Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Doesn't it make sense to move Laine for PLD since both guys are disgruntled?
In general, yes.

But it works much better for the Jets in terms of positional need than it does for CBJ. They certainly need scoring, but losing PLD would leave a gaping hole in their roster at C.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Doesn't it make sense to move Laine for PLD since both guys are disgruntled?

Very possible three way trade could happen in this situation:

Jets PLD

CBJ top 6 centre from third party, who has good centre depth either as roster players and/or near NHL prospect and can afford to lose one while needing a big body scoring winger.

3rd Party team gets Laine

Pluses added as required to each.

Reactions: Fro

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Very possible three way trade could happen in this situation:

Jets PLD

CBJ top 6 centre from third party, who has good centre depth either as roster players and/or near NHL prospect and can afford to lose one while needing a big body scoring winger.

3rd Party team gets Laine

Pluses added as required to each.
I’m not sure. 3 way trades get proposed on here all the time, but they hardly ever actually happen.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m not sure. 3 way trades get proposed on here all the time, but they hardly ever actually happen.

Agreed they are uncommon, but CBJ don't need a winger back, they need a C back. Certainly not the only Laine trade option out there, I just responded to the one idea.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Agreed they are uncommon, but CBJ don't need a winger back, they need a C back. Certainly not the only Laine trade option out there, I just responded to the one idea.
The last 3 way trade to happen in the NHL involved a couple of big name centers with Duchene and Turris. That trade ended up being a disaster for 2 of the 3 teams involved. I dont think you are going to see a big 3 way trade again any time soon.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I get PLD is a centre, but based on body of work I'm curious why he gets valued higher than Laine so easily.

You can't just say "any centre is better than every winger".

I can also understand relative value to teams - just because PLD is CBJ's #1 centre, doesn't mean he's elite. He'd be #2 on the jets, for example - as well as many other teams.

I'd love him on the jets, and I'd do that deal straight up. But we'd still be trading an elite goal scorer for a #2 C

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I get PLD is a centre, but based on body of work I'm curious why he gets valued higher than Laine so easily.

You can't just say "any centre is better than every winger".

I can also understand relative value to teams - just because PLD is CBJ's #1 centre, doesn't mean he's elite. He'd be #2 on the jets, for example - as well as many other teams.

I'd love him on the jets, and I'd do that deal straight up. But we'd still be trading an elite goal scorer for a #2 C
PLD would fill a hole for the Jets no doubt. And Laine is at a position we have an excess of (kinda). So I can see why it makes sense for the Jets to make the trade.

But I think they’d still rather hold onto Laine (i.e. they value him more).

You’ll get a lot of “OnE DiMeNsIoNaL” replies from the usual suspects who didn’t watch Laine at all last season, though.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Is there in fact and I don't mean Eklund or Finnish reporters etc., anything solid pointing out that Laine is disgruntled? His agent did say things that may far more likely be negotiation tactics and Laine himself looks like the happy go lucky kid he always is - which is pretty far from the a-hole he is presented in the late trade threads. The Eklund thread about the Ducks or Kings is practically full of comedy based on bad rumor - I mean it's Eklund for heavens sake - blown completely out of proportion.

Jets have too many quality wingers so it is obvious they might be looking for a trade. I would be. But I just have yet to see anything but speculation that Laine is, in fact really and not just in the imagination of his fans and haters, disgruntled. As far as I am concerned it is more like a handful of his Finnish fans are disgruntled because Jets do not completely revolve around Laine and other fans are fed up with that. And then add everything else which comes when a player is rumored to be moved. Someone compares a player to another, the fans of the team that the latter plays for get all wound up and there we go. Over and over and over.

No jab at Finns who are great hockey people. But like every one else you get that type of fans along with the others. Not a jab at anyone else either, I like my doze of speculation. But - is there anything solid that Laine is disgruntled?

Reactions: Stubu

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
Laine won't move now, it's too late in the day for all the business. Personally I think the rumours are blown out of all proportion, he's a proven goalscorer, he's done everything asked of him, all we've really had to base any of this on is nothing more than his agents playing hardball wanting a big contract from a team that doesn't usually give them out.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah i kinda like it too. The pick would definitely have to be a 1st though.

Oh I meant 'sounds good' to the Jets rejecting it. I have basically no interest in that package for the Jackets if PLD is going the other way. Let alone adding to PLD.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
PLD > Laine

Is this how most people see it? Laine has scored 138 goals in the NHL at the age of 22. There can't be many ahead of him in that category considering every player that ever played in the league. While he struggled during 18-19 it's quite reasonable to think he'll be one of the best goalscorers of the league for the next decade or so. He's just too talented not to be (excl. injuries of course).

While generally C>W I think Dubois has to improve some to be considered clearly the more valuable player of the two.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is this how most people see it? Laine has scored 138 goals in the NHL at the age of 22. There can't be many ahead of him in that category considering every player that ever played in the league and while he struggled during 18-19 it's quite reasonable to think he'll be one of the best goalscorers of the league in the next decade or so. He's just too talented not to be (excl. injuries of course).

While generally C>W I think Dubois has to improve some to be considered clearly the more valuable player of the two.

If I'm going into the playoffs, I'd rather have PLD on my team than Laine regardless of their scoring resume to date. That's the simple version of my logic for PLD > Laine in terms of trade value.

Reactions: Viqsi

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
If I'm going into the playoffs, I'd rather have PLD on my team than Laine regardless of their scoring resume to date. That's the simple version of my logic for PLD > Laine in terms of trade value.

My point of view would be that if you already have good C in your team, goalscorers with Laine's talent are very rare species. Then again if you absolutely need top 2 C to be successful PLD might be more valuable for your team. In SC-contenders I'd say Laine is more valuable than PLD most of the time. Could be wrong obviously...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad