Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What I like most, even more than his shot, is the compete in the kid. He HATES to lose or be second best. Jets need to end this trade talk nonsense and lock him down. Laine needs to realize that the Jets top 6 are the right group to be around to extract the most out of him.
He hates to get that 2nd line treatment, less 5 on 5 minutes ect. If you watch F1, you know what I mean with this analogy:,he is not Valtteri Bottas, he is absolutely not going to sign to team where he has to be the "second best".

Blake wheeler is the primus winger in the team and every one else are 2nd grade, its shown in Jets. Plus wasting 3 years or so with defensive center of level he could've stayed playing with in Tappara might also be part of that feeling, he probably feels like its never going to get better at this point, if he wants to move on he needs to find a fresh start and so on... but at least paul statsny is actually top 6 capable in NHL, its not like playing with a star center but it is a big change. Good thing the realized they need 2nd line center now... wish they realized it earlier.

You cant just draft top talent, barry them in lower minutes with lower end center an expect them to be orgasmic about it. If Laine got to play with McDavid hed be a legend already. You dont always get the best luck but this hasnt been really good. But what good it has bring is how much better he is defensively now.. I guess that will be a benefit and fruit in the future, maybe made him player that can also win the stanley cup not just rack up points. Im thankful for jets about that, I bet he is too.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Was this put through Google Translate?
Point out the most obvious mistakes, if you are going to nag about the language. Or was it just too long for you to read, as its over two lines of text?

Edit: I divided the earlier text to 3 paragraphs. Maybe its easier to read now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrThomas

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He hates to get that 2nd line treatment, less 5 on 5 minutes ect. If you watch F1, you know what I mean with this analogy:,he is not Valtteri Bottas, he is absolutely not going to sign to team where he has to be the "second best".

Blake wheeler is the primus winger in the team and every one else are 2nd grade, its shown in Jets. Plus wasting 3 years or so with defensive center of level he could've stayed playing with in Tappara might also be part of that feeling, he probably feels like its never going to get better at this point, if he wants to move on he needs to find a fresh start and so on... but at least paul statsny is actually top 6 capable in NHL, its not like playing with a star center but it is a big change. Good thing the realized they need 2nd line center now... wish they realized it earlier.

You cant just draft top talent, barry them in lower minutes with lower end center an expect them to be orgasmic about it. If Laine got to play with McDavid hed be a legend already. You dont always get the best luck but this hasnt been really good. But what good it has bring is how much better he is defensively now.. I guess that will be a benefit and fruit in the future, maybe made him player that can also win the stanley cup not just rack up points. Im thankful for jets about that, I bet he is too.
Laine was #5 overall in the NHL in ice-time for RWs last season, with no PK time. He played with Scheifele as his main winger.

I think he is well on his way to replacing Wheeler as the #1 RW on the Jets, and it's not as though Wheeler has been a slouch in the past several years.

I think the larger issue for the Jets is whether they decide to restructure their roster by adding another top C or a #1 RD, and sacrifice wing scoring.

This season will determine whether the Jets go all in with Laine as their top-paid player, or go in another direction and use Laine as a high-value trade asset. Either way, Laine having a monster season is good for the Jets.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Look you guys...I don’t care about all of that prior years data. That’s ancient history.

Based on Laine’s single game yesterday, Laine is either off the market or Columbus will have to have some HUUUUUGE adds.

Look, I don’t make the rules. I am just summarizing Jets fans’ take after last night’s game.

If you don’t like it, we’ll consider adjusting our opinions based on Laine’s next game.
That's what Laine was for a large part of last season though.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Would Podkolzin be of any interest to Winnipeg? Obviously not one for one, but as a headliner in a futures based package?

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Would Podkolzin be of any interest to Winnipeg? Obviously not one for one, but as a headliner in a futures based package?

Laine too pricey for VAN...unless its Boeser for Laine. Boeser would be closer to home/family...so he'd probably sign long term in WPG. Plus VAN needs a skilled power forward like Podkolzin on an ELC.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Laine too pricey for VAN...unless its Boeser for Laine. Boeser would be closer to home/family...so he'd probably sign long term in WPG. Plus VAN needs a skilled power forward like Podkolzin on an ELC.

We definitely could use the ELC, but part of the trade would be jettisoning our own salary in Vancouver (one way or another, that's not on Winnipeg). Laine could help us out tremendously as well, and it's not as though we're trading for a Jagr or Chara. As for a powerfoward, we just need a forward, and Laine is a proven, if inconsistent, asset.

We would presumably lose Holtby (4.3 million) to Seattle, and if we buy out Eriksson's final year, we gain 2 million more. 7+ (I am leaving a cushion as I feel all three could go long term, sign a bridge deal or throw a wrench in the works, potentially, but based on Barzal's contract) for each of Laine, Hughes and Pettersson, Demko will need a new deal which I don't see exceeding Holtby's current deal in length or cap hit, and we use Juolevi (say 2 million at most?), Rathbone, Woo and resign Edler to a twilight contract for a year or two and we have 3 million or so left to adjust contracts, fill random holes and be cap compliant until Ferland is thrown on the LTIR at the start of the season. Boeser's contract ending coincides with Roussel and Beagle coming off the books.

It's doable, even if Winnipeg doesn't take a roster player back for next season (the big deal for me). With our cap the way it is, I'd ask Winnipeg to take a single year cap dump in Sutter (with an add), deep six Benn or someone else (Beagle?) and we have enough cushion to make sure we don't exceed this year.

My concern is how (if) a trade could be hammered out between the two teams, in terms of value returning to the Jets. I love Pod's game, I look forward to adding him to our core, but if Laine is available, I am also a big fan of his game.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The athletic has some interesting speculation. The Laine for PLD is seen over and over. but 2 suggestions were Laine for Zegras and PLD for Byfield.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine is not going anywhere especially now that we know the aging wheeler is on the decline.

Laine has 2 more RFA years left after this season. He might try to force arbitration if he is not offered a monster max long term deal. He has negotiation leverage to some degree. The only thing the Jets control is 2 more RFA years.

VanisleCanucks

Oct 19, 2017

Thought the same thing about Boeser in Wpg. Seems to make sense, and we'd obviously be crazy not to try for Laine & Petey. How many ++ would it take to get there?
Probably require a big trade demand from Laine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad