Prospect Info: LAK Draft (2nd, 2020) C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Like I said Byfield will be with the Kings when this Tourny is over! And may stay the whole season but only play 6.8 (7)games ala Brayden Schenn way back when. Could even see Byfield doing a stint in the AHL for conditioning purposes!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Saw a bit on Spence,but Byfield was playing mostly LWing against the Russians.His audition for the numero uno LW spot next to Kopi-Star?You have to think that's where he lines up in LA initially anyways

Reactions: ricardfromage

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
You'd have to think they would loosen up the rules temporarily for these extraordinary circumstances.
While I think practicing with the Kings and getting in the allowable 5-7 early season games, I just don't think Byfield is ready for a full (even shortened) NHL season. He's too young and needs development. Why burn a year when he's not ready.
Ordinarily I would agree but these are trying times and isn't it better Byfield is playing some games and training with the Pros than sitting at home and training there with no games?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I'd be more concerned about the CHL just cancelling their seasons.

Every morning I drive by the WHL rink that houses the local team. Two or has been three times the date has been pushed to a later time. In my mind I can see/could see that the WHL season being washed-out. Too bad so sad but rather be safe than sorry I guess. The World doesn't revolve around hockey it just feels like it

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Byfield will be a beast. Only bummer about getting Stutzle is we couldn’t get both. Both will be good, you guys knew Byfield would be a lot more raw. Give him a couple years and watch him emerge. Too different stylistically to really say who will be better than the other.

besides we will probably trade Stutzle to you in a few years for scraps anyway due to Melnyk lel

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This tournament doesn’t bode well for the Byfield vs Stutzle comparison since one player dominated.

Part of me thinks the Kings didn’t draft Stutzle because they already had Turcotte. They seem a bit similar.

I hope Blake was right on this one....

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This tournament doesn’t bode well for the Byfield vs Stutzle comparison since one player dominated.

Part of me thinks the Kings didn’t draft Stutzle because they already had Turcotte. They seem a bit similar.

It just reinforced the consensus: Stutzle is more ready and polished now.

Reactions: BringTheReign

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Stutzle looked like he's been playing for a while coming into the WJC , Byfield looked like he hasn't, but got better as he went along. Both will be good pro's and I'll wait a few years before wondering if it was the right pick.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Once Byfield or his team gives up the puck, he immediately pursues the puck / puck carrier and it is largely futile. It seems the best choice, if you have a chance to get it back or hit the carrier, but 80% of the time, the play is gone. I wonder if he had more success at lower levels, doing this. The Kings will work with him on positioning, structure and a whole lot more. I hope he can play with the Reign this year and he works these things out.

Reactions: Telos

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Let's be real, Byfield is 1-2 years from being ready to just play in the NHL let-alone having an impact... He's young, raw, and is a tall scrawny kid that needs a lot of development. But let's get real, the kid has the tools and the toolbox and everything he needs to be successful. I trust our development staff to get him there. No matter what, the future is blinding at the moment. There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic as a Kings fan right about now...

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Funny you mention Thornton...that's one of the regular comparables.

giphy.gif

url

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020

If I were a kings guy, I would probably try to avoid the comps on the 2 players. You're management chose the player they believed fit. Byfield will be good, he will not be malkin, but he will be very solid offensively and defensely. Overall I'd try to see him as piece to puzzle of victory not the complete set of pieces. Its about the work ethic and high end skill of him AND the other players in your pipeline.

Its wild before the draft I genuinely thought Timmy fit your roster more. After this tournament though, Ottawa is the exact club he belongs at. Byfield also belongs in LA. Byfields gonna take time, but LAs aged stars will provide that. Prior to the tournament I genuinely thought Timmy needed those stars on his team to acclimate to the show. Now I am confident Timmy needs a team where he can carry part of the load now. A place where he can be "the guy" now. King's stars might be aging, but Timmy just would not be "the guy" there until the all stars passed the torch. In Ottawa, no one is currently holding that torch. It is sitting in the middle of the locker room and the boys are starring at each other like, "you gonna get that, or should I?" A team thats searching for it's identity is what Timmy needed, so he can give them it. Byfield needed a team that has their identity and thats the Kings.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
A team thats searching for it's identity is what Timmy needed, so he can give them it. Byfield needed a team that has their identity and thats the Kings.

Great post, I had never thought of the comparison that way. I think with the majority of younger players, it's helpful to arrive to a team with an establish identity. To your point, it is likely more important for a player like Byfield who is super-young even for his draft year, AND because it will take him longer to grow into his size and coordination.

Reactions: MrGuyPerson

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Welcome to LA, Quinton Byfield! He's flying in today, with Bjornfot, Turcotte and Kaliyev.

It will be Quinton's first time he's been to LA!
Question: has there EVER been a player that signed a contract (ELC) and NEVER been to the city of his team??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig