Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I can't see him wanting to stay in WPG, they're not really cup contenders either (although you never know with hockey).

Landeskog+Kadri+Girard+1st for Laine+Roslovic

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No problem trading Laine from my POV assuming he wants out as agent has suggested (not saying I want to trade him, just wouldn't be the end of the world either). Last year and this year so far (including TC) Laine continues to improve & develop. Needs moving forward are 2C, top pairing D, RW depending what happens with Jack (his only complaint to-date has been lack of top 6 usage which wouldn't be a problem anymore if Laine was gone). I see could multi different types of returns or combos on returns (not all of course):

- Elite level prospect(s), futures heavy return.
- Combo of young very good roster player & good prospect(s).
- 1st Rd pick added to some combo above possibly.

What I can say, UFA's, old players and guys close to UFA need not apply. Don't add any goalie or goalie prospects to any offer. No bottom pairing D needed, we have lots. Jets have three top 4 D & lots of bottom pairing guys.

I would be surprised at any trade happening any time soon, I think Chevy is expecting a huge year from Laine based on a good year last year, training camp and trading for Stastny as his centre. Also wouldn't mind keeping Laine this year & next year, then trading him with a year of RFA left like the Jets did with Trouba & did very well in that trade. But I suspect he will be traded before his last year of RFA.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No problem trading Laine from my POV assuming he wants out as agent has suggested (not saying I want to trade him, just wouldn't be the end of the world either). Last year and this year so far (including TC) Laine continues to improve & develop. Needs moving forward are 2C, top pairing D, RW depending what happens with Jack (his only complaint to-date has been lack of top 6 usage which wouldn't be a problem anymore if Laine was gone). I see could multi different types of returns or combos on returns (not all of course):

- Elite level prospect(s), futures heavy return.
- Combo of young very good roster player & good prospect(s).
- 1st Rd pick added to some combo above possibly.

What I can say, UFA's, old players and guys close to UFA need not apply. Don't add any goalie or goalie prospects to any offer. No bottom pairing D needed, we have lots. Jets have three top 4 D & lots of bottom pairing guys.

I would be surprised at any trade happening any time soon, I think Chevy is expecting a huge year from Laine based on a good year last year, training camp and trading for Stastny as his centre. Also wouldn't mind keeping Laine this year & next year, then trading him with a year of RFA left like the Jets did with Trouba & did very well in that trade. But I suspect he will be traded before his last year of RFA.
Jets would very much regret trading Laine.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Jets would very much regret trading Laine.

We can’t say that until we seen the return. Plus as I stated if Laine wants out then we don’t have a ton of choice, we have three years control including this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dache

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We can’t say that until we seen the return. Plus as I stated if Laine wants out then we don’t have a ton of choice, we have three years control including this year.
Laine is a gamebreaker. I think we can say that, for sure. I mean, look how anemic the team has looked the past couple of games without him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Laine is a gamebreaker. I think we can say that, for sure. I mean, look how anemic the team has looked the past couple of games without him.

You mean our 2nd and 3rd game of the season after a long lay off? You mean with also a top 4 D and 3rd line winger also out of the lineup at the same time? During which time we are also trying out some of kids to determine if they keepers or not?

Is Laine a game breaker? Yes of course he is, 7th in scoring in the NHL since he joined the league. No one is Laine isn't a game breaker, but if he chooses to not to sign.....we have no choice in the matter. If he does that, demands out, Laine will be traded.

I've seen some really bad offers here to your point and some very good ones. Time will tell, but as we seen this past summer Chevy isn't giving him away for peanuts........any team getting him will pay a pretty price and I'm ok with that.......again not really a Jets management choice, it's driven by Laine not Chevy.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
If the jets make the play-offs and Laine does poorly again though that may reduce his value by a lot though.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Laine hasn't had a poor playoff. He was the only good forward against the Blues, was very good in the WCF run, and played a period in the play-ins.

Not to mention last year was his best season yet. His third year he had back & groin injuries. His first two years he was terrible defensively. His fourth year was his best year easily and this year he looks even better in TC and first game.

Reactions: MardyBum and Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad