Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's not fair and you know it Brad. Call them what you want but they were a 1st and a kid we just drafted in the 2nd round eight months ago. People aren't necessarily upset about trading a 1st and a decent prospect, they are upset if they feel the Kings could have derived more from them than a rental like Sekera. Maybe they could have, maybe not, but it's not unreasonable for people to feel we didn't get the best bang for the buck and voice their displeasure over it.

That's fair. I'll also say I was the one that said I'd prefer Petry for the price-to-rental investment and because he's righty, that last time we had a 1st we got Pearson out of it, and that McKeown should end up being a righty Martinez. However, it is most likely a LOW first and a guy who wouldn't see our roster for 3 years in the utmost optimistic scenario. NONE of that helps us this year, it arguably doesn't help us for the next few years either. I haven't seen many people make the argument that we could have gotten more mileage out of those assets because I think that's a reasonable one; my post was worded strongly for the people who are already going "bust, Sekera sux," "what a waste of assets," and the other similar posts that are ignoring the context that is this team and their situation from 2012-now and the near future.

As an aside knowing our track record with picks I'm glad we retained a 2nd and gave up the 1st ;)

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
We traded a 1st and McKoewn for 23 games + possible playoff drive + the opportunity to speak to him ahead of UFA.

Look at the Gaborik deal, it gave us a chance to talk to him first and it lead to us signing him. It's pretty doubtful Gaborik would have signed a similar cap friendly deal with LA if he had hit the open market.

A better example is Jaroslav Halak this off-season. Washington traded him to the Islanders after the season was over and he was a UFA to be in a few weeks. The Islanders did this to get the chance to negotiate with him ahead of UFA and it worked, they resigned him.

To suggest the extended window to having sole negotiation rights with a player isn't a value part of the puzzle is wrong.

Except that, if we really want to re-sign him, we have all the time between now and July 1st to discuss that with him. We'd have the advantage in any negotiations. You don't recall teams trading for FA's rights? There's a reason for that.

Now, I doubt that's a huge impetus behind this trade, and I don't think anyone truly disagrees that the trade was for this year alone, anything else we get is a bonus...but look what happened with Gaborik. The point was to plug a major hole on a team that looks ready to do some damage again, do something special in history, and continue their legacy. If that's not worth a 1st and a player that wouldn't see the Kings for another half-decade, I don't know what is.

I still don't know why anyone's freaking out about Sekera for a mystery box and a 5-year-away prospect, never mind evaluating his worth after 2 of the worst games the entire Kings team has played lately (especially when the winning streak made us forget that we're still missing major pieces in Pearson, Martinez, and possibly Voynov).

The Kings are now actively pursuing a deal with Sekera (I don't see Lombardi making a deal like he has without the intention of trying to lock the guy down) and they are the only team allowed to do so between now and July 1st. If that is ludicrous then I guess I disagree.

Obviously I think you guys are right on the money. Hard to think that the part of our being able to negotiate exclusively with Sekera until 7/1 is so easily discounted by some.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
One thing that is being overlooked is the 5.5 - 6 number was most likely attached to Carolina. I see him signing here for 4.25 - 4.75 depending on term.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, and here's the other thing--it allows us to possibly get him at a discount like RP is saying, but it also allows us to see if it's even worth re-signing him. What if we nevertr aded for him and just signed him as a Voynov replacement in the offseason but he sucked miserably? This is an evaluation period, just like Gaborik...and being Gaborik's buddy, I'm sure we could lock him down for the Voynov caphit give or take if he has to replace him. Maybe more on the high 4s than low 4s, but still.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Well, and here's the other thing--it allows us to possibly get him at a discount like RP is saying, but it also allows us to see if it's even worth re-signing him. What if we nevertr aded for him and just signed him as a Voynov replacement in the offseason but he sucked miserably? This is an evaluation period, just like Gaborik...and being Gaborik's buddy, I'm sure we could lock him down for the Voynov caphit give or take if he has to replace him. Maybe more on the high 4s than low 4s, but still.

Another excellent point.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
:laugh:

Reminds me of the one guy on Price is Right who always slewfoots the previous guy by one dollar

price_is_right_one_dollar_bid.jpg

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
One thing that is being overlooked is the 5.5 - 6 number was most likely attached to Carolina. I see him signing here for 4.25 - 4.75 depending on term.

IT wasn't tied to Carolina , it was thru him and his agent who took an NHL pulse and merited that as the going value for his services based on other defensemen and their rate. And that won't change. Where he decides to sign is up to him. It isn't easy going from the East Coast to the West Coast for a defensemen, its a huge adjustment. He's about to turn 29, so this next contract will the big one for him, he'll be looking for the most $$ he can net over 7 years or so. And why wouldn't he sign in Montreal, or another elite EC team if they offered him more ?
It's something he'll most likely think about and decide on in July, after he plays more games in the Kings system and determines if it's the right fit for him.
But anything under 5 isn't realistic, not for where he is , age and career wise and what the market is. He'll be able to get 6 elsewhere and there are elite teams who would step up, Detroit being one. The Wings didn't want to cough up the 1st rounder and prospect, but that will change in July if they decide. As the last few weeks have shown, defensemen are a premium and he was heavily sought after. Given how much of him I've seen, living on the East Coast and watching a lot of hockey, I didn't understand why so many teams were after him, other than he was available and/or they were desperate. He's good, but he's not elite and certainly not worth giving up a 1st round pick and top prospect, cudos to the GM's who bowed out of that asking price.

Last edited:

bluedevil58*

man you guys are so critical. What happened to giving a person time to adjust to a new system? By the way, he only just moved from one coast to the other. That's not a big change or anything...

Captain Mittens*

man you guys are so critical. What happened to giving a person time to adjust to a new system? By the way, he only just moved from one coast to the other. That's not a big change or anything...
We have our share of crazies, just like very fan base.

He is fitting in just fine and looking better each game. He'll be more than fine.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Instant gratification generation. Just ignore them like most of us do.

bluedevil58*

Instant gratification generation. Just ignore them like most of us do.

As a Canes fan it's just laughable to see someone say:

"He can't skate well."

or

"He can get the puck out of his zone or through the neutral zone."

Captain Mittens*

As a Canes fan it's just laughable to see someone say:

"He can't skate well."

or

"He can get the puck out of his zone or through the neutral zone."

For the record, (sane)Kings fans laugh at those too. Sekera is instanly one of our best skaters and passers.

Brown's skating should be the one they are complaining about and Muzzin makes more turnovers than a bakery

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
We have our share of crazies, just like very fan base.

He is fitting in just fine and looking better each game. He'll be more than fine.

100% perfectly correct ^. Sek is looking fine. He doing what human beings do when thrown into a new situation which is exactly what happens when someone is dealt. He will be more than fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad