Proposal: Laine?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Have a majority opinion on HFF. Whatever the majority of a thread says that's the truth. Btw Jarnkrok is Zetterberg 2.0....
Let's try this another way then.

Say Detroit trades for Laine.
And he scores 35 goals a year.
And he's also poor enough defensively to account for 15-20 goals against.

You're proposing that a net of 15-20 goals for is worth around $9M per season? Because that's the starting point to sign him long term. (And I'd hope that after parting with significant assets to land him, it's not just to let him walk in a year, or trade him for similar assets that were spent to get him here in the first place.)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-10-18_23-23-46.png

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Let's try this another way then.

Say Detroit trades for Laine.
And he scores 35 goals a year.
And he's also poor enough defensively to account for 15-20 goals against.

You're proposing that a net of 15-20 goals for is worth around $9M per season? Because that's the starting point to sign him long term. (And I'd hope that after parting with significant assets to land him, it's not just to let him walk in a year, or trade him for similar assets that were spent to get him here in the first place.)
So the other 4 players and the goalie don't have anything to do with all these hypothetical goals all being Laine's fault to fit your narrative? LOL Umm k.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
So the other 4 players and the goalie don't have anything to do with all these hypothetical goals all being Laine's fault to fit your narrative? LOL Umm k.

Quick question: Do you think that when a goal is scored in a hockey game, equal blame should be spread across the G, LD, RD, C, LW, and RW every time?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We have just been tanking bad for two years and already people are losing their minds. Buckle up and settle in for the long haul, because we will still be real bad in 3-4 years as our hopeful blue chip prospects develop.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Jets fan here...coming in peace.

Just noticed you were discussing our player.

A few comments;

Love Larkin but I don't see him wanting to leave Michigan at all.

The player I would ask for is Seider....he looks incredible.

Lucas Raymond is also very impressive...talk starts around Raymond/Seider.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

A few comments;

Actually the talk ends abruptly around Raymond/Seider.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

A few comments;

Would you take Raymond, Joe Veleno, and a second round pick next year? Because if you can renegotiate Laine's contract first, at say 6 years at $8 million per year, then sign-and-trade him, I'd go for that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No just on Patrick Laine.
There's nothing wrong with debating the degree (exactly how many goals for versus goals against a given player is responsible for). But do you at least acknowledge the concept that, if Laine does an amazing job scoring goals, but a lousy job at nearly everything else, that that's a factor in estimating his overall value versus the assets needed to acquire him and the contract likely required to retain him?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would you take Raymond, Joe Veleno, and a second round pick next year? Because if you can renegotiate Laine's contract first, at say 6 years at $8 million per year, then sign-and-trade him, I'd go for that.

First, I don't see Laine interested in signing a long term deal at a lesser dollar amount than he is likely asking for in a flat cap landscape. I can't imagine he and his representation would bite on term at a lesser valuation. He's either getting a raise and a chance to cash in after the cap begins to increase again, or he's signing for a lofty price with term.

As for the deal itself, this would be my hell. I'll just leave it at that.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
There is no denying Laine's offensive talent, but he would not be a good fit for this team throughout the next years. The Red Wings do not need a top winger right now, because they will not be competing next season anyway, and they need a top C, D and G more than a winger. Laine will also command not only valuable assets for the trade, but a sizable salary, which is similar to upper-tier free agents like Hall. So here's hoping nothing happens in that direction.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: jkutswings

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Laine is already making $6,750,000 the odds of him signing for 6 years at $8 million is pretty slim i doubt he'd take anything less then 7 years at $9.5 million give or take.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I wouldn't do this as a Wings fan. Of course we can't expect Raymond to be as good as Laine. But he's 4 years younger and while Laine is getting paid a big contract, Raymond will be on an ELC.

I can see arguments for moving Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi and such for Laine. I don't think we can move players like Raymond, Seider, Zadina and our next couple of 1sts unless we're getting back a same-aged piece.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There is no denying Laine's offensive talent, but he would not be a good fit for this team throughout the next years. The Red Wings do not need a top winger right now, because they will not be competing next season anyway, and they need a top C, D and G more than a winger. Laine will also command not only valuable assets for the trade, but a sizable salary, which is similar to upper-tier free agents like Hall. So here's hoping nothing happens in that direction.

Gruß,
BSHH

Laine is only 22. Zadina is 20. Laine isn't out of line with the group of guys a lot of folks have been talking about as the core moving forward. I think it all comes down to the cost of the deal, as the contract cost doesn't concern me a whole lot. Lets say we pay him $9m per and he earns it. well, we just set the bar for what Zadina, Raymond, etc. have to do to be paid at that level. And if they reach it, then Laine becomes tradeable.

But it comes down to the trade cost. We have a jets fan saying they'd want to start at Seider/Larkin, which is clearly a no go for us. Personally, I think someone like Raymond or Zadina would have little interest because they aren't ready to be plugged into the lineup and contribute. The Jets have to believe they are in their window right now. So, I go back to my offer of Mantha+, which I think is a very doable trade from the Wings angle. Swapping one wing for another, probably end up paying a bit more on the deal but getting a guy who has already demonstrated a higher upside and better fits the age of the team going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad