Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
i mostly read the athletic guys and before the draft that had Stutzle as more ready than QB.
That wasn't the point. He tried to claim Stutzle was the most ready so as to diminish his accomplishment. Lafreniere was far and away the most ready and there are plenty of opinions out there that he was the only one ready (perhaps Rossi).

bland

Jul 1, 2004
We'll see. I'll be shocked if the Kings don't take advantage of being able to let him see what NHL game speed is like: especially since he's been playing a lot of minutes in the AHL already.

I don't know how we judge maturity between Kaliyev and Byfield. The former is 14 months older and has an extra year of OHL under his belt but the latter has been a highly touted Canadian prospect for the majority of his life. Regardless, AK got a game so why not Byfield? I've watched these Reign games and there is basically zero downside to him getting in an NHL game before sending him back to the OHL. If he can't survive around 10 minutes of ice time in an NHL game as the #2OA pick at his size, then we have a problem.
Well, Kaliyev is supposedly 42 years old, so that might be the difference.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Wasn't the consensus that Stutzle was the most NHL ready of the three since he had been playing pro hockey for a year already? I know Laff was deemed "NHL ready" but he hadn't been playing against pros yet.

Lafreniere plays the most professional style game, but Stützle's style of play was more conducive to stepping in right away and impressing. Nobody expected Stützle to come in and be a responsible focal point, but he was expected to step in and put up good individual numbers while acclimating to the NHL.

Folks who like to use 100 yard dash numbers to project marathon finishing times don't tend to get much right.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Lafreniere plays the most professional style game, but Stützle's style of play was more conducive to stepping in right away and impressing. Nobody expected Stützle to come in and be a responsible focal point, but he was expected to step in and put up good individual numbers while acclimating to the NHL.

Folks who like to use 100 yard dash numbers to project marathon finishing times don't tend to get much right.
Yeah right. From ESPN:

The Rangers lucked into the No. 1 pick of the 2020 draft -- despite qualifying for the expanded 2020 postseason -- and good on them for not overthinking it. Despite hearing a few offers for the top pick, New York kept it in selecting Alexis Lafreniere, who many experts believe is the only player in this draft ready to make an immediate impact (as in, score somewhere around 60 points as a rookie).

Reactions: YP44

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah right. From ESPN:

The Rangers lucked into the No. 1 pick of the 2020 draft -- despite qualifying for the expanded 2020 postseason -- and good on them for not overthinking it. Despite hearing a few offers for the top pick, New York kept it in selecting Alexis Lafreniere, who many experts believe is the only player in this draft ready to make an immediate impact (as in, score somewhere around 60 points as a rookie).

I don't give a shit what articles are pulled, pundits are quoted or what the consensus is among fans. They don't set any expectations for me. I told everyone exactly what I thought was going to happen and its gone just as expected. The threads are still, feel free to look them up.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I don't give a shit what articles are pulled, pundits are quoted or what the consensus is among fans. They don't set any expectations for me. I told everyone exactly what I thought was going to happen and its gone just as expected. The threads are still, feel free to look them up.
Do you even read what you post?
"but he was expected to step in and put up good individual numbers while acclimating to the NHL."

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You guys act like if we had drafted TS that he wouldn't be on the Ontario Reign right now getting destroyed and Sens fans would be mocking us for gifting them Byfield. Rushing a winger is literally all the Sens have to talk about right now. They are one point ahead of Detroit and have played two more games. Byfield was and still is the right pick.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think the elephant in the room is that you have Stutzle playing up in the bigs but also Zegras is up with The Sucks now full time.

Meanwhile, Byfield and Turcotte are buried in the AHL on a team that is losing nearly every game.

I get it guys. But remember to breathe, click your heels three times and say to yourself...

CloseVibrantCaribou-size_restricted.gif

Vilardi....

Vilardi....

Vilardi...

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
You guys act like if we had drafted TS that he wouldn't be on the Ontario Reign right now getting destroyed and Sens fans would be mocking us for gifting them Byfield. Rushing a winger is literally all the Sens have to talk about right now. They are one point ahead of Detroit and have played two more games. Byfield was and still is the right pick.

He's got some of the worst Advanced Stats on the Sens and one of the worst plus minus in the entire NHL. The Sens are getting murdered when he's out on the ice. But they are allowing him to do this thing for better for worse for his development.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I think the elephant in the room is that you have Stutzle playing up in the bigs but also Zegras is up with The Sucks now full time.

Meanwhile, Byfield and Turcotte are buried in the AHL on a team that is losing nearly every game.

I get it guys. But remember to breathe, click your heels three times and say to yourself...

CloseVibrantCaribou-size_restricted.gif

Vilardi....

Vilardi....

Vilardi...

And then Kempe, Kempe, Kempe right after....:nod:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

He might be playing for Adler Mannheim, their season started earlier.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Sudbury basically on lockdown due to a COVID outbreak. Indoor fitness facilities like ice rinks are shut. I can't see how Byfield will return to Sudbury this season, given the conditions. Look for Byfield to stay in SoCal, whether it's as a Reign or a King, for the foreseeable future.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
wonder where he will play when called up? Does he just take Amadio's spot on the 4th line or perhaps does he play on a higher line wing.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
wonder where he will play when called up? Does he just take Amadio's spot on the 4th line or perhaps does he play on a higher line wing.
I think he goes to the wing to lessen his responsibilities and get him better acclimated to the NHL. Maybe on Kopi's LW
As a side note, I think Turcotte gets the same treatment

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think he goes to the wing to lessen his responsibilities and get him better acclimated to the NHL. Maybe on Kopi's LW
As a side note, I think Turcotte gets the same treatment

I think he goes to wing as well. Not sure about on the top line though. If that was the route TM took with rookies I think we would have seen Vilardi there last year.

Reactions: VILARGOD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad