Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I can't believe DL didn't try to get assets for a upcoming UFA after not scoring in any of his 2 games before the deadline. He didn't get the sellers memo.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He got schooled, ala Meyers on Brown during the second period at around the 16:40 mark, but wasn't as horrible as he was during the Ducks game.

Okay since I can't find this mythical play anywhere, and no one else remembers it or has any evidence, here's what I can find.

Here's the official NHL play-by-play of the game: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/PL020950.HTM

Since I'm not sure if you meant at 16:40 on the clock or after 16:40 had elapsed (3:20 left?), here are the events happening at those times. At 16:51 Hamilton had a takeaway in our zone. at 16:31, Fayne hit King in our zone, but Sekera was no longer on the ice. Somehow in those 20 seconds we got the puck and got our defensemen up the ice so it seems unlikely that 11 seconds after a Hamilton takeaway Sekera made some rookie mistake bad enough that he couldn't get off the ice in the next 9 seconds. At 3:31, Klinkhammer had a shot on goal from the neutral zone, and at 3:11, McNabb hit Hendricks in our defensive zone...and of course, we scored 10 seconds later when going up ice, Sekera had hopped off at that point. I guess its' possible that 11 seconds after Klinkhammer's shot Sekera did something....but in either case, whatever it was wasn't even bad enough to show up in the official game play-by-play at all, not as a giveaway, not as a takeaway, not as a hit, nothing. So even if there was a minor error there, I have a hard time believing Sekera made a bad enough rookie mistake that he was awful for the whole game, which was your evaluation.

On Top of that: http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20950

Sekera, in his third game with us, logged 16:36 TOI (4th behind D/M and Regehr, and a couple of which were on the powerplay), posted the 4th highest CF on the team behind D/M and Kopitar despite many less minutes on ice, had the 2nd lowest CA, and a CF% of 58.62%, good for 6th on the team. He DID have a high number of offensive zone starts in comparison, but that makes sense due to easing him into his role (as does the lack of PK time), though it compares favorably to Voynov's historical utilization as well.

Not bad for a guy getting acclimated. I really thought he was going to break through with a point last night, loved his puck movement on the powerplays and out of the zone, and I loved his ability to just get low and ride off checks with the puck (really only did it twice that I can remember).

Negatives, I'm having a hard time finding them. I maybe agree that he maybe needs to protect himself better because he DOES get hit HARD, but it doesn't seem to faze him, I'd like to see a little more offense directly, and I'm not going to criticise his D because 1. it's been solid and 2. he's still learning the system and while his first two games were with the Regehr tire fire his last one was bullying a junior varsity opponent. Hard to clean much from these 3 games is really my point, but the stats support that there's much more good than bad so far.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Okay since I can't find this mythical play anywhere, and no one else remembers it or has any evidence, here's what I can find.

Here's the official NHL play-by-play of the game: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/PL020950.HTM

Since I'm not sure if you meant at 16:40 on the clock or after 16:40 had elapsed (3:20 left?), here are the events happening at those times. At 16:51 Hamilton had a takeaway in our zone. at 16:31, Fayne hit King in our zone, but Sekera was no longer on the ice. Somehow in those 20 seconds we got the puck and got our defensemen up the ice so it seems unlikely that 11 seconds after a Hamilton takeaway Sekera made some rookie mistake bad enough that he couldn't get off the ice in the next 9 seconds. At 3:31, Klinkhammer had a shot on goal from the neutral zone, and at 3:11, McNabb hit Hendricks in our defensive zone...and of course, we scored 10 seconds later when going up ice, Sekera had hopped off at that point. I guess its' possible that 11 seconds after Klinkhammer's shot Sekera did something....but in either case, whatever it was wasn't even bad enough to show up in the official game play-by-play at all, not as a giveaway, not as a takeaway, not as a hit, nothing. So even if there was a minor error there, I have a hard time believing Sekera made a bad enough rookie mistake that he was awful for the whole game, which was your evaluation.

On Top of that: http://naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20142015&game=20950

Sekera, in his third game with us, logged 16:36 TOI (4th behind D/M and Regehr, and a couple of which were on the powerplay), posted the 4th highest CF on the team behind D/M and Kopitar despite many less minutes on ice, had the 2nd lowest CA, and a CF% of 58.62%, good for 6th on the team. He DID have a high number of offensive zone starts in comparison, but that makes sense due to easing him into his role (as does the lack of PK time), though it compares favorably to Voynov's historical utilization as well.

Not bad for a guy getting acclimated. I really thought he was going to break through with a point last night, loved his puck movement on the powerplays and out of the zone, and I loved his ability to just get low and ride off checks with the puck (really only did it twice that I can remember).

Negatives, I'm having a hard time finding them. I maybe agree that he maybe needs to protect himself better because he DOES get hit HARD, but it doesn't seem to faze him, I'd like to see a little more offense directly, and I'm not going to criticise his D because 1. it's been solid and 2. he's still learning the system and while his first two games were with the Regehr tire fire his last one was bullying a junior varsity opponent. Hard to clean much from these 3 games is really my point, but the stats support that there's much more good than bad so far.

Go check out the video when it becomes available. It was after 16:40. The play by play notes he comes on the ice at 17:32, so it is consistent.

Its not about Suckera protecting himself, its about him not getting knocked down and losing the puck in the d-zone. If we face the Ducks in the playoffs and he is given 20 minutes of ice time we will be in a world of trouble.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Go check out the video when it becomes available. It was after 16:40. The play by play notes he comes on the ice at 17:32, so it is consistent.

Its not about Suckera protecting himself, its about him not getting knocked down and losing the puck in the d-zone. If we face the Ducks in the playoffs and he is given 20 minutes of ice time we will be in a world of trouble.

News flash: The Kings are going to be in a world of trouble facing the Ducks, WPG, Nash, Hawks, .... Quick can beat the Sharks/Blues by himself.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept

I totally disagree with the notion that we are going to be in a world of trouble if Sekera gets 20 mins a game in the playoffs. The guy is a superior skater more so than everyone except Doughty on D at this point and I think even more so than Voynov. Sekera is learning an entirely new system and style of play. Every time a new Dman comes along there are always people who call them out for sucking or being weak or some other short sighted reactionary view. The truth is that we have won our 2 cups and been the best in the game the past 3 seasons with one exception because of the fact that we play a very specific system and it isn't easy to pick up. We could discuss the manner in which it works but in the end we will end up with the same conclusion. You see where Sekera is today and judge his entire potential based on the 4 games he has played for us and several others of us look at where he is today and see how very good he is going to be once he gets used to our system. Time will tell which pov is right but I like what I am seeing out of Sekera so far allot and can only see how much he has improved each game he has played with us. He has had his mistakes but he is getting past them every game.

The guy is an excellent skater and has exceptional reaction times. He is getting it. I don't know, give the guy ten games at least before dropping the hammer on him.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Guys we've specifically paid a (2016)1st for Sekera to come in and singlehandedly drag the team down and ensure we'd miss the playoffs - thereby maintaining our 2015 1st. Its a good draft and we're taking no chances.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sekera is struggling with the Pace of Western Conference Hockey, just like RR did when he joined the Kings.

The Kings play at a high pace, even if it doesn't look like it.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Still plenty of time for him to be a contributor but let's be honest, objectively Sekera has been mediocre at best. Not horrid, not good, just mediocre. Still plenty of time for him to change that though. We didn't get him him for game 65 of the regular season.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
:laugh:

worst game in a Kings uni tonight, he was all over the place. Lots of good but lots of bad.

You can tell he does not feel comfortable on the right. Once A-Mart comes back, they need to move this guy to the left. He got overpowered a bit, but a good game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You can tell he does not feel comfortable on the right. Once A-Mart comes back, they need to move this guy to the left. He got overpowered a bit, but a good game.

there was a point where Quick left it behind the net but on Sekera's backhand and he froze...I could see his "oh, ****" face :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Still plenty of time for him to be a contributor but let's be honest, objectively Sekera has been mediocre at best. Not horrid, not good, just mediocre. Still plenty of time for him to change that though. We didn't get him him for game 65 of the regular season.

Nope, objectively he's been our 3rd best defenseman since he got here by the metrics behind Doughty and Muzzin.

Ron*

I was a bit disappointed with his play tonight, but I have confidence he is going to be an integral part of this Cup run.

The pace of these games have been unbelievable. Edmonton, Montreal...lots of skating going on out there. He will adjust in time.

Have some confidence. This was a great pickup and it will become clear in the coming weeks and months, all the way through the third week of June.

Ron*

wondering how long it will be until I feel good about Sekera being on this team.

Hopefully the NEXT game (or 2nd game at latest)

He's playing Eastern teams now...saw one tonight and sees one on Saturday, so he should be familiar with them.

Ron*

He made some good plays, and quite a few bad plays as well. So in a nutshell, he fits right in with the other dolts on the blueline.

Jesus Christ dude, will you just stop?

I don't remember you like this in past seasons...you are down on every player and every game...and this is a news flash: we won this game. So cheer up.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I wish they'd give him his correct side for a few shifts and let him do the heavy lifting. When they were together Regehr was handling the puck like his stick is upside down, never mind the state of his backhand.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was a bit disappointed with his play tonight, but I have confidence he is going to be an integral part of this Cup run.

The pace of these games have been unbelievable. Edmonton, Montreal...lots of skating going on out there. He will adjust in time.

Have some confidence. This was a great pickup and it will become clear in the coming weeks and months, all the way through the third week of June.

That's true, they have all been fast games, and heavy games in some cases too (WPG, Anaheim)

He's playing Eastern teams now...saw one tonight and sees one on Saturday, so he should be familiar with them.

He might be familiar with them but im more concerned about him being familiar with us. Wasn't used to playing go go go with Carolina it seems...but I love how he slows it down and his passes are crisp and accurate...at least, when the puck isn't bouncing, haha. Someone else mentioned Regehr, I would LOVE to see what our coaches could do with him with an offseason/training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad