Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I'm serious when I say we are inches away from everyone raving about Byfield instead of criticizing him.

Even in that video, he had a sick dangle and several near misses. In the game, he had a disallowed goal, a few near misses, a couple of insane saves by the goalie, and a few setups that should have been assists.

I swear to god it's Lafreniere all over again. If not for Kirby Dach--the guy who graduated with a mature game and now has nearly a full season of NHL experience--people are talking about Byfield manhandling everyone. I feel like I"m taking crazy pills watching this guy double up his mediocre team in production and just being dominant (albeit with inconsistency) while others are making excuses that he's going to fail. You would think this guy is the most broken #2 overall of all time.

We complain about people overreacting to tourneys--I seriously cannot believe people are f***ing even sweating a god damn scrimmage after a million months off and a few more days behind due to testing.
You could almost say it was... predictable?

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

I hope you don’t mind me Posting links here, but I didn’t see this on your Board yet.

For those of you who do not regularly listen to the Hockey Central Podcast, there’s a nice piece re:Quinton while Cory Stillman (former Sudbury Wolves coach) is being interviewed.

Quinton’s part starts around 34:40 in.

Hockey Central - Sportsnet.ca

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
GingerPapa, can we adopt you as a Kings fan?
9D1CAB9C-593E-425C-A768-C5D51F34216B.gif
95DBED8C-AD71-4227-92D3-DA0165D16FBF.gif
0112D036-0A1B-4982-AB4B-236BA0224A61.gif

As long as my over use of GIF’s isn’t a problem.

As a fan of the game I’ve always loved me some Doughty & Kopitar.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Just seeing Lindros pulling size and strength on everyone and imagining Byfield figuring it out

Lindros was one of those players we may never see again. Dude was a freakin monster in his prime. Shame he played in the same coast as Scott Stevens. Byfield may never be as physical but if he's able to use his size like Lindros watch out.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Byfield while looking good has been outclassed at jr's so far. Let's see how he does during the tourney. I still see him as having all the potential needed to become a Kopitar lite which will be a great thing for us moving forward. IF he becomes the player everyone hopes he can become then we will have a solid big 1st or 2nd line center to add to our mix. If he doesn't we will have a great utility top 6er and that is great for us too. He is at best 1-2 years away from the NHL as I see him today but then so is/was Turcs/Kalyev Fagamo Thomas JAD etc. We have a good one in QB, how good time will tell. He needs to step it up at the WJC's for sure but I believe he will.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Byfield while looking good has been outclassed at jr's so far. Let's see how he does during the tourney. I still see him as having all the potential needed to become a Kopitar lite which will be a great thing for us moving forward. IF he becomes the player everyone hopes he can become then we will have a solid big 1st or 2nd line center to add to our mix. If he doesn't we will have a great utility top 6er and that is great for us too. He is at best 1-2 years away from the NHL as I see him today but then so is/was Turcs/Kalyev Fagamo Thomas JAD etc. We have a good one in QB, how good time will tell. He needs to step it up at the WJC's for sure but I believe he will.
I believe Byfield will also but remember he turned 18 in August so he's just a baby...He'll get there just hope the Kings have the pieces and players that can gel with him!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It reminds me a lot of what Yanetti(I think?) said about Turcotte--CAN he play right now? Absolutely. Is it the best thing? Maybe not.

Look how many of the last decade's top picks have struggled out the gate getting jammed into the NHL on shit teams. Granted it sucks because there's not a spot for them in a better league, really--like, what were guys like Jack Hughes and Hischier supposed to do (they had respectable rookie seasons, not shit talking). It seems like this forum as a whole has started to judge prospects on how they do out the gate as opposed to a year or two down the line, particularly for guys who are working on their man strength.

It takes some brass balls by Blake and co to exercise patience when you have guys clearly skilled enough to play, and the fans are clamoring for them, but the best thing for their development is breathing.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Dach is also 19 months older than Byfield FWIW

For reference, Quick is 19 months older than Kopitar, Jonathan Toews is 19 months older than Doughty, and Matthew Tkachuk is 19 months older than Gabe Vilardi. It's a pretty big difference.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
You'd have to think they would loosen up the rules temporarily for these extraordinary circumstances.
While I think practicing with the Kings and getting in the allowable 5-7 early season games, I just don't think Byfield is ready for a full (even shortened) NHL season. He's too young and needs development. Why burn a year when he's not ready.

Reactions: andys

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
You'd have to think they would loosen up the rules temporarily for these extraordinary circumstances.
While I think practicing with the Kings and getting in the allowable 5-7 early season games, I just don't think Byfield is ready for a full (even shortened) NHL season. He's too young and needs development. Why burn a year when he's not ready.

I agree, I just wish there was somewhere we could send him. Maybe Germany? Send a bunch of prospects over there? I feel like the OHL isn't the best place for him, unfortunately.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I think the Kings will have Byfield up and play him the odd game...just a gut feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad