Proposal: Laine?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So that means he isn't worth Mantha? Lmao. You guys overvalue our average to mediocre players so much. Mantha will never in his life score 40 goals....

You wouldn’t accept my assessment of value vs my assessment of which player is better even if we got into that discussion.

Just because Laine is a better player doesn’t mean he’s a better value. I’m not saying that Laine wouldn’t be “worth” Mantha. But like I said, you aren’t interested in understanding what people are actually saying.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Larkin and Hronek are the main pieces from our team, if any trade ever is completed.

Quite sure many would hate those pieces to go, but those are the pieces.

Also think those aren't the best assets Jets are gonna get, so Laine goes elsewhere.

Jets would accept Larkin for Laine straight up without hesitation.

Larkin is a young low end 1C/top notch 2C on a very cost controlled contract for the next 3 years. Do you know how hard that is to get?

Jets having Scheifele and Larkin down the middle would make them very happy. Go ask Jets fan if they take Larkin straight up. They will.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You wouldn’t accept my assessment of value vs my assessment of which player is better even if we got into that discussion.

Just because Laine is a better player doesn’t mean he’s a better value. I’m not saying that Laine wouldn’t be “worth” Mantha. But like I said, you aren’t interested in understanding what people are actually saying.
You get what you pay for. Do you understand that? 22 yr old players with almost 150 NHL goals don't grow on trees. This team can't score. Do you understand that? Are you interested in understanding Mantha, Larkin and Bertuzzi aren't valued around the league as much as you guys value them?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Patrick Laine is 22 and he has put up 60+ point in three of his first four seasons in the NHL.

I make that trade immediately, so that we give the Jets as little time as possible to realize what a terrible deal that would be.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What are you talking about?

A young primadona scoring winger drafted top 4 from the Winnipeg jets who repeatedly publicly clashed with the organization, who was eventually traded(for a good return) only to be traded again for less return and never fulfill the early promise they once showed

Same player

No thx

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You get what you pay for. Do you understand that? 22 yr old players with almost 150 NHL goals don't grow on trees. This team can't score. Do you understand that? Are you interested in understanding Mantha, Larkin and Bertuzzi aren't valued around the league as much as you guys value them?

Let’s just drop it and agree that there are different ways of determining value. You are going to keep talking about Laine being a more valuable player in absolute terms, which nobody is really arguing. He’s young, he’s talented, he’s a former #2 pick. At surface level, you will have to pay to get Laine.

In relative terms, the gap is smaller. You already own Mantha or Zadina’s rights. They aren’t going to sign a 9-10 million dollar contract. If Laine figures it out again, he’s a good value, but if he doesn’t, his value isn’t going to be as high because of the cost.

Absolute vs. Relative value. Both have a place, but considering how cautious and patient our rebuild has been under Yzerman, chasing Laine is not anything that I feel makes sense.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Mantha, Zadina, Raymond.... we have scoring wingers in the organization. Laine has higher goal-scoring upside than all of them, but he's also a head case, the most incomplete player of the four, and will be the highest-paid. Nah, as a rebuilding team, you don't go out of your way to overpay for a flawed player who's one (very) good characteristic doesn't address what projects to be a big organizational need when they finally become competitive.

Giving up assets for a top-6 center (need), or a top defenseman (need) is one thing. But a one-dimensional player in a less important position that's not as big of a need? Easy pass.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
These personal attacks are nice.

Not analyzing the hockeyplayer but the person.

ROR was also a primadonna, who did think too much too early about his worth. Then he was there raising the Cup towards the roof, when somebody did finally believe in him.

It's not a personal attack if it's based on behaviour. It's up to him to change the narrative not me pointing it out.

Furthermore I do analyze the person as part of the hockey player

He has publicly voiced displeasure to the media regarding teammates, linemates, usage, trades etc. I have a problem with that especially from young players.

Its not the sort of attitude I support or want.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Let’s just drop it and agree that there are different ways of determining value. You are going to keep talking about Laine being a more valuable player in absolute terms, which nobody is really arguing. He’s young, he’s talented, he’s a former #2 pick. At surface level, you will have to pay to get Laine.

In relative terms, the gap is smaller. You already own Mantha or Zadina’s rights. They aren’t going to sign a 9-10 million dollar contract. If Laine figures it out again, he’s a good value, but if he doesn’t, his value isn’t going to be as high because of the cost.

Absolute vs. Relative value. Both have a place, but considering how cautious and patient our rebuild has been under Yzerman, chasing Laine is not anything that I feel makes sense.
Laine has more absolute and relative value. He is like quads vs a "full house". Get it?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You should watch Moneyball on Netflix, Laine isn't the type of player you should blow your wad on.
I've seen moneyball. His contract isn't our wad. And my suggested trade was something like Mantha or Zadina + like Cholo +2nd rounder...

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
How would people feel about trading our 2021 first round pick, with no protection, plus Veleno (since WPG needs a center), for Laine?

Not saying I'm for it, yet. I'll wait until I see the your opinions. I trust your collective judgment more than I do my own.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
How would people feel about trading our 2021 first round pick, with no protection, plus Veleno (since WPG needs a center), for Laine?

Not saying I'm for it, yet. I'll wait until I see the your opinions. I trust your collective judgment more than I do my own.

Too risky. Definitely a hard pass for me. Take out Veleno and still no we are likely dead last again next year our #1 is essentially untouchable.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Do we have any info on what sort of return Winnipeg is looking for? I’m guessing a couple young guys with lots of potential like Mantha + Veleno?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Nope

I trust the process of SY drafting and developing true Red Wing type players

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do we have any info on what sort of return Winnipeg is looking for? I’m guessing a couple young guys with lots of potential like Mantha + Veleno?
They need RHD and 2C, and the Wings have nothing to offer besides Seider. I don't see a deal happening with the Wings.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

It's tempting but I would vote against it. Certainly you can never expect a Laine level player with a pick, but it could be first overall and will be a player 4 years younger than Laine. To me our most valuable assets (in order) are 2022 first, 2021 first, Raymond, Zadina, Seider, Larkin, Hronek, Mantha. Those the next couple of firsts will hopefully be two big cornerstone pieces for us.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
To me our most valuable assets (in order) are 2022 first, 2021 first, Raymond, Zadina, Seider, Larkin, Hronek, Mantha.

I'd never thought of it that way.

I suppose you're right, in an "expected value" sort of way -- we'll almost certainly be bottom-two this year, bottom-4 the next, so those picks could be number one overall, at worst 5th overall next year and something like 8th overall the next, and next year's draft is supposed to be very good for the top ten prospects.

Wow, that's really depressing, honestly. Our most valuable assets are, right now, playing "Fortnite" (maybe against Laine), eating Funyuns, and debating whether to invite that red-headed girl to junior prom. I could conceivably die of old age before this team doesn't suck.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad