Proposal: Laine?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't do that but how so? We are head and shoulders the worst team with them...

we’re left with no top center, mantha has posted comparable numbers to Laine for two consecutive seasons and Bertuzzi is an excellent complementary player. Turning those three into enigmatic winger unequivocally makes this team worse.

As far as getting this team to contender we’d giving up e top 6 players for 1. Robbing peter to pay Paul without actually getting a substantial upgrade back

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Would be crazy not to take the 2nd deal. As far as the first, that's a no-brainer as well assuming the + isn't a Wings 1st or Larkin/Seider/Raymond. Otherwise the biggest piece in either deal is Mantha/Zadina and Laine is a tremendous upgrade on both in terms of goal-scoring.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It was a bit of hyperbole, but you can argue all 3 of our “top line” players are 2nd liners on contending teams.

Nah, Mantha and Larkin are top line players. You dont want them being the best players on your contending team's top line, but they can play there just fine. Their line has been statistically one of the best in the league for two seasons in a row now...

as for laine, i'd hesitate to trade larkin for him 1 for 1....hes as one dimensional as it gets in this league and hes no event netting 40 a year so that one dimension isnt worth all the drawbacks (IMO at least)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Laine was an injury risk, or was tearing up another league, but you didn't know if you could convince him to sign in the NHL, or it was some other reason that stood a decent chance of getting fixed, I could understand it.

But his issue is the 4 inches between his ears. He doesn't give a crap about dedicating himself to his craft, and just wants $10M a season to coast on (a tremendous amount of) natural talent.

He's AA with a higher ceiling. Hard pass.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I would love Laine on the Wings but I don't see how bringing him to Detroit improves us. We lack quality NHL players and are rebuilding, trading our prospects and young players for one winger doesnt improve us. He may be our best player.. But he is on a pretty decent Winnipeg team and wants no part of it. Is he going to have a better attitude at an empty LCA, playing with even less talent? Doubtful. Continue what we are doing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would do the tweet trade, but I am more than sure Winnipeg would want more than that.

Reactions: WaW

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
$9-10M (expected salary) for a truly 1-dimensional winger, Nope. Not on an Yzerman run team.

With Covid, I don't think he is getting 10 per season. I think 8.5 is more in the range of what he will have to settle for and only maybe 9 at most.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
22, 40 goal scorer, face of the franchise.

You can take our entire top line for that.

No that is complete overkill and would gut us as a team. We gain a goal scorer, but lose a great two way center who plays in all situations. We would definitely lose that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad