Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PLD would fill a hole for the Jets no doubt. And Laine is at a position we have an excess of (kinda). So I can see why it makes sense for the Jets to make the trade.

But I think they’d still rather hold onto Laine (i.e. they value him more).

You’ll get a lot of “OnE DiMeNsIoNaL” replies from the usual suspects who didn’t watch Laine at all last season, though.

You don't think if Chevy was offered PLD for Laine he's say no?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My point of view would be that if you already have good C in your team, goalscorers with Laine's talent are very rare species. Then again if you absolutely need top 2 C to be successful PLD might be more valuable for your team. In SC-contenders I'd say Laine is more valuable than PLD most of the time. Could be wrong obviously...

"if you already have a good C in your team" says basically what I'm saying, so I guess we more or less agree.

My main point is: I think other teams could and would put together a more appealing package for the Jackets. If they don't, then I don't think Laine as a starting point is enough to make Jarmo pull the trigger at this time. Say he hasn't been able to persuade PLD to stay and now it's the trade deadline NEXT year? Maybe he does it.

Just my opinion of course, Jarmo might value Laine over PLD - but I don't.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Is this how most people see it? Laine has scored 138 goals in the NHL at the age of 22. There can't be many ahead of him in that category considering every player that ever played in the league and while he struggled during 18-19 it's quite reasonable to think he'll be one of the best goalscorers of the league in the next decade or so. He's just too talented not to be (excl. injuries of course).

While generally C>W I think Dubois has to improve some to be considered clearly the more valuable player of the two.
Laine can be a much better player than Dubois while also being less valuable for CBJ.

That's the problem with trading an elite wingers for an elite center or Dman. In a vacuum, sure Laine is better than Dubois. But to trade for an elite winger (pretty much 1 for 1), you need a team with 2 elite centers and a really good 3rd otherwise you screw up your lineup and you end up with a 1 line team. I've seen what a 1 line team can do, they lose.

Reactions: urho

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You don't think if Chevy was offered PLD for Laine he's say no?
Too many double negatives for me answer that question yes or no (sorry, I got confused), but: I do not believe Chevy would trade Laine for PLD straight up. This is just speculation on my part though. I have no inside knowledge.

Reactions: Fro

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I believe PLD has more value than Laine without a doubt. How much, I don't know.

I doubt it.

PLD is the better two way player. But Laine is just so explosive; with few equals around the league.

I don't think most GMs would choose a solid 2-way center (on a cup caliber team most likely 2C) over a potential 50 goal scorer that's likely a perennial all star.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
The whole point of Laine wanting out of WPG is so Statsny is not his center
That isn't even close to the truth. Laine was upset that he had to play with Little in previous seasons. He wanted out before the jets ever traded to get Statsny back from Vegas. When he played with Statsny in 2018 he had a ton of success. Part of the reason they traded to get Statsny back was that they wanted to try and make Laine happy.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I get that Columbus needs centers, but that's the only reason any Columbus fans should be scoffing at that idea. Laine is more valuable than PLD in general and if I'm the Jets, I want Columbus to add more.

Of course, this'll get a bunch of outraged responses that PLD only doesn't score more because he's so focused on defense (as if Laine isn't regularly the first guy back).

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I get that Columbus needs centers, but that's the only reason any Columbus fans should be scoffing at that idea. Laine is more valuable than PLD in general and if I'm the Jets, I want Columbus to add more.

Of course, this'll get a bunch of outraged responses that PLD only doesn't score more because he's so focused on defense (as if Laine isn't regularly the first guy back).
If C's were so much more valuable than wingers than wingers wouldn't get a sniff in the top half of every first round. The position is more valuable I'm not denying that, but I think it's way overblown on here. 3 years from now if Byfeild or Stutzel are 10-25 points behind Lafreniere are they more valuable because of position? If so why were they not taken ahead of the winger?
Also any trade discussion involving Laine it's important to note that he should be valued at his lowest point and any player coming back should be valued at their highest potential.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

-- A few more reasons in addition to the center/winger issue.

How do you imagine it would work with Laine in Columbus. Like Laine doesn't get his favorite linemates 100% of the time and so he walks into Torts' office to tell him to fix it. How do you think that conversation would go? Or say he has his agent try to pressure the team to accommodate Laine? Jets fans have amazingly gotten used to such shenanigans but it goes against everything they've built in Columbus.

Who exactly is going to make him happy in Columbus? Max Domi? Is he even on the team long term? Bryan Little would have been a good offensive center by Columbus standards, and Nik Ehlers one of the best forwards they've ever seen. And if that isn't good enough for Laine, then nothing in Columbus would be.

I know Laine has improved defensively, he's not the worst liability in the league anymore, but last year I still saw plenty of inconsistency from him. He takes games off. He's not up to Torts' standards. He's going to sit from time to time and have to get worked over. Is he the type of player to do whatever it takes or does he want special treatment? He's a *special* player and that is a risky type to add.

Laine can be a much better player than Dubois while also being less valuable for CBJ.

That's the problem with trading an elite wingers for an elite center or Dman. In a vacuum, sure Laine is better than Dubois. But to trade for an elite winger (pretty much 1 for 1), you need a team with 2 elite centers and a really good 3rd otherwise you screw up your lineup and you end up with a 1 line team. I've seen what a 1 line team can do, they lose.

I'm not sure what this means. These metaphorical vacuum teams don't exist. In the real world I think every team that doesn't have two all-star centers is better off with Dubois than Laine.

If C's were so much more valuable than wingers than wingers wouldn't get a sniff in the top half of every first round. The position is more valuable I'm not denying that, but I think it's way overblown on here. 3 years from now if Byfeild or Stutzel are 10-25 points behind Lafreniere are they more valuable because of position? If so why were they not taken ahead of the winger?
Also any trade discussion involving Laine it's important to note that he should be valued at his lowest point and any player coming back should be valued at their highest potential.

It's not really about center or wing but more about whether you are a play-driver or not, like are you the one who can masterfully run transition for your line and control play from one end to the other. Artemi Panarin is a play-driver, Ryan Strome is not. Lafreniere seems like he'll be a play driver. Patrik Laine is not a play-driver, at least not yet.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Yup. I couldn't agree more. Both being the same age and Laine has outscored Dubois by such a significant amount. There really is no plausible, unbiased argument to be made for Dubois being more valuable.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Laine looks pretty engaged in practise. Heinola has just moved in with him (Finnish connection / mentor). He is contract controlled for a few more seasons. Barring getting blown away by an offer I think the best strategy for the Jets is to get Laine the puck and let him scorer tons of goals.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
...with a d coming back.

sure. I mean I can’t speak to the specifics of who is worth more..... but the dots are there

roslo wants out. He is from CB.
Laine wants out. Jarmo has went after him

wpg need a C. PLD dad apparently works there (it’s a stretch there sure)

What D would CLB have for the jets?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wouldn’t laine and Roslovic for PLD make the most sense here?

Winnipeg Shouldn't add.
PLD will need a plus , player better than Roslovic.

Looking at Scheifele and PLD faceoff history.
Man, Jets will have no top 6 faceoff centers next year. Lowry (if he signs) will be out there in key situations more often that most prefered.
And our top 6 wingers next are 35 year old Wheeler and Mason Appleton.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The best thing for the Jets and for Laine is for him to stay put and play with the enthusiasm and drive he seems to have in training camp.
It's year five for him, a year where many of the games' best break out. (i.e. MacKinnon is the most recent example. - not comparing them)
My gut feeling is that with a contract coming along with trade value that will be heavily weighted on what happens this season he is poised to have a great year.
He looks stronger, faster and healthier in his form then we have seen from him thus far.
Whether he wants to be in Winnipeg or not is irrelevant to him and the team. His performance is in everyone's best interest.

Reactions: Murky

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Laine with 2g 1a 3p with +1. He had 3 hits and 1 block on the night. Was all over the ice and played good defensively. Seemed to have gained more speed during the break. Jumped in on Hanifin after he crosschecked Connor. He looked almost like an old-school powerforward out there. Obviously best player of the game. I`m pretty confident he is NOT available.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Laine with 2g 1a 3p with +1. He had 3 hits and 1 block on the night. Was all over the ice and played good defensively. Seemed to have gained more speed during the break. Jumped in on Hanifin after he crosschecked Connor. He looked almost like an old-school powerforward out there. Obviously best player of the game. I`m pretty confident he is NOT available.
oNe DiMeNsioNaL

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
There is 5 guys on the ice and they are almost equally important every second on ice.. Miss 1 of them and you are in trouble. Centers tend to take care of both end of ice more, but there is defensive selke winning wingers, too. Some times it feels on conversation boards like only centers mattered.. things absolutely do get exaggerated. What matters is having balanced as good as possible 5 guys on the ice same time, whos strenghts overcome their weaknesses together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad