Proposal: Laine?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If we are gonna blow our wad metaphorically speaking,use those few & precious assets to gain a young 2C, preferably 2-way/RHS/with possible but improbable 1C upside...Or even a #1/#2LD. People are throwing around Mantha, Veleno, 1st etc. for a 1-dimensional video game addict who'll want $9-$10m & will be the most expensive whipping boy we've ever had (based on salary).

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I am just saying if we are going to pay the price for Laine, let’s actually go super aggressive and try to get a guy like Barkov who is a truly elite C. Instead of picking a sniper wing for a high price, why shouldn’t we look for a top C at a crazy price? If we want to throw a bunch of assets at acquiring a young, elite piece, let’s get one that actually addresses the crazy dearth of talent at important places.

Two of our three best prospects are high end wingers. Shouldn’t you hope/think that Raymond and Zadina will hit? Do we have a true 1c? If you consider Larkin to be one... do we have a true 2C? Veleno and Rasmussen might have promise, but them hitting that level is pretty damn optimistic.
You also said Yzerman will be pretty much the same as Holland. Trust me Yzerman will at least "kick the tires" on Laine. This team is desperate for HIGH END TALENT! And all those hypothetical offers with these prospects (whom which almost never pan out the way we hope) can always be counter offered.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You can’t force Winnipeg to trade him to you. For the same reasons you want Laine, they want to keep him. Or they want to get a f***ing haul for him.

You aren’t going to get Patrik Laine at 22 for Mantha + other assets that won’t hurt the rebuild.

Hell, I don’t even think Winnipeg would be interested in Mantha. Would you want a package centered on Seider, the 2021 1st, or Larkin +? Because that’s a far more realistic price than Mantha + a GR C (Veleno, Ras, etc) + a 2nd.

Yzerman is a good GM, he’s not a miracle worker.

I mean, fine, ask the price. Don’t be surprised if it’s too damn high. Teams don’t tend to trade a Laine for a cheap price even if that player wants off the roster.
So on one hand you guys want to say Laine is littered with flaws then on the other his asking price is through the roof. Which one is it again?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
WTH? A Virus? I hope you're kidding.

It's from DobberHockey.com. An article on Mantha & his "injury label" from Oct.18th. You can hover over any link & it'll tell you the URL.
That was a joke dude chill out. Anyway I don't trust Mantha to stay healthy

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So on one hand you guys want to say Laine is littered with flaws then on the other his asking price is through the roof. Which one is it again?

It is both. It is possible to be a flawed player and be an expensive player.

Why are you deciding to be obtuse about this? When it comes to scoring goals, Patrik Laine has absolutely been elite. That is inarguable.

If he wasn’t flawed, why would he be on the market? The flaws are why a guy like him is even available to trade for at all. The price is through the roof for all the reasons you want him. 22, elite goal scorer, athletic, etc. etc. etc. think about it. If you are this driven to trade for him... wouldn’t it make sense that fans in Minnesota might be? Fans in Philadelphia, so on and so forth?

You also said Yzerman will be pretty much the same as Holland. Trust me Yzerman will at least "kick the tires" on Laine. This team is desperate for HIGH END TALENT! And all those hypothetical offers with these prospects (whom which almost never pan out the way we hope) can always be counter offered.

And I don’t get the anger about this. I’ve literally said “Yeah, Yzerman will probably call and get the price. That’s literally his job”. But if he calls and gets an asking price on a Corvette (Laine) and he gets quoted a price of a Bugatti or a Ferrari (basically just a really high price), he will move on.

Don’t make the fact that you want Patrik Laine on this team because he’s a good player blind you to sense. I mean, don’t you remember the price of Jacob Trouba from Winnipeg a couple off seasons ago? “Two high end forwards+ And that’s for a guy with far less caliber than Laine.

Lastly, Laine is worth a high price... but he’s not so good as to now break the plan of the rebuild for him and even though he would probably like to be traded out of Winnipeg, they have no reason to deal him. How does “he’s good but not so good he’s worth blowing the rebuild plan to hell” equate to “he’s riddled with flaws”?

He is undeniably an elite talent. He’s also a talent that would cost us several future assets and a very big contract investment which runs counter to our rebuild plan. At a position where you could at the very minimum argue we have our 2nd and 3rd best prospects

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am not sure it has been mentioned yet I just thought I would add this to the discussion.

Laine's UFA age is only 5 years away. It's going to take at least 5 years to make up the assets we would lose trading for him making the wings a train wreck for most if not all of Laine's pre UFA status. So what's to stop Laine from getting to 2026 and being like so long and thanks for all the fish. Hi scontract is still 1 more year there is no garuntee we can keep him signed past UFA

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am not sure it has been mentioned yet I just thought I would add this to the discussion.

Laine's UFA age is only 5 years away. It's going to take at least 5 years to make up the assets we would lose trading for him making the wings a train wreck for most if not all of Laine's pre UFA status. So what's to stop Laine from getting to 2026 and being like so long and thanks for all the fish. Hi scontract is still 1 more year there is no garuntee we can keep him signed past UFA
You just need the proper reward, based on his mood:

1g3evm9fmzu11.jpg

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad