time NHLer next season,
No he doesn't.
he won't be allowed to play in the AHL. Its either NHL or back to Sudbury,
Yes. Everybody knows that.

but there's no way they send him to the OHL after how well he's playing in a higher league.
Draisaitl went back to Junior after playing 37 games in the NHL and he was the 3OA pick. Granted it was his D1 year, but he was one of the oldest players in the draft, where as Byfield was one of the youngest.

QB will get his games at the the beginning of next season. And we'll see where it goes from there.

That said, I think that you're most likely right. I think the Kings probably see it the way you do. It's unlikely he gets sent back to Junior. For better or worse, he's mostly likely a full time NHLer next season. My point was that it shouldn't be so obligatory to put high picks in the NHL quickly. There are exceptions of course and it's obviously much more difficult for CHL players because of the AHL situation.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
No he doesn't.
Draisaitl went back to Junior after playing 37 games in the NHL and he was the 3OA pick. Granted it was his D1 year, but he was one of the oldest players in the draft, where as Byfield was one of the youngest.

Right but Draisaitl didn't have a stint in the AHL in between. Byfield could have 50 pro games under his belt before next season starts, and if he keeps up his level of play he very well may finish the year at a PPG and as the Reign's leading scorer. Him playing in Sudbury next year isn't even an option as far as I'm concerned, that would be so detrimental to his growth, he'd be demoted to a level below a level we know he can excel at. Big league practice time, with our coaches, Vets, staff, and sheltered 4th line minutes beats the hell out of sending him off to the other side of the continent to play junior hockey again.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think there are certain people with an agenda who specifically get off on shitting all over teenage kids. Bunch of impatient knobs who expect immediate results.

568866cc2abd3ffe61423b8204721dcb.gif

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Agreed. Hell, Hughes has made some boneheaded mistakes that led directly to goals the past 2 weeks.

At least NJ isn't going anywhere but you have to worry about developing bad habits in a losing culture and if it will affect his game long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad